2016 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

Just remove the rule that they have to start the race on their fastest lap from Q2 tires. Then Q2 won't be so awful.

Q1 and Q2 suck again. Seriously how hard can it be to get it right? Probably ego at work so they just can't admit it's wrong.

Maybe even have them use the tires they have to turn back in during practices for qualifying instead of forfeiting them outright.

Hammy should have that (His first in Q3) lap DQ'd - way off track...

He should be P8 not P1...

But he did do the fastest lap ever of all time...

(Edited for context)

Last edited:
Ryk
Hammy should have that lap DQ'd - way off track...

He should be P8 not P1...

But he did do the fastest lap ever of all time...
I had the same thought, he had the fastest sector 3 that time by...

Well, at least it wasn't as bad as Australia's qualifying session.

Eh, that wasn't much better though.

As for my predictions this weekend. Of course the moment I replace lewis with rosberg for pole, he belts out the fastest lap of any GP car at this track...

And I replaced DR with Bottas and showed me why that was a jack ass move. I still have the race but RBR tend to get strategy right, and Williams don't realize they have plays to call during the race.

CfDKgzbUMAAOedJ.jpg

It did suck again, it's the inherit flaw of the fact drivers have to do their runs early to avoid the drop, then run out of tyres. FIA are never going to have their planned last battle between the last two cars over the line.

Mind you not only was the format rubbish again, it was full of technical issues. Everyone lost 30+ seconds at the start of Q2 because the lights didn't work, which really wasn't fair on a knockout system, and then the countdown system failed twice in Q3.

In both Q2 and Q3 most drivers only had time for one run, at the start. As Christian Horner said, it's arse about face.

The system itself showed it's one advantages with the last cars having a clear track for themselves, it also showed it's disadvantages of that being terrible for the rest of the field.

There's no way to make this elimination format work. They need to revert back to the previous format now.

To me an elimination system only works in a race format, like it does in video games. Not that I'd actually want it anywhere near a real life race, of course, but I don't think it could ever work in a qualifying type format where each car has to go in and out of the pits.

EDIT:

Interview with Todt from before quali today, he claims Q1 and Q2 were widely received positively and only Q3 had issues, that's why he put only that on the table. Said he'll look at it again after today, and then have another look. Surely he'll still not think Q1 and Q2 are fine and positively received. Yes, he even claimed most fans liked them.

Last edited:
I think two 15 minute sessions and a shootout featuring the ten drivers with the fastest laps of the two sessions combined would be better.

Or even take the average of the two sessions to determine who gets a shot at the shootout session.

Back