2016 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 10,093 comments
Joey had a run, Carl threw a block and it didn't work out.

It was Carl's fault and he took full responsibility, but really it was just racing for a win & championship.

That's now this thread works, we blame the driver we like the least regardless of what actually happened! :rolleyes:

(I'm not watching the race but judging by what I've read it's a simple racing incident)

Carl becoming the second coming of Mark Martin.
Worse than that. Edwards lost the championship in 2011 to a tiebreaker and today, he had the car to beat today and would've won if it wasn't for that caution. Then you see him get smashed into the wall like that.

Totally gutted because that may have been his last best shot. He's not getting any younger.

You know what? I respected Carl Edwards for a long while. Now? I got even more respect for him. His demeanor surprised me considering how his car got owned earlier this evening. I'm surprised he wasn't like, "Im'ma 🤬 up Joey Logano next season for the 🤬 he pulled against me." He's understandably upset; he's just not showing it. So my respect for Carl Edwards- WAY up. Still bummed he won't be champion this season, though.

I dislike Logano as much as the next guy, but he had a run, plain and simple. So many other drivers have made the same move as he did, Carl blocked him way more than others have blocked that move. Logano could have lifted, but Carl also could have stopped blocking before he did and it would have been avoided.

So it sounds like Carl went to block because he thought he'd lose the championship if he didn't. I don't fault him with that.
Another reason to reduce downforce, increase power, and raise the cars up off the ground. NASCAR has made some progress in the last few years to increase passing, but they need to keep going with it.

That's now this thread works, we blame the driver we like the least regardless of what actually happened! :rolleyes:

(I'm not watching the race but judging by what I've read it's a simple racing incident)
Because that's how most of the accidents on pretty much every thread goes. It's easier to blame the people that are hated instead of looking at the big picture (unless it's the IMSA thread and a GTLM Porsche is involved because there's like an 80 percent chance that they were responsible for the wreck).

Very true, I know most everyone here hates both the Penske boys.

I happen to like the Penske duo, and Carl as well.

Carl should've known Logano wasn't going to lift when he tried to block. Logano just doesn't think like that. If he sees a hole he'll go for it.

Edwards may not be champion this year, but he is undoubtedly a champion in sportsmanship.

"The People's Champion" comes to mind.

The heck are the announcers talking about? The #48 does not have the advantage here. He's on the bottom. The #18 is an absolute weapon whenever he's up top.

Jeez... that was a big one and a half. Absolutely gutted for Edwards, but proud that he took it the way he did. Surely he's gained a heap of respect from fans tonight. Here's hoping Johnson can win it all.

I do have one question about all this: wasn't Logano supposed to start behind Larson? I thought he was in 3rd coming out of the pits...:confused:

"The People's Champion" comes to mind.

The heck are the announcers talking about? The #48 does not have the advantage here. He's on the bottom. The #18 is an absolute weapon whenever he's up top.
Johnson hasn't had the car under him all night to win this, I could still see Logano fighting back and winning the championship. Hopefully Larson takes the race.

Yeah, unless Busch starts at least two positions behind Johnson, I can't see Johnson winning this, he's still struggling with that car and Busch, well he's got the best car of three right now by a lot.

Back