2016 Formula 1 British Grand Prix

What I can't understand is why were they so willing to give Nico information when they had locked lips with Hamilton in Baku when arguably the stakes were much higher (in 1st place and a long way from the end).
I bet Sky Sports were bitching about Rosberg getting advice that Lewis didn't. :rolleyes:

Well, the VSC can easily make or break your race at random depending on whether you've pit or not. Ricciardo's race was destroyed by the VSC as he had already pit while his team mate and the Mercs could pit under VSC and lose less time, while Perez made up 7 positions due to pitting under VSC. So I don't see it as a better option than a safety car.
It might not be better for one single driver who made a pit stop just before the VSC but it sure is a lot fairer for all the other drivers who by their skill or car advantage managed to get themselves into a decent position. People really need to stop thinking about what is best for their favourite single driver and what is best for everyone.

VSC is overwhelmingly a better option than a full safety car for fairness.

People really need to stop thinking about what is best for their favourite single driver and what is best for everyone.

It might be fairest, but it's not the "best" for everyone... if the guy in front of you is 8 seconds up the road, being bunched back is the best for you, doesn't matter who you are or if you're 2nd or last.

So I agree with this...

VSC is overwhelmingly a better option than a full safety car for fairness.

.. though, since I have no favourite driver or team these days, and occasionally attempt to watch F1 for enjoyment - I can't help but feel that bunching the pack up is overwhelmingly the better option for entertainment.

Well, the VSC can easily make or break your race at random depending on whether you've pit or not. Ricciardo's race was destroyed by the VSC as he had already pit while his team mate and the Mercs could pit under VSC and lose less time, while Perez made up 7 positions due to pitting under VSC. So I don't see it as a better option than a safety car.
As apposed to someone pitting just before a safety car loses out? Nothing that loses a driver the advantage they have earned is in any way fair at all.

How the hell is that on youtube.

Knowing how anal youtube is about copyright and how crazy the F1.com group is about F1 races on youtube, It should have been pulled.

F1 has become more lenient in the past year with videos. Furthermore, there is plenty of older videos even before they became lax(due to posting their own stuff officially) that were never taken down of quali laps, or race laps and so on. So no it shouldn't have been pulled unless the FOM really were searching and cared that much, and even if they did chances are it was from a new channel and not the FOM to begin with thus not really there's to pull down.

Also I'm pretty sure there are fair use regs that get around them if done properly.

I can't help but feel that bunching the pack up is overwhelmingly the better option for entertainment.

Simply bunching the pack up... yes. The larger problem is that you can lose 4 or 5 laps of the race that way. At least with the VSC it can run for just as long as required without all the extra shenanigans.

I've always said it, pit lane should be closed during SC/VSC. It should neutralise the race, not give someone a tactical advantage.

I've always said it, pit lane should be closed during SC/VSC. It should neutralise the race, not give someone a tactical advantage.
I agree with you on that. Problem with that is what if someone needs to pit to change a wing or tyres for safety reasons? And the other issue I can see with that is your position on track when a VSC period ends could also hand you an advantage. Maybe a rule that you must complete a full lap after VSC period ends before you pit?

I agree with you on that. Problem with that is what if someone needs to pit to change a wing or tyres for safety reasons? And the other issue I can see with that is your position on track when a VSC period ends could also hand you an advantage. Maybe a rule that you must complete a full lap after VSC period ends before you pit?

Nothing would be perfect and I guess if you pitted you would have to prove it was for reasons other than a regular stop. Broken wings and damaged/punctured tyres would be pretty obvious and more often than not it'd be the cars involved in the reason for the SC. Yesterday though for example, nobody should've pitted under VSC IMO.

I just hate seeing race orders massively change because people get lucky when they can pit under a SC.
By closing it however, who ever pits right before also gains an advantage.

True, it'll never be perfect but unless it is a Singapore style incident nobody can actually know when a SC is coming so it is still lucky but unforseen, I just hate it when you get SC/VSC deployed, some cars happen to be just at pit entry, others around the track and they lose out.

I just want to see the SC/VSC doing it's sole job, neutralising the race for safety. Not used as a strategy option.

Simply bunching the pack up... yes. The larger problem is that you can lose 4 or 5 laps of the race that way. At least with the VSC it can run for just as long as required without all the extra shenanigans.

True, some safety car periods are painfully long. I'm not anti-VSC by any stretch, just pointing out that it can have it's drawbacks.

In disciplines where the racing can get quite strung out anyway it can inject a bit of excitement, in races that are already nail-biters I think VSC would definitely be the best option. IMHO F1, or DTM for instance, is nearly always the former, so I don't mind the pack getting bunched up a bit. In touring car racing and especially shorter races, VSC would be preferable to me. Endurance racing would be harder to call, though Le Mans and the 'Ring pretty much need their own rules anyway.

But lately Martin Brundle sticks to the front three rows of the grid, and only really talks to drivers and team personnel who happen to walk by.
I remember the good old days (which weren't that long ago) when he took the time to even walk down to the Minardi and Jordan boys to have a quick chat.

I think my favorite random 'Brundle encounter' during a grid walk would have to be him bumping into and interviewing Nick Mason some years ago in Montreal.

I just want to see the SC/VSC doing it's sole job, neutralising the race for safety. Not used as a strategy option.
Any safety period in motorsports can be used strategically. In fact, you'll see teams factor that into their decision making (NASCAR is a prime example). Only way to avoid it is to have no incidents during a race. That just didn't happen at Silverstone.

The silver lining is that safety periods is a random factor (with one glaring exception in 2008). Mercedes and Perez just had some luck. Conversely, Mercedes bungled it with Hamilton at Monaco by miscalculating the advantage of a safety car.

Ferrari F1 car + Red Arrows?
f1-british-gp-2016-kimi-raikkonen-ferrari-sf16-h.jpg

Great photo

Just getting round to watching the F1 now, really good overtake by Verstappen on lap 16 around the outside of Becketts! Rosberg should have driven into the side of him as he's apparently entitled to. :P

Don't forget about the incident between Vettel and Massa at T3/Village where Vettel ran so wide Massa went completely off. Looked like he did kind of lock up though, so I'll give in a little bit of slack. He did get penalized after all.

Don't forget about the incident between Vettel and Massa at T3/Village where Vettel ran so wide Massa went completely off. Looked like he did kind of lock up though, so I'll give in a little bit of slack. He did get penalized after all.

Yeh, just seen that, Vettel made a mistake and ran wide, so should of given the place back, but using PMs logic that should of been fine :P

The lock up is likely the reason he got a five second penalty instead of the ten second one Rosberg got in Austria. Which I kind of agree with... then again, that also opens up the door to people doing a Schumacher-like "Oh oh oh, I've lost control of the car" pantomime (remember Monaco?) while running people off to minimize that penalty...

Yeh, just seen that, Vettel made a mistake and ran wide, so should of given the place back, but using PMs logic that should of been fine :P

Austria was a long time ago. Let's drop it and enjoy the peace, please.

I am still annoyed at the safety car start, i think we were robbed of a battle ! They were all too spaced out when they were released to race. Also, 5 laps was far too many. I am sure the drivers would have chosen a grid start given the option.

I am still annoyed at the safety car start, i think we were robbed of a battle ! They were all too spaced out when they were released to race. Also, 5 laps was far too many. I am sure the drivers would have chosen a grid start given the option.

At the very least they should have just essentially turned it into a rolling start. One lap behind the SC then off you go. I've also seen suggestions of adding a regulation to allow for 2/3 non-race SC laps at the start of a wet race to allow them to get some heat into their tyres, disperse some water and then bring them back around for a normal start.

Last edited:
When they do those safety car starts they ought to red flag the race so they can take grid spots and start like normal.

It was raining but it wasn't a torrent or a monsoon. A rolling start ought to have sufficed.

Back