2016 Formula 1 Grande Premio do BrasilFormula 1 

haha Toto Wolf called Jos Verstappen to ask him to talk to his son. "Please don't spoil our championship race by reckless driving".
Well Max did hit Rosberg into Turn 1 of the Mexican grand prix, so I can understand that he's worried. Just two races left and best Max can finish is 4th overall. 1 point behind Kimi, 10 behind Seb. No need for going 'win it or bin it' against one of the championship contenders in my eyes (please no "if you don't go for a gap"). If he can make a clean and 'safe' pass, go ahead. If not, stay behind and wait for a better chance.

Just my two cents.

Well Max did hit Rosberg into Turn 1 of the Mexican grand prix, so I can understand that he's worried. Just two races left and best Max can finish is 4th overall. 1 point behind Kimi, 10 behind Seb. No need for going 'win it or bin it' against one of the championship contenders in my eyes (please no "if you don't go for a gap"). If he can make a clean and 'safe' pass, go ahead. If not, stay behind and wait for a better chance.

Just my two cents.

Fair point... but as noted by @prisonermonkeys Verstappen doesn't back down. One might ask "why should he?".

One might ask "why should he?".
Because of the potential to interfere with the championship fight. It's an unspoken rule of racing that if you're not in the title fight, you don't put yourself in a position where you can negatively affect the outcome. By all means, fight at the front, but don't risk contact. Given his reputation, Verstappen probably needs to have that made clear.

It's an unspoken rule of racing that if you're not in the title fight, you don't put yourself in a position where you can negatively affect the outcome. By all means, fight at the front, but don't risk contact. Given his reputation, Verstappen probably needs to have that made clear.

I agree... but why should any driver adhere to that? The drivers who've ignored such unspoken rules have turned out to be the most successful in the sport. If Verstappen can stay within the written rules (both new and old) and go for a win then why not?

Passing wise I don't think Verstappen has a precedent to be dirty, it's the defence but with the new rules, it in theory shouldn't be a problem.

Because of the potential to interfere with the championship fight. It's an unspoken rule of racing that if you're not in the title fight, you don't put yourself in a position where you can negatively affect the outcome. By all means, fight at the front, but don't risk contact. Given his reputation, Verstappen probably needs to have that made clear.

*cough* Vettel 2008 *cough*

Hoping for a Hamilton win and Rosberg 8th to tie them up in the championship for the final race (on points, wins and 2nds) to make for a proper decider.

Nice job Grosjean, Haas in 7th. Kimi came through as well, plus Kvyat beat Sainz, a good day for the underdog. Looking forward to a messy race tomorrow.

Good quali, strange how Rosberg seemed to drop it in the last sector. He was fractionally up after S2 on both runs.

Hoping for a Hamilton win and Rosberg 8th to tie them up in the championship for the final race (on points, wins and 2nds) to make for a proper decider.

...and in a surprise return Vitaly Petrov will be driving for Renault in Abu Dhabi.

Good quali, strange how Rosberg seemed to drop it in the last sector. He was fractionally up after S2 on both runs.

...and in a surprise return Vitaly Petrov will be driving for Renault in Abu Dhabi.
DRS exists.

Was he up on Lewis's first or second lap?

On both runs he was faster at the second split by a tiny amount, then lost it to the line.

Oh thought he was up on Lewis's first lap, Brundle was saying Lewis was two tenth up in the middle sector IIRC.

He probably needed pole if it's a wet race tomorrow.

Oh thought he was up on Lewis's first lap, Brundle was saying Lewis was two tenth up in the middle sector IIRC.

He probably needed pole if it's a wet race tomorrow.
Lewis was something like over two tenths up at second split time on first Q3 run compared to Nico IIRC. Second Q3 run, Nico was 0.02X up on Lewis pole lap at second split.

Lewis was something like over two tenths up at second split time on first Q3 run compared to Nico IIRC. Second Q3 run, Nico was 0.02X up on Lewis pole lap at second split.

Oh that makes sense, Nico must have messed that last turn up.

Just got the data from F1 Fanatic.

Rosberg did a 16.619 in the final sector on his first lap in Q3 and a 16.750 on the second. A difference of 0.131 seconds, and he lost pole by 0.102.

Is it me or has Lewis been a bit 'cocky' this weekend, saying stuff like he has got Nico covered and even though it's a hard racetrack but he is owning it.

Mind games?

Probably. Not much else he can do, it's mostly out of his hands. He needs to do something to edge Rosberg out of second, might as well try mind games.

Back