2016 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Results and TalkTouring Cars 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 4,422 comments
  • 138,097 views
Not bad. I wouldn't really call it any better or worse than last year. Hopefully they keep the black wheels.
 
Kelly Racing missed a really good marketing opportunity with MS Paint.
 
And just Wait til Team Pen..er, DJRTP, get their claws into the pickinik basket of who's who in the V8 paddock.
Well if it's okay for Triple Eight to do it, I guess it's okay for everyone to do it. In fact, why do we even bother racing at all? Let's just have the teams show up in Adelaide and give the titles to whoever has the healthiest bank balance.
 
Well if it's okay for Triple Eight to do it, I guess it's okay for everyone to do it. In fact, why do we even bother racing at all? Let's just have the teams show up in Adelaide and give the titles to whoever has the healthiest bank balance.

Erebus for the win
 
Well if it's okay for Triple Eight to do it, I guess it's okay for everyone to do it. In fact, why do we even bother racing at all? Let's just have the teams show up in Adelaide and give the titles to whoever has the healthiest bank balance.

That's a ridiculous argument. Do you want a salary cap or something? This is how sport and business for that matter work. Do you think any team tables an offer to a driver only after considering if it's fair for others?
 
For all the team's money, RBRA Dane did win the invisible Team Championship. All their money couldn't get them the DC. Whincup wasn't on point but, Lowndes was. Mostert was on his way to probably win the title and PRA to get the TC.

Can't fault RD for signing with Vodafone and then Red Bull. Smart decisions.

You know? During the 2015 C'hip. I thought how lucky Tim Edwards was that Whincup wasn't 100%. Then, I started to think how unlucky Frosty was, in that he was going to lose out to his teammate. It goes along with Whimcup losing the last 3 Bathursts. Everyone wasn't lucky that Whincup made mistakes. Everyone that had a chance, won those races because they were the best at surviving. Money can't buy that.
 
This is continued from the Worst Liveries thread to save that going off topic.

2012 was the year Holden redirected money from their smaller teams to Triple Eight to get them to renew their contract.

Its just a colour! Vodafone is red, Holden is red. Doesnt matter what shade of red it is, both their corporate colours are mainly red! It doesnt mean there is some wild conspiracy theory that Simon was marking his territory or anything. If that is true, why are the cars now completely blue? Where are these clear statements on this years car? Or last years? Or the year before that?

In 2008 (for the 2009 season) Ford redirected funds from 888 and DJR to SBR and FPR. The Ford boss even said that its because they want their cars blue. If anyone has shown to be marking their territories, its Ford, and they admitted it. Holden are not petty like Ford were at the time, hence why RB are now using a blue livery.

"and a lot of the merchandise and paraphernalia produced at the time claimed credit for the previous year's championship, even though it had been won with a different manufacturer." - this is totally incorrect. Again, Jamie won the 2011 championship (in a Holden).
 
This is continued from the Worst Liveries thread to save that going off topic.



Its just a colour! Vodafone is red, Holden is red. Doesnt matter what shade of red it is, both their corporate colours are mainly red! It doesnt mean there is some wild conspiracy theory that Simon was marking his territory or anything. If that is true, why are the cars now completely blue? Where are these clear statements on this years car? Or last years? Or the year before that?

In 2008 (for the 2009 season) Ford redirected funds from 888 and DJR to SBR and FPR. The Ford boss even said that its because they want their cars blue. If anyone has shown to be marking their territories, its Ford, and they admitted it. Holden are not petty like Ford were at the time, hence why RB are now using a blue livery.

"and a lot of the merchandise and paraphernalia produced at the time claimed credit for the previous year's championship, even though it had been won with a different manufacturer." - this is totally incorrect. Again, Jamie won the 2011 championship (in a Holden).

Don't forget this is a Commodore, in shock horror - blue! Damn politicians, and corporate greed!
V8SCTEST%201WHINCUPA.JPG
 
At least it looks like they made an effort this time. Unlike last years livery where all they did was pretty much cross out Lockwood and put Freightliner in it's place.
 
It's looks slick! Very nice. But again, most renders do (I'll wait for it to hit the track).
 
It's alright, not especially great to me, but not bad.
 
Prodrive reveal on Monday, maybe? No idea what the deal is with the Mustang in the tweet.

 
Last edited:
Prodrive reveal on Monday, maybe? No idea what the deal is with the Mustang in the tweet.


Purely going on the picture, maybe PRA is revealing a special road car that they've tuned?
 
Nissan and V8DC also talking about the GT3 engine. I wonder if the Super GT500 engine is given a thought. Though, the GT3 engine is proven to last 24hours. Is there a weight difference between the 4T and V6TT? Must not be in it as much, power wise.
 
As far as I see, they have 3 options:
  1. GT500 spec Inline-4
  2. GT3 spec 3.8L V6 TT
  3. LMP1 3.0L V6 TT (hey, this program is cancelled, might as well use the engines...)
 
Last edited:
Just taking everything from him and pushing him aside.
How many times have Triple Eight been forced to double-stack and it just so happens that Lowndes comes off the worse of the two drivers? I think the team are thinking of the future when Lowndes leaves - whatever the circumstances - but it does look like they're trying to squeeze him out.

I honestly think Craig will retire in the next year or 2
I think he'll stay in the sport for as long as he can get a competitive drive.
 
Maybe he'll retire in a Ford(Mustang). :sly:

Seriously, as long as he doesn't have to worry about double stacking this year, he'll cruise along. More than ever, he has nothing to lose. He won't lose his seat and he won't run out of talent. If Davison somehow is on par with Lowndes, I'll be surprised.
 
I think Lowndes should have switched to GT Racing a while ago now, he seems to enjoy it more and it's a lot more team first than what V8SC is.

But on the latest development, I am starting to think the only reason why he is still a part of Triple 8 is down to his loyalty and Triple 8 keeping him as held down as possible as he brings in the fans, which in turn brings in merchandise sales, which means more money, etc etc.
 
http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/02/01/mcpherson-to-engineer-svg-at-red-bull/

Just taking everything from him and pushing him aside. I would not be surprised if Craig leaves for a different team in '17.
I've followed Craig Lowndes since he started in Formula Ford back in Feb '91. I even got 6 laps in the same car at Sandown later that same year (best day of my life).
If you ask me, CL will drive for 888 for the rest of his Supercar career. When he retires from the full time gig, he'll team up with JW or SVG for the enduros and give Brock's Bathurst record a real scare. I hope he breaks it too. He already holds the record for Bathurst podiums.
At the start of last year, I was really nervous about Shippy becoming his new engineer as he'd had a long time partnership with Jeromy Moore & Shippy had to learn the 888 way of 'rowing the boat' but look how it turned out. He had a better year than JW for the first time since 2006, which makes it all the more weird that they're being split up. I'd really love to know the reasons behind the thinking and, as @TDZdave says, I hope it is Ludo as his new engineer. He's probably the smartest cookie in the whole 888 jar!
The best thing for CL this year is he won't have to stack behind JW in pitlane. Watching that happen always sent my temperature of the clock.
Can't wait to see his Caltex car.
 
I've followed Craig Lowndes since he started in Formula Ford back in Feb '91. I even got 6 laps in the same car at Sandown later that same year (best day of my life).
If you ask me, CL will drive for 888 for the rest of his Supercar career. When he retires from the full time gig, he'll team up with JW or SVG for the enduros and give Brock's Bathurst record a real scare. I hope he breaks it too. He already holds the record for Bathurst podiums.
At the start of last year, I was really nervous about Shippy becoming his new engineer as he'd had a long time partnership with Jeromy Moore & Shippy had to learn the 888 way of 'rowing the boat' but look how it turned out. He had a better year than JW for the first time since 2006, which makes it all the more weird that they're being split up. I'd really love to know the reasons behind the thinking and, as @TDZdave says, I hope it is Ludo as his new engineer. He's probably the smartest cookie in the whole 888 jar!
The best thing for CL this year is he won't have to stack behind JW in pitlane. Watching that happen always sent my temperature of the clock.
Can't wait to see his Caltex car.

Agreed. I also feel Craig is being good and smart about the situation. He is getting older, he still has some of the best equipment available to him, so its not as bad as it seems. 888 have to think about the future and Lowndes has to think about himself. Its the best for both of them.
 
Back