2016 Russian Grand Prix

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by SVT Cobra GT, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Christian_C

Christian_C Premium

English fans are some of the absolute worst when it comes to accepting another driver, team, nation, etc is performing better than their own.

You can't discredit Rosberg for Hamilton's misfortune, nor can you argue this isn't a simple rebalancing of the odds. Remember when Rosberg's car failed whilst leading the British GP, when it failed a few laps from the end at Monza and finally, when it failed during the 2014 title decider!

By contrast, Hamilton has issues but at least he is finishing the races in the points and not taking a complete 25 point loss.

Just accept that the luck is on Rosberg's side...currently.

DK, Nessy and LMSCorvetteGT2 like this.
  2. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

I'm not saying that every Hamilton fan is rabid, just that there is a small, vocal minority who ruin it for everyone. In my experience, Hamilton and Räikkönen fans are some of the most difficult to deal with - just try offering a negative opinion of either of them on the Autosport forums or F1 Fanatic and see what happens.

And people wonder why I don't care for British motorsport outside Rally GB.

3. Peter.

Peter.

I didn't mean to stir up so much controversy sharing my opinion on Rosberg. I just feel like I'm the only person that seems to remember when his greatest accomplishments before getting an unbeatable car were beating the likes of Nakajima, Wurz, and a 40 year old Schumcher. Out of all of these perhaps beating Schumacher was the only noteworthy accomplishment.

I shouldn't be so definitive with my statements, because then I'd have to question the ability of every champion or almost champion in the sports history, as you can be sure they all had a good car at the very least to help them maximize their talent, but I just can't shake the feeling that Rosberg is what would happen if you took a driver on Hulkenberg's level, threw them into a top team and didn't designate them second driver in the way Ferrari did it Massa or Barichello.

4. Eva

Eva Premium

My problem is that Rosberg will carry his momentum to the WDC and then carry the idea that it was all on merit when it wasn't. I like Nico a ton more than I like Lewis, and I place Lewis lower than Haryanto, who I still have to Google to make sure I spelled his last name correctly. But Lewis inarguably earned at least two of his championships, whereas Nico would have gotten the leg up early and just played defense. Now, that could all turn around, and Lewis could pull back to within 10 and Nico can outduel him to really impress, but F1 is a matter of extremes now really I think.

5. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne

There's no WDC scoring system for merit, it's points for the winner on the day. The person who is in a position to score the most points overall wins. Simple as that.

If you go down through history there are many championships that were won because the highest point scorer benefitted from a potential opponent's bad luck/reliability. You have to go all the way back to 2015 to find a reasonable argument for that.

niky and Angel like this.
  6. Antares26

Antares26

No one discredited Mika's '99 championship when Schumi broke his leg. If Nico can carry this momentum to a WDC, then it's a well-deserved victory.

Going back to the Russian GP, Nico basically got handed another free win, all he has to do is make a good start and then run away. It's his race to lose.

7. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne

Any news yet on Hamilton's start position? As I recall Mercedes thought he might take a grid penalty based on which parts would eventually require changing?

8. Eva

Eva Premium

Starting 10th still according to F1 app.

TenEightyOne likes this.
  9. Adam41

Adam41

Doesn't Sky show any coverage of the support races any more?

10. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne

Cool :) Just saw a confirmation on Sky, Mercedes were able to fix with no penalty. They flew parts to Sochi overnight, apparently.

11. Samus

Samus

Is that not the same for any driver? He had four years in a Williams that was never more than 4th or 5th fastest and he was getting good solid results, particularly in 2007 and two podiums in 08. 2009 was again solid with the new regs, Williams weren't up there but he scored points most races.

Then he went to the building Merc team and he again started very well in 2010, despite inheriting the Brawn the car was clearly not up there but he was solid all year and ended with double the points of Schumi. Sure it was old, not at his best Schumi but that is still a heck of an accomplishment. Mercedes slowly got better over the next few years and so did he, started taking poles and three wins across 2012-2013. They were still third or fourth best at most weekends (mostly thanks to their tyre wear) until 2014 though and I think he got the most out of it most weekends up until then.

He also won GP2 in one season albeit not against the greatest competition, the best being Kovalainen.

I don't think he's in the ultimate group of the best of the best drivers but to say he's never amounted to much and wouldn't be a worthy champion is hogwash, IMO. He's a top driver.

DK, LMSCorvetteGT2 and disinfected like this.
  12. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

There aren't any. Or if there are, they're just local events. The move from October to May made it impossible for GP2 and GP3 to be ready on time. Neither series even has a full grid yet.

Aderrrm likes this.
  13. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

And the insane fans strike again, flooding Sky F1's Twitter feed with accusations of conspiracies and sabotage against Hamilton. Shame on Sky for giving the bottom-feeders air time, but Toto Wolff handed it well - he looked apoplectic that people would even think that much.

JaimePL, ukfan758, FutureF1 and 3 others like this.
  14. PsuPepperoni

PsuPepperoni Premium

if only there were a shorter and more specific word for a car's "power unit"

15. NW48

NW48

I thought it was great that they named and shamed that small minority. Toto handled it with class, as usual. I got a good laugh out of the segment, anyway.

16. Antares26

Antares26

Bet he never expected that kind of bs when Crofty started reading, that he even took his earphones off! In usual Toto Wolff fashion, he still takes it like a pro.

17. NW48

NW48

Great tribute to Senna, Crofty.

A bit surprising that this is the first time F1 has raced on May 1st since that fateful weekend in Imola.

18. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

And Martin Brundle just groped Jenson Button live on international television ...

19. Tired Tyres

Tired Tyres

That's why I'm glad I haven't got Sky. Still, no competition for Rosberg means one I don't mind missing anyway. Just saw the Jerez MotoGP race on ITV4. Much better entertainment than F1.

20. Antares26

Antares26

Nipple tweak. :lol:

21. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne

"God bless Kimi" sez Bernie. Then remembers he meant Lewis. Not Kimi, Lewis. It's a conspiracy.

NW48 likes this.
  22. NW48

NW48

Weirdly, not for the first time.

23. Samus

Samus

Yep, and shame on Sky for even trying to further it. "Everyone loves a good conspiracy". No they don't, Crofty.

DK and TenEightyOne like this.
  24. Antares26

Antares26

We all see how unhappy Bernie looks during the grid walks, pretty sure it's because Rosberg has points lead.

25. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

The operative word is "good". If he said "everyone loves a crazy conspiracy", he might have been closer to the truth.

26. FutureF1

FutureF1

Thank you Toto for being professional... This is starting to sound like 2014 all over again. Hardcore Hamilton fans just can't stand the fact the Rosberg can beat him

27. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne

I took it to mean "good" as in "comprehensive, considerable" (eg a good dollop of mash), personally I think they were right to ask Toto what he thought. I also thought Toto's response was perfect.

28. twitcher

twitcher

Grand stands look pretty full

29. sems4arsenal

sems4arsenal Premium

Oh Seb

30. Ridox2JZGTE

Ridox2JZGTE

Damn, so many crashes in few turns, yellow flag :banghead: