2016 Verizon IndyCar SeriesOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter VNAF Ace
  • 8,011 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark Miles said during Fontana that the calendar would have 18 to 20 races in 2016. Currently, assuming that the PWC calendar confirms some IndyCar races, there are 13 races on the calendar. Texas, Milwaukee, Iowa, Phoenix, Pocono are all in that unconfirmed pile. If all of them came back for 2016, we'd be up to 18 races.

I've got an incredibly optimistic idea for a calendar in mind. Obviously this won't happen in 2016 as some races have already been confirmed not to happen, but maybe in a few years' time? Yes, it's really long, but don't forget CART used to have 20-race seasons without doubleheaders. Also I'm trying to take into account traveling costs and make as many consecutive races as possible take place close to one another.

St. Pete
Alabama
Phoenix
Long Beach
Mexico City
Indy GP
Indy 500
Detroit (doubleheader)
Iowa
Road America
Pocono
Toronto (doubleheader)
Mosport
Milwaukee
Mid-Ohio
Richmond
Houston (doubleheader)
COTA
Boston
Fontana

Confirmed

2/28 Mexico (rumored)
3/13 St.Pete
4/2 Phoenix (likely)
4/17 Long Beach
4/24 Barber
5/14 Indy GP
5/29 Indy 500
6/4-5 Detroit
6/11 Texas

6/26 Road America
7/9 Iowa (likely)
7/17 Toronto
7/23 Milwaukee (rumored) State fair runs from 8/4-8/14 so either here or 8/21 or 8/28
7/31 Mid-Ohio
8/21 ??? Pocono maybe?
9/4 Boston
9/18 Sonoma (almost confirmed)

I think Pocono and Milwaukee in August make the most sense otherwise the month has too much downtime. I moved the rumored July Milwaukee date to a Saturday since I doubt they will want to go head to head with the Brickyard 400 on 7/24.

Last edited:
Confirmed

2/28 Mexico (rumored)
3/13 St.Pete
4/2 Phoenix (likely)
4/17 Long Beach
4/24 Barber
5/14 Indy GP
5/29 Indy 500
6/4-5 Detroit

6/11 Texas (likely)
6/26 Road America
7/9 Iowa (likely)
7/17 Toronto
7/23 Milwaukee (rumored) State fair runs from 8/4-8/14 so either here or 8/21 or 8/28
7/31 Mid-Ohio
8/21 ??? Pocono maybe?
9/4 Boston

I think Pocono and Milwaukee in August make the most sense otherwise the month has too much downtime. I moved the rumored July Milwaukee date to a Saturday since I doubt they will want to go head to head with the Brickyard 400 on 7/24.
The whole Brickyard 400 weekend is a no go for IndyCar. There's policy stating that when events are being run at IMS, IndyCar won't run those weekends.

I think the list is very incomplete with a 2nd wave of tracks to be confirmed eventually, Iowa for example wouldn't be off the calender.

Imo only Mexico and Pocono would miss the list, the rest is just about sorting a date and a long term deal.

That seems pretty easy at this point in time.

This is good for the series though, Carlin are of the best European Race teams outside F1 it would be a quality edition to the series.

Yes it would. Would be interesting to see how they do in the series. Everything else they enter into, they end up being a top contender immediately.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/121614-indycar-mark-miles-on-2016-schedule-prospects

I dont see Iowa running a Sunday day race or Pocono running on a Monday

Confirmed

2/14 Mexico (rumored)
3/13 St.Pete
4/2 Phoenix (likely)
4/17 Long Beach
4/24 Barber
5/14 Indy GP
5/29 Indy 500
6/4-5 Detroit
6/11 Texas

6/26 Road America
7/9 Iowa (likely)
7/17 Toronto
7/31 Mid-Ohio
8/21 Pocono maybe?
9/4 Boston

Last edited:
And why exactly is it somehow a Problem now when it wasn't before? Okay, people went off and either lost many places or had a huge accident. Guess what? Respect the damn corner. We don't need More run off just because someone decided to run out of talent in that corner.

And why exactly is it somehow a Problem now when it wasn't before? Okay, people went off and either lost many places or had a huge accident. Guess what? Respect the damn corner. We don't need More run off just because someone decided to run out of talent in that corner.
We also don't need someone to be injured or killed at that corner.

We also don't need someone to be injured or killed at that corner.

That's the kind of knee-jerk reaction thinking we don't need.

People forget that part of safety that also has to work is the drivers being well aware of what they can and can't do. Like I said, that corner has work the way it had for years and as far as I'm aware, No series ever used a chicane there so why start now? if more curbing needs to be added, fine. There doesn't need to be a chicane.

The flavor of the track is that the corner stays. Have there been deaths at that corner? I didn't see anything in that run that indicated a specifically dangerous concern. And I was looking.

Yes, there have been problems at every track. Why Tilke a track just because?

People forget that part of safety that also has to work is the drivers being well aware of what they can and can't do.

I'm well aware of that, I'm also aware that parts break.

I'm not trying to say I want them to run the chicane, but they need to be more prepared than IMSA seemed to be when I was there a few months ago. I don't think it would be that hard to park an ambulance in the chicane next to where the safety car was parked.

I'm not trying to say I want them to run the chicane, but they need to be more prepared than IMSA seemed to be when I was there a few months ago. I don't think it would be that hard to park an ambulance in the chicane next to where the safety car was parked.

I was talking to the one that responded to your post.

It will be like this.

Dedicated safety team vs weekend hires.

And did she survive? I don't see anyone walking away that easily from THAT one....

But the point remains. We have better training (simulators) now, so the drivers will come in KNOWING the track better and will (hopefully) have no major problems.

And did she survive? I don't see anyone walking away that easily from THAT one....

But the point remains. We have better training (simulators) now, so the drivers will come in KNOWING the track better and will (hopefully) have no major problems.
What rock have you been living under? Mt. Everest? :lol:

(2012 photo...can't find a good 2015 one)
deltacoupe_2-620x350.jpg

That's the kind of knee-jerk reaction thinking we don't need.

People forget that part of safety that also has to work is the drivers being well aware of what they can and can't do. Like I said, that corner has work the way it had for years and as far as I'm aware, No series ever used a chicane there so why start now? if more curbing needs to be added, fine. There doesn't need to be a chicane.
Well then they should install the SAFER barrier or TECPRO barriers to save the precious no runoff area. There is no excuse for there to be a concrete wall there this day in age (same goes for Daytona, Indy in the short chutes and straights, etc.)

From just over 30 minutes ago....

I think that's recent enough. :P

Well I'm damn sure that more then confirms survival :lol:

Well then they should install the SAFER barrier or TECPRO barriers to save the precious no runoff area. There is no excuse for there to be a concrete wall there this day in age (same goes for Daytona, Indy in the short chutes and straights, etc.)

Wait, that was your problem? Why didn't you just say that instead of just calling it "Appalling safety standards"? That's literally the only problem with the corner and that by far does not warrant a chicane, just a wall less prone to killing you.

Also, Daytona? Pretty there are SAFER Barriers on the banking and a mix of Guard rail and tire barriers on the infield, not Concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back