2016 Formula 1 British Grand Prix

I didn't even think there were rules applied, just "good sporting intentions" in the name to be honest. I think I'm just realising that I wanted to see Nyck de Vries have a chance, and I'm sure he will sometime.

I think I'm just realising that I wanted to see Nyck de Vries have a chance, and I'm sure he will sometime.
It probably won't happen for a while; Stoffel Vandoorne is McLaren's obvious priority. No doubt they'd like to see Vandoorne and de Vries once Button and Alonso move on or retire, but de Vries doesn't seem to be living up to expectations. He's really struggling in GP3, upstaged by Leclerc and Albon.

His performance in the 1st race last weekend was nuts though, 19th to 5th including the 5 sec penalty he got.

I'm a huge fan of Vandoorne and can't see McLaren NOT giving him a race seat next year, plus his solid Bahrain performance. For these reasons, it would be good for McLaren to look further afield in their development program and try to help Nyck. As you say, he has yet to truly stand out on the GP3 grid.

Roo
Probably because during the race weekend you aren't confined to the section of track between Club and Abbey.

http://www.silverstone.co.uk/events/2016-f1-team-test/

Doesn't sound so bad... the last time I was raped for a GP ticket I was pretty much confined to a 25cm square piece of concrete standing room at Copse from about 7:30 in the morning till the race finished, mostly unable to move from that spot as we were buried deep in a very dense cluster of part-time motorsport fans. It also didn't take me 6 hours to complete the 18.5 mile drive home last time I went to testing, and also it's TEN pounds, you probably can't buy a burger and a beer for that on race day!

Does suck a bit though I suppose, IIRC last time it was open from Vale/Club to Copse.

I had booked yesterday off work to go and take some photos, but since I like to complain about both the state of F1 these days, and Silverstone as a venue and as a circuit, I've mostly decided neither will get any money from me again.

I'm a huge fan of Vandoorne and can't see McLaren NOT giving him a race seat next year, plus his solid Bahrain performance. For these reasons, it would be good for McLaren to look further afield in their development program and try to help Nyck. As you say, he has yet to truly stand out on the GP3 grid.

I can, both their current drivers have shown that when the car is working they can take it to a good place in the points. It's McLaren that have to bring the car, not the drivers. To be honest, I'd say if those two had a car equal to the Ferrari and RBR they'd be probably the most dangerous threat to Mercedes due to how fast and experienced they are and how much more they want to prove before leaving. It's up to McLaren and Honda to give that ability more consistently, hopefully with the freedom of the engine regs next year this will be the case.

It's not the case that either Button or Alonso are underperforming, more that Vandoorne has proven himself a real talent. If they don't get him in 1 of the seats next season then I am sure other teams will be circling to tempt him away, plus he will only get better for both learning from and being compared to one of either Button or Alonso. It certainly worked with Hamilton...

It's not the case that either Button or Alonso are underperforming, more that Vandoorne has proven himself a real talent. If they don't get him in 1 of the seats next season then I am sure other teams will be circling to tempt him away, plus he will only get better for both learning from and being compared to one of either Button or Alonso. It certainly worked with Hamilton...

All the other important teams are locked up, so if he's smart he'll just sit tight, at worst he starts with them in 2018. Everyone else is booked until then anyways other than Ferrari with Kimi, but they have their own young drivers along with current drivers that are supposedly still linked with them.

He's getting to run in a series with plenty of former F1 drivers and even other race respects, so that's plenty of teaching for now, along with being their simulator driver as well. He's logging plenty with McLaren Honda, they don't seem to have forgotten him since he's on the payroll.

Yep now everybody in the field can use their radios again and only get a 10 sec penalty for it so in the end it will be even.
Yes, except its only a 5 second penalty, since Rosberg received two instructionss. Horner has acknowledged your point too, saying the floodgates are now open. This story is only going to get bigger.

http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/20...-now-fair-game-after-lenient-rosberg-penalty/

“If it’s just a five-second penalty or a reprimand, it’s fair game for the rest of the year,” Horner told reporters, including Reuters, before the stewards confirmed Rosberg’s 10-second penalty.

“There will be loads of messages that will take into account whether it’s worth five seconds or not.

“There’s loads of information that we would like to give the drivers but we can’t.

“The question going forward is ‘are these rules right for Formula 1?'”

Yes, except its only a 5 second penalty, since Rosberg received two instructionss. Horner has acknowledged your point too, saying the floodgates are now open. This story is only going to get bigger.

http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/20...-now-fair-game-after-lenient-rosberg-penalty/

“If it’s just a five-second penalty or a reprimand, it’s fair game for the rest of the year,” Horner told reporters, including Reuters, before the stewards confirmed Rosberg’s 10-second penalty.

“There will be loads of messages that will take into account whether it’s worth five seconds or not.

“There’s loads of information that we would like to give the drivers but we can’t.

“The question going forward is ‘are these rules right for Formula 1?'”

It wasn't, it was a 10 second penalty for the instructions regarding 7th gear. The first gearbox reset one was deemed ok.

Also it's not a set penalty. They could have chosen 5, 10, 20 or DSQ. Teams can't say what they like and just assume it's always 10s, it's judged on the severity and circumstances as is the case with most penalties. Hence why the decision took so long, it was unprecedented so they had to make the right judgement.

It wasn't, it was a 10 second penalty for the instructions regarding 7th gear. The first gearbox reset one was deemed ok.

Can you tell me where you found that info ? I tried to look for it but couldn't find anything other than the article they broke on the rules.

There it is:
F0ibZBb.png

So yeah you were right

Last edited:

The official ruling stated the following:

Having considered the matter extensively, the Stewards determined that the team gave
some instructions to the driver that were specifically permitted under Technical
Directive 014-16. However, the Stewards determined that the team then went further
and gave instructions to the driver that were not permitted under the Technical
Directive, and were in Breach of Art. 27.1 of the Sporting Regulations, that the driver
must drive the car alone and unaided.

Now whilst it doesn't specify exactly knowing the two instructions he was given and the order then it was the second one, for avoiding 7th, that they fell foul on.

Back