2016 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Results and TalkTouring Cars 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 4,422 comments
  • 138,097 views
Tree'd. Oops. :lol:

Just on the Lowndes thing too. I think at this stage of career anyway he values Bathurst more than the championship. Doesn't really make much difference who's engineering his car, he's still driving the best equipment out there.
 
Last edited:
This is (reportedly) the Lowndes livery for this season...
aXQJBBC.jpg

Pretty much as expected.
 
So we remember this;

Well, here is the news;


Read into it however you want, I guess.

I saw a red Mustang GT for the first time. Its okay. The rear looks good. It is wide and low. Definitely would make a nice race car if Ford gives dealers the go ahead.
This is (reportedly) the Lowndes livery for this season...
aXQJBBC.jpg

Pretty much as expected.
That's fine. I welcome new liveries. Some however, are questionable but, it's good for the viewing.


The way the pitlane is, feels like early V8 Supercars with different team sponsors. Also feels like everyone are going for self, more than before, rather than a team effort.
http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/championship/pit-lane-order-revealed-2/
 
Car looks alright but the headlights look shocking. MTAA Super seem to have left PRA for Lowndes too.
 
Prodrive reveal on Monday, maybe? No idea what the deal is with the Mustang in the tweet.



Maybe they want to race it in the V8 Supercars but I don't think the rules allow two door cars I don't know.
 
So much hype and promise for what can only be described as a let down.
 
Sums it up exactly.

Edit: Video.




Wow, the fact that PRA won't have to worry about double stacking their two main cars is a huge plus for them. Smart move to switch Mostert over to the #55.

Thanks for linking the video :cheers:
The thing that I most happy about with the new pitlane order is Craig won't have to put up with having his races ruined by stacking in pitlane anymore & that'll have to add up at the end of the year.
He'll easily beat Davison.
 
Probably had too many blue headlight covers to get rid of. Hopefully they change them to white or red. Looks corny with those blue ones.
 
Probably had too many blue headlight covers to get rid of. Hopefully they change them to white or red. Looks corny with those blue ones.
I understand what you're saying. The different colour blue doesn't blend well with the blue bodywork. I'd like to see them try red or just run the headlights uncovered. Red would take me back to the days when he was at HRT and they had the lights wired to only use the high beam portion closest to the grill. That car looked evil at Bathurst in '96.
I don't reckon the white would work, not for me anyway.
 

Have the rules for the pitlane order changed in the last few years? It used to be if you were to group two garages, the teams have to go to the lower positioned team.

For example 888 and Tekno pairing up, if this was a few years ago 888 would be down the back because Tekno finished 9th in the teams standings, instead they get jumped up to the second garage. Same thing with PRA and Super Black/Rod Nash.
 
Surprised at howmuch I like the Lowndes design, given that the teal-blue is a horrible colour. It shouldn't look like a trainwreck, but it's quite the opposite.

Read into it however you want, I guess.
I read it as "never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down" because I heard so many rumours rannging from Ford recommitting funding through to an announcement of the Mustangs as their 2017 car, but in the end, it wasn't much "news".
 
Have the rules for the pitlane order changed in the last few years? It used to be if you were to group two garages, the teams have to go to the lower positioned team.

For example 888 and Tekno pairing up, if this was a few years ago 888 would be down the back because Tekno finished 9th in the teams standings, instead they get jumped up to the second garage. Same thing with PRA and Super Black/Rod Nash.
I assume Roland Dane complained about it and changes were made when no-one was looking.
 
I quite like the new Lowndes livery. It's a bit like the old SBR livery, but with a few changes here and there. Much better than what the Red Bull livery is now, for sure.
 
This render with the headlights uncovered looks a million times better. Still not overly huge on it but the more images I see, the more it's starting to grow on me.


That looks awesome :drool: Someone should email that image to RD at 888.
A lot better than the blue covers. Probably more a dark tint than clear though. Having said all that, if you watch the video & look at the stills in the Speedcafe story, I think they've tried a few different shades of blue.
 
I agree. Maybe add Blanchard to that list.
So many real players now. DJRTP, a healing Courtney, Moffat, the Nissans, Reynolds(I think he'll find the Commodore is more tosable than the FG X from what we've seen), BJR should be strong, Holdsworth not worrying about his future, Pither, Percat is going for blood this year. Last year for the Falcon road car. I think it's going to be an insane season.
 
In which parallel universe?
Just because Rick Kelly doesn't want to call it, does not mean he and Caruso won't step it up. We'll see good things happening for them this year. Im calling it.
 
Kelly Had a good year last year the best placing in the championship from any Nissan driver since they joined in the V8s, but i feel like progress is limited by their inability to make a good car.
 
Just because Rick Kelly doesn't want to call it, does not mean he and Caruso won't step it up. We'll see good things happening for them this year. Im calling it.
As far as the Nissans are concerned, they must be happy with the aero package as its the first time they haven't scrapped it and gone back to the old drawing board. For this reason, and looking at the results from last season, I think they'll get left behind. Unless of course they've found another few BHP & Nm from their engines.
Nissan HQ must be the team that's spent the most in Supercar history for the return they've seen in race results. Besides the time the Norton cars ran on a tank full of jungle juice at Winton, what have they got to shout about?
I like Todd & Caruso but wouldn't give the time of day to Rick. He's a paper champion that bumped his way to a trophy. Dale Wood is there because he's convinced someone to tip in a bucket of money for the drive. He spent most of last two seasons on the back row in a BJR Commodore and that's gotta be a better ride than the 4th Nissan full stop.
 
I don't think Nissan have spent that much compared to other teams tbh, if they did they would be poaching staff from the good teams and drivers as well, The Signing of Wall basically shows their lack of money.

GRM are probably in a similar boat, but they have been able to keep most of their good staff from the era they where getting good results and they have a proper Talent in Mclaughlin.
 
The $1mil(AUD or comparable Yen?) NISMO contributed last year, went somewhere. The cars are performing better. They've not got a win, in true form, as Erebus and Volvo have done. The cars aren't lacking in power unless the numbers are fuddged. I believe they make the most power. How that power is spread may need fine tuning. The Altima had too much downforce to start. That is resolved. It has always handled well. Needs no fixing there. If they can remain calm in good positions, they will continue to place well. If Rick didn't knock himself out in Darwin, they'd be even with EMV8.

Everyone are stuck on his past misdeed. Even my wife hates him. I'm not a fan but, he did pull through in those last races. I don't know what NISMO see in Caruso. They treat him like the second coming of Mario Andretti. Once he stops getting happy feet when he qualifies well, he can finish top 10.

Gotta remember, it's hard for all 4 cars to finish top 10. Look who they had to push out of the ten: 2 RBRA, 1 TEKNO, 3 PRA, 2 HRT, 1 Volvo, 1 WALKINSHAW, 2 BJR, 1 DJRTP...I've already run out of places. It ain't easy. For Rick to get those podiums were good achievements in this series.

On another note: I'll mention again, some of those DVS liveries look better than main game liveries
images

BJR DVS
 
The $1mil(AUD or comparable Yen?) NISMO contributed last year, went somewhere. The cars are performing better. They've not got a win, in true form, as Erebus and Volvo have done. The cars aren't lacking in power unless the numbers are fuddged. I believe they make the most power. How that power is spread may need fine tuning. The Altima had too much downforce to start. That is resolved. It has always handled well. Needs no fixing there. If they can remain calm in good positions, they will continue to place well. If Rick didn't knock himself out in Darwin, they'd be even with EMV8.

Everyone are stuck on his past misdeed. Even my wife hates him. I'm not a fan but, he did pull through in those last races. I don't know what NISMO see in Caruso. They treat him like the second coming of Mario Andretti. Once he stops getting happy feet when he qualifies well, he can finish top 10.

Gotta remember, it's hard for all 4 cars to finish top 10. Look who they had to push out of the ten: 2 RBRA, 1 TEKNO, 3 PRA, 2 HRT, 1 Volvo, 1 WALKINSHAW, 2 BJR, 1 DJRTP...I've already run out of places. It ain't easy. For Rick to get those podiums were good achievements in this series.

On another note: I'll mention again, some of those DVS liveries look better than main game liveries
images

BJR DVS
If what you say is true and the Nissan is the most powerful engine, I can only assume that it must have a narrow powerband or lack in torque. I have no facts or figures to back that up but I just suspect it's a byproduct of its configuration. Supercars were pushing it up hill to expect to balance the existing pushrod designs against the new OHC Merc, Nissan & Volvo engines. For some reason, Nissan didn't go down the flatplane crank avenue like Merc or Volvo. That Volvo engine isn't lacking for anything except reliability. In some ways I'm sad to see the Mercs go but I can hardly blame Betty for calling it quits. If Merc had got behind her and serious about their involvement, they could have made everyone look silly. It didn't sound half bad either.
If anyone puts a car in the top 10, they've done a remarkable job. Everytime a past champion, in a top car, in a top team misses out by a tenth or two, it proves to me just how competitive the series is. With control this & control that, it's a case of relying on your engineer to be on top of the shocks and tyre pressures & making sure your job as the driver gets absolutely eveything out of the car. Leave a hundredth behind at every corner and it's goodbye top 10. Not even NASCAR on its shortest oval is that close.
I agree with you about some of the liveries too.
 
Back