2016 Formula 1 Grande Premio do BrasilFormula 1 

Is it possible for the championship to end in a tie and if it did what would happen?

Both crowned champion, shootout or championship goes to one with most wins.

I don't think Rosburg or Hamilton will settle for both being crowned champion .

Is it possible for the championship to end in a tie and if it did what would happen?

Both crowned champion, shootout or championship goes to one with most wins.

I don't think Rosburg or Hamilton will settle for both being crowned champion .

I think it can only finish as a tie on points with two possible scenarios.

• Hamilton finishes 2nd with Rosberg 7th - Hamilton wins championship with 9 wins, four 2nds and four 3rds (beating Rosberg's two 3rd place finishes.)

• Hamilton finishes 4th with Rosberg out of the points - Rosberg wins with 9 wins and four 2nd's (beating Hamilton's three 2nds.)

I think it can only finish as a tie on points with two possible scenarios.

• Hamilton finishes 2nd with Rosberg 7th - Hamilton wins championship with 9 wins, four 2nds and four 3rds (beating Rosberg's two 3rd place finishes.)

• Hamilton finishes 4th with Rosberg out of the points - Rosberg wins with 9 wins and four 2nd's (beating Hamilton's three 2nds.)
There's one other possible scenario... Rosberg leads and Hamilton is second - Rosberg pits first and drops to 10th and Hamilton takes the lead... then there's a massive crash/terrorist attack/earthquake/plague of locusts/rain* (in that order of likelihood) and the race is red-flagged and half points are awarded... Hamilton would get 12.5 points and Rosberg 0.5 pts, with Hamilton winning on countback. Watch out for any suspicious activity immediately after Nico's first stop, especially Bernie Ecclestone Anthony Hamilton carrying a large bag of locust food. #tinfoilhat

Last edited:
There's one other possible scenario... Rosberg leads and Hamilton is second - Rosberg pits first and drops to 10th and Hamilton takes the lead... then there's a massive crash/terrorist attack/earthquake/plague of locusts/rain* (in that order of likelihood) and the race is red-flagged and half points are awarded... Hamilton would get 12.5 points and Rosberg 0.5 pts, with Hamilton winning on countback. Watch out for any suspicious activity immediately after Nico's first stop, especially Bernie Ecclestone Anthony Hamilton carrying a large bag of locust food. #tinfoilhat

*Goes down to the betting shop to put £10 on this exact scenario*

Well that turned out to be a great race afterall, I'm glad the FIA let it run like that.
It also might have helped the drivers to get used to the conditions after so many SC laps, plus obviously they have to start racing quickly, before the tires cool down too much.
Great race from Verstappen, I wish he would always drive like that, without any contacts...

Scary stuff from Raikonnen. I actually thought he got took out by Verstappen, because he was right behind, but in the replay there was no Verstappen in sight... purely driving error, kind of weird, but he also got really lucky there obviously.

So, off to the next race then. zzZ...

If Verstappen spins Rosberg at turn 1 so he drops harmlessly to last, then we'd have the perfect race. Hamilton's driving in the last few racea means he does now deserve the title as well. If Rosberg can battle his way back into he places he needs to win the title, he'd deserve it. If he couldn't, Hamilton qould deserve it.

If Verstappen spins Rosberg at turn 1 so he drops harmlessly to last, then we'd have the perfect race. Hamilton's driving in the last few racea means he does now deserve the title as well. If Rosberg can battle his way back into he places he needs to win the title, he'd deserve it. If he couldn't, Hamilton qould deserve it.
So like Brazil in 2012?

There is one thing I liked about yesterdays race and I read through the thread just to see if it was mentioned but...

Max made 99% of that field look like they were Gran Turismo AI in the way that he was able to overtake those "top drivers of the world". If I were a team boss than I'd send all those beautiful weather drivers to a master class rain driving for this winter's stop, because only Max was the one looking for grip and testing the track during safety car situations and thus he ended up taking different lines... partly forced as he couldn't see, but he had to know if there was grip elsewhere on the track as well.

Amazing race it was. One of the rarer races in F1 history, that's for sure. It reminded me of Senna in his early F1 years during the 1984 Monaco Grand Prix where he gained on Alain Prost with 4 seconds per lap (on that tight soaked circuit), yet Alain Prost called for stopping the race early.

Slight problem with that. The track they will be racing on.....

There is one thing I liked about yesterdays race and I read through the thread just to see if it was mentioned but...

Max made 99% of that field look like they were Gran Turismo AI in the way that he was able to overtake those "top drivers of the world". If I were a team boss than I'd send all those beautiful weather drivers to a master class rain driving for this winter's stop, because only Max was the one looking for grip and testing the track during safety car situations and thus he ended up taking different lines... partly forced as he couldn't see, but he had to know if there was grip elsewhere on the track as well.

Amazing race it was. One of the rarer races in F1 history, that's for sure. It reminded me of Senna in his early F1 years during the 1984 Monaco Grand Prix where he gained on Alain Prost with 4 seconds per lap (on that tight soaked circuit), yet Alain Prost called for stopping the race early.
and Bellof was Forgotten despite being even Faster, in arguably a worse car.

If I were a team boss than I'd send all those beautiful weather drivers to a master class rain driving for this winter's stop, because only Max was the one looking for grip and testing the track during safety car situations and thus he ended up taking different lines... partly forced as he couldn't see, but he had to know if there was grip elsewhere on the track as well.
Hamilton was testing for grip too. He was continuously braking and accelerating when the safety car was out.

It happens to the best of them. See Senna and Schumacher.

To be fair, they were at least at racing speed. That, and those drivers have plenty examples to prove that their wet accidents are merely outliers.

Meanwhile this isn't even the first crash in the wet he's had this year.

To be fair, they were at least at racing speed.
As were Palmer and Kvyat. The crash happened as they accelerated after a safety car period. I'm not saying Palmer is a brilliant driver, but that accident was purely on a lack of visibility. Talent, or lack of, had nothing to do with it.

I don't think there was anything wrong with Palmer going for that move, it was a bit unlucky that they collided more than Palmer being lax or braindead or however useless as people seem to make him out to be.

Based on this race, I think F1 cars could have lights on the side and the front of the car that would be visible through spray and alert on-coming cars to a car that is facing the wrong way.... there was at least two occasions in Brazil where a very nasty accident was only narrowly avoided by luck or by the quick reactions of the on-coming drivers.

Vettel's spin brought back memories of my one and only time in petrol-driven go karts, when I managed to spin coming out of a banked curve and ended up pointing the wrong way with the entire field bearing down on me. It was only pure luck that I wasn't hit head on by a kart going 40 mph with a driver in it with no seat belt... I reckon we both could have been killed but for the fact that the other guy saw me at the last moment and swerved to avoid a collision. That pretty much ruined my afternoon, not to mention my underwear.

Based on this race, I think F1 cars could have lights on the side and the front of the car that would be visible through spray and alert on-coming cars to a car that is facing the wrong way.... there was at least two occasions in Brazil where a very nasty accident was only narrowly avoided by luck or by the quick reactions of the on-coming drivers.

Vettel's spin brought back memories of my one and only time in petrol-driven go karts, when I managed to spin coming out of a banked curve and ended up pointing the wrong way with the entire field bearing down on me. It was only pure luck that I wasn't hit head on by a kart going 40 mph with a driver in it with no seat belt... I reckon we both could have been killed but for the fact that the other guy saw me at the last moment and swerved to avoid a collision. That pretty much ruined my afternoon, not to mention my underwear.
A strip of LEDs along the rear wing endplates would not only be functional in the dark, but look utterly awesome! Like they use on the LMP1's
porsche-919-hybrid-lmp1-48.jpg

As were Palmer and Kvyat. The crash happened as they accelerated after a safety car period. I'm not saying Palmer is a brilliant driver, but that accident was purely on a lack of visibility. Talent, or lack of, had nothing to do with it.

It was a lack of race craft and he didn't think beyond "must overtake as soon as I can". Following that close he had no chance of slowing down if someone in front spun and Kvyat needed to slow, which happened, and in those conditions just after a restart there was always a good chance of it happening. He should have kept a safe distance or offset himself from Kvyat so that he had space to slow down without hitting him.

It was a lack of race craft and he didn't think beyond "must overtake as soon as I can". Following that close he had no chance of slowing down if someone in front spun and Kvyat needed to slow, which happened, and in those conditions just after a restart there was always a good chance of it happening. He should have kept a safe distance or offset himself from Kvyat so that he had space to slow down without hitting him.
Sorry mate but that is not the behaviour of a racing driver. To do what you suggest is not something that belongs on a race track. If you are not trying to pass you shouldn't be there.

Sorry mate but that is not the behaviour of a racing driver. To do what you suggest is not something that belongs on a race track. If you are not trying to pass you shouldn't be there.

Well thank you for the lesson on what racing drivers do or how they behave, I wouldn't know of course. To do what I suggest is how drivers behave when they're aiming to finish as high as possible at the end of the race, not at the end of the next lap. It was taking a big risk for the chance of a very small gain that he still easy could have gained driving more cautiously.

Taken from sky sports:

'A gentleman and a champion, Lewis Hamilton is finishing 2016 in style and scintillating form. The odds remain stacked against Lewis retaining his title even after his third win on the bounce and a wheel-perfect performance in Brazil that was at once both brilliant and easy.

While chaos descended behind him, Hamilton's class shone bright at the front as he led from start to finish in faultless fashion. "There were no mistakes, no issues, no spins," Lewis simply reported afterwards. Hamilton was in such control he even found the opportunity to watch replays of his rivals' various mishaps on the big screen while cruising around in conditions that caught just about every other driver in the field.

While the standings still point to Rosberg being crowned champion, the sheer magnitude of Hamilton's pace advantage over his team-mate in Brazil is worth dwelling upon.

Between laps seven, when the race properly started, and lap 13, when the Safety Car was first deployed, Hamilton had built up a 6.193 second lead over Rosberg.

Between the second restart on lap 31 and lap 49, when Massa crashed to trigger another stoppage, Hamilton had cruised 23.884 seconds clear of the second Mercedes.

And when they reached the chequered flag on lap 71 after the race got going again on lap 55, Hamilton was already 11.4 seconds ahead of his team-mate.

Let's just consider those numbers.

In total, Hamilton's various leads over Rosberg amounted to over 40 seconds. In just 33 or so laps of proper racing. Over the world championship leader in identical machinery.

Phenomenal.
Rating out of ten: 10'

Anyone else find that just a bit too pro Hamilton? I'm not suggesting he wasn't better this weekend, in the wet he was.

Especially when I'd guess most of us in Rosbergs position would just want to finish and avoid no crashing out or something like that.

Anyone else find that just a bit too pro Hamilton? I'm not suggesting he wasn't better this weekend, in the wet he was.

Especially when I'd guess most of us in Rosbergs position would just want to finish and avoid no crashing out or something like that.
Definetly so, Hamilton is one step ahead of Rosberg in the talent department, that's for sure, but Nico surely tried to race safely: he's aiming to win a world title, if he arrived second he'd be set for Abu Dhabi (apart for engine failures or the such, he won't come lower than 3rd), what was his interest in trying to keep up to Lewis' pace? Plus, he isn't the best out there in the rain.

Stay safe, get the points, win championship in two weeks. He did what he had to do, which was not showing off.

Taken from sky sports:

'A gentleman and a champion, Lewis Hamilton is finishing 2016 in style and scintillating form. The odds remain stacked against Lewis retaining his title even after his third win on the bounce and a wheel-perfect performance in Brazil that was at once both brilliant and easy.

While chaos descended behind him, Hamilton's class shone bright at the front as he led from start to finish in faultless fashion. "There were no mistakes, no issues, no spins," Lewis simply reported afterwards. Hamilton was in such control he even found the opportunity to watch replays of his rivals' various mishaps on the big screen while cruising around in conditions that caught just about every other driver in the field.

While the standings still point to Rosberg being crowned champion, the sheer magnitude of Hamilton's pace advantage over his team-mate in Brazil is worth dwelling upon.

Between laps seven, when the race properly started, and lap 13, when the Safety Car was first deployed, Hamilton had built up a 6.193 second lead over Rosberg.

Between the second restart on lap 31 and lap 49, when Massa crashed to trigger another stoppage, Hamilton had cruised 23.884 seconds clear of the second Mercedes.

And when they reached the chequered flag on lap 71 after the race got going again on lap 55, Hamilton was already 11.4 seconds ahead of his team-mate.

Let's just consider those numbers.

In total, Hamilton's various leads over Rosberg amounted to over 40 seconds. In just 33 or so laps of proper racing. Over the world championship leader in identical machinery.

Phenomenal.
Rating out of ten: 10'

That's nothing, try Andrew 'I Love Hamilton' Benson on for size - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/37970536

Well thank you for the lesson on what racing drivers do or how they behave, I wouldn't know of course. To do what I suggest is how drivers behave when they're aiming to finish as high as possible at the end of the race, not at the end of the next lap. It was taking a big risk for the chance of a very small gain that he still easy could have gained driving more cautiously.
You're welcome. Now, what is a racing driver? Someone who pushes to make things happen or someone who does what you suggest? Tip. If he does what you suggest then he isn't a racing driver. He's just someone who drives fast.

I had similar sentiments. While Gran Turismo is but a video game, I had seen enough Hamilton races in the rain for me to apply what he did in-game. I'm no rain master but people think I am because I know well enough that in many cases, you stay away from the usual racing line in the wet.

No discredit to Max because he still had to execute in actual conditions but I found it hilarious that many of the "best drivers in the world" didn't quite grasp a concept I knew. :lol:

They could add a LED spot light in the nose cone and it gets power via Pogo pins so no need to disconnect harnesses

Back