2016 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

Could it be that the teams were a bit overzealous to discredit the format even further? Or is there a link with an uncommon track temperature evolution due to the particular time of the day the session was run? Anyway, this was mostly uninspiring and defending the system at this point untenable. Nice to see Vandoorne confirming his status.

Williams stuck a nose on their car for quali without testing it in either practice??? That's a sign of a desperate team...

Uh that's impossible, do you have a link? In other words they can't legally run a new nose in quali because the car goes to parc ferme. Thus it will race, so the new nose would have had to been crash tested, they can't just get a new nose ready for Quali and stick it on.

@GTPorsche cleared it up 👍

Could it be that the teams were a bit overzealous to discredit the format even further? Or is there a link with an uncommon track temperature evolution due to the particular time of the day the session was run? Anyway, this was mostly uninspiring and defending the system at this point untenable. Nice to see Vandoorne confirming his status.
Nope. The 90 second timeframe for elimination doesn't allow them any room to mess around, and the lack of tires and inability to refuel in the pits removes any possible excitement.

Lewis really happy about his lap he can't stop talking about it.

Would you if you just did a lap in a engine format, that only two years ago got flak for being 4 seconds slower than V8s. Now look where it is? And also because let's be honest, up to now Lewis has been average compared to Nico and SV

Nearly half as small as the V10 and 30% more efficient and still manages to run a faster lap than the V10, and it'll be faster next year if the regulations are agreed upon and finalized.

Would you if you just did a lap in a engine format, that only two years ago got flak for being 4 seconds slower than V8s. Now look where it is? And also because let's be honest, up to now Lewis has been average compared to Nico and SV

It's impressive but engineering evolves so fast, he has looked off compared to Nico but found it a bit cringe when he was asked about tomorrow's start that he proceeds to yet again talk about how awesome his lap is.

Was it sexier than his Melbourne laps?

Wonder if he gets excited when he watches his laps :P

Meanwhile Rosberg looked like he was trying not to laugh at that topic of race starts and Hamilton. Though, he also had the same look on his face when Vettel said it might be possible to get a similar start in Australia as well.

Epic laps by the Mercedes boys. Both of them going faster than the V10s. Now race pace is where the lap time is lost. I don't think we're going to see race records broken thanks to the refueling ban.

So why didn't Lewis's first lap get invalidated? Ran off track and had fastest sector 3 time so surely shouldn't have counted? Can't help but feel if it was Nico there would be a lot more coverage

Did I miss something? This time last year everyone still would have been gunning to knock a tenth off, and now they're ending it with more than two minutes to go (at the time)?

So why didn't Lewis's first lap get invalidated? Ran off track and had fastest sector 3 time so surely shouldn't have counted? Can't help but feel if it was Nico there would be a lot more coverage

The FIA have a lot more data than us, I don't know if that sector time really was fastest but they could look at see how much he lost or gained specifically in that corner. Given the way he lost traction out there I'd be amazed if he gained time there and the gain was instead in the rest of the sector.

I just checked the FIA site and there is no investigation into it so they are presumably happy with it. I do notice he has been summoned for reversing in the pit lane though, about 8 minutes ago.

http://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula-one-world-championship/season-2016/event-timing-information-8

It's impressive but engineering evolves so fast, he has looked off compared to Nico but found it a bit cringe when he was asked about tomorrow's start that he proceeds to yet again talk about how awesome his lap is.

Just one of those moments, where he'll worry about tomorrow when it comes and rather relish what he probably thought he wouldn't get today.

Tobi Grüner ‏@tgruener 17s18 seconds ago

I heard there will only be a reprimand for Hamilton after reversing in the pitlane. But no official confirmation.

Also I fully expect Vettel to be leading out of turn one.

These manual starts make the beginning of the race so exciting. Mercedes obviously haven't done their homework like Ferrari.

So Hamilton gets a slap on the wrist for reversing in pit lane. Magnussen have to start from pit lane for passing a red light. Consistency isn't the stewards greatest strength by the looks of it...

Let's just hope they make an actual race of it. Ferrari got into the lead in Australia but there wasn't really any on track battles between them and the Mercs, that's obviously what we really want to see.

So Hamilton gets a slap on the wrist for reversing in pit lane. Magnussen have to start from pit lane for passing a red light. Consistency isn't the stewards greatest strength by the looks of it...

They only follow the rule books, repercussions of incidents are decided there, not by the stewards. They only decide whether they were guilty or not.

I've never seen anyone have a grid drop or worse for a minor pit lane infringement like that, because presumably, the rule book doesn't say there should be one.

The FIA have a lot more data than us, I don't know if that sector time really was fastest but they could look at see how much he lost or gained specifically in that corner. Given the way he lost traction out there I'd be amazed if he gained time there and the gain was instead in the rest of the sector.

I just checked the FIA site and there is no investigation into it so they are presumably happy with it. I do notice he has been summoned for reversing in the pit lane though, about 8 minutes ago.

http://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula-one-world-championship/season-2016/event-timing-information-8

So whats the wording of the rule then? There was a graphic after the first set of runs of the combined quickest lap and Hamilton's sector 3 was there. To me at least it didn't look like he lost much traction and kept momentum. On a separate point, if that was Monaco car in the wall out of qualifying (I'm talking about anyone now not just Lewis) personally I'd like the stewards to be hard line on it. The car crossed the white line fully and I thought that meant time invalidated?

The result of the investigation:

The Stewards, having received a report from the Race Director, heard from the driver and team
representative and examined video/audio evidence, have considered the following matter, determine a breach of the regulations has been committed by the competitor named below and impose the penalty referred to.

A reprimand has been imposed on the driver due to the fact that no clear instruction
was given to the driver on where he should park the car after qualifying.

So that is fine by me, he only reversed because he wasn't properly directed where to park.

So whats the wording of the rule then? There was a graphic after the first set of runs of the combined quickest lap and Hamilton's sector 3 was there. To me at least it didn't look like he lost much traction and kept momentum. On a separate point, if that was Monaco car in the wall out of qualifying (I'm talking about anyone now not just Lewis) personally I'd like the stewards to be hard line on it. The car crossed the white line fully and I thought that meant time invalidated?

It should, and I'm with you on that generally speaking, but the FIA have always taken it on a case by case basis as well as corner by corner because, well, the FIA. They determine whether an advantage was gained or not (and that is what the rule says, roughly), and if it was, then the time is removed.

As I say they obviously looked at the corner by corner data and judged he didn't, even if the overall sector was faster. For example if his S3 was three tenths up on his previous lap he may have gained four tenths in the first part of the sector but lost a tenth in that last corner. In that situation the lap would stand.

I don't know if that is the case for a fact since they don't publish that data, but that is my assumption.

Last edited:
Im really impressed by how much development has happened in the last year, the rate of time gain on last year must be a new record or close it.

Im really impressed by how much development has happened in the last year, the rate of time gain on last year must be a new record or close it.

And people complain that the current cars are slow-ass hoovers. The 2017 cars will - if the proposed changes gets the OK - be the fastest F1 cars ever.

These manual starts make the beginning of the race so exciting. Mercedes obviously haven't done their homework like Ferrari.

Mercedes has started to develop their own clutch according to Auto-Motor-Sport, confirmed by Toto Wolff, but it will probably take a few month until they can use it. Could be interesting when Ferrari gets their new turbo before Mercedes gets the new clutch.

Vandoorne's 12th place is the highest qualifying position for a Belgian since 1992. Thierry Boutsen at the Japan GP :cheers:

I really want Stoffel to get his seat in F1. Not for his talent. Not for his GP2 stats. Just for his name.

Stoffel. I love it.

Back