2016 Mazda2 | Mazdaspeed2 being considered?

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 254 comments
it still uses a torque converter, but it gets stuck between gears at times. Using Sport Mode eliminates that. Also when using the sequential shifter. Normal auto, it'll shift from 1st through 4th pretty quickly in normal driving. Going around corners it's like it gets confused.

I find the 3 and 6 work fine. The CX-5 is almost like the 2. The CX-3 is good too, as far as the automatics.

It shifts pretty fast though, just can't make its mind up.

Got manual anyway as its too much for auto and I prefer Manual anyway.

Well, if the EPA has MPG ratings for the 2 Hatchback, I'm pretty sure we're getting it... I heard a few people say that the US isn't getting it.

Plus, that manual 2 shifts just like a sports car. the throws are short and positive. Doesnt feel like I was driving an economy car.

Please post some photos when you get it...

I am falling in love with this little car...

So tempted to get this as my DD...

And since US doesn't like hatchbacks, expect to see Mazda 2 sedan instead, in the spirit of the hideous Ford Fiesta sedan.

And since US doesn't like hatchbacks, expect to see Mazda 2 sedan instead, in the spirit of the hideous Ford Fiesta sedan.
2016-scion-ia-01-1.jpg

It is true, though, to say that hatchbacks don't sell as well in America as they do in Europe. They also have an illogically poor image, as adamgp will tell you.

Some people associate hatches as being cheap and wagonlike. I've even had arguments with friends and family about opening hatchbacks and letting all the heat out and cold in during winter. Hatchbacks also get a bad wrap as being deathtraps because there's no protection with that big glass out back. Also drivers headlights beaming straight into the cockpit.
Some don't care that a Focus hatch can fit a wheelbarrow easily. You also have to remember, 3-door hatches were mostly offered in the states. Rarely a five door. So the inconvenience of having to get out and let passengers in was a pass by many. The Dodge Omn/Plymouth Horizon( and maybe the Mazda GLC) was like the only 5-door hatch before the Hyundai Excel Hatch and Sentra hatch came out. The rest of the world had 5 door hatches from the jump. If someone wanted a hatch with more than 4 doors, they were buying a wagon.

Hatchbacks are infinitely more practical then sedans though, just in a smaller package, by having a huge rear opening the size of things you can put in your car gets significantly larger.

It is true, though, to say that hatchbacks don't sell as well in America as they do in Europe. They also have an illogically poor image, as adamgp will tell you.

I can't really argue that they don't sell as well, especially outside of the compact market. But it's also hard to argue that they aren't increasing in popularity considering the growing number of hatchback options there are on the market right now.

Liking it soo far, the sound system is insane much better then any stock system I have encounted in cars I have had before (B8 Audi A4 system had a subwoofer and wasn't this good) liking the manual more as I drive it, the short shift is good, but I don't like the 4th to 5th change as it will go to 3rd if you don't actively push right as you shift.

Apart from that the car is basically more then what you would expect, also unlike other Mazdas I have drove the road noise at speed is very quiet its very refined.

Hard to think it's a Mazda 2 when your inside it, on another world compared to the previous version.

Also another thing im noticing is it feels like your driving a bigger car, the wheelbase is as long as the last gen Toyota Corolla which I used to own and at high speed feels like a Compact/midsize rather then a Subcompact, it does lose a little agility from it but overall makes it more tolerable for daily use, the big steering wheel also helps that feeling in that regard.

For the Money I spent 21K AUD it's a bargin compared to what else you can get.

The dash and shifter give it a way upmarket feel. The shifter is definitely one of the best ever shifter feels ever built. Butter smooth and positive. Having 6speeds also makes it feel more than an just an econobox. That shifter feel translates from the 2 through the CX-3 AND 3. Congratulations!

Yeah im liking the shifter the more I use it, Short Shift is very smooth, I haven't really driven Non basic cars for Manual apart from a 370Z I used at GT Academy, but I don't remember that so I have no basis to compare it to.

The driving position is good too, im 6 foot and prefer to sit low, and on this you can basically sit on the floor.

The HUD is also very useful once you get used to it.

Yes. I'm 6' and always set the seat at the lowest. I had to go to Botany Bay from western Sydney and back. 6hours total traffic for a 100km round trip :crazy: and the seat was fine.

Back