2016 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Results and TalkTouring Cars 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 4,422 comments
  • 138,102 views
Looks similar to the ANZAC livery last year which was one of their best so should be good.

And, here is the DJRTP livery for Clipsal with the rotating sponsorship a feature again this season
http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/championship/djr-team-penske-unveils-shell-livery/
View attachment 512256

I like it. Still stays similar to last, but it's just been made a bit more basic. Notice no more Xbox sponsorship, but have Hogs Breath on there
Watch this team make progress this year.
 
Really like how simple and clean that Shell livery is. Looks great.
 
I would like to see the old yellow and blue Shell design from the mid-1990s return.
 
Nice Ford logo displayed there.
If it was my team & I wasn't getting a dollar from the company, they'd get the badges at best. Maybe they know something we don't.
 
The MARC V8 fits that bill. Changing the shape and dropping an I4, V6, V8 under the bonnet ticks all those boxes.
 
The MARC V8 fits that bill. Changing the shape and dropping an I4, V6, V8 under the bonnet ticks all those boxes.
With no local car manufacturers at the end of next year, the time is over for local inventions that separate us from the rest of the world.
Australia needs to join the rest of the world and adopt an international formula & GT3 is the best around at the moment.
 
The MARC V8 fits that bill. Changing the shape and dropping an I4, V6, V8 under the bonnet ticks all those boxes.
I could see cars that are Falcon, Commodore or S60 on the outside, and GT3 on inside. The appeal of V8 Supercars has always been their resemblance to road cars, and while the likes of the McLaren, Bentley, Audi and Mercedes AMG are exotic, I think they're too far removed from the affordable cars.
 
I would rather they go towards what the fans want rather then the Manufacturer's.

The fans have more power and always will.
 
I was going to type my original thought but, scratch that.

If Warburton opened the gates to have teams enter the M6, R35, R8, 650S, RC-F, Bentley, 911, Huracan, AMG, 488 and scrap Gen2, who wouldn't count their losses for that?
 
If Warburton opened the gates to have teams enter the M6, R35, R8, 650S, RC-F, Bentley, 911, Huracan, AMG, 488 and scrap Gen2, who wouldn't count their losses for that?
I'd question the long-term sustainability of it. How would teams like LDM and Britek afford to compete? What would happen to Australian GT? Allowing the cars you listed to compete would effectively replace V8 Supercars with a sprint version of Australian GT, and I think it's a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to the popularity of the Bathurst 12 Hour.

Having cars that are GT3 cars internally would allow a wider range of manufacturers to enter. But keeping the traditional four-door sedan body shape would make the series more relatable for audiences. Sure, Audi wouldn't be able to enter the R8, and it's a pretty car, but who can afford one? The appeal of V8 Supercars has always been in the way the series is consistent with touring cars in that the base models are readily available to the general public, but the body shapes have been consistent with the demands of the domestic market. And I don't think that should be sacrificed for the sake of having exotic sports cars.
 
Now for the short version of my original thought:

I was going to relate this all to Gr.A.
Not only were there some exotic/luxury cars(jag V12 and M6), there were the Sierras, Supras, Mustang, Alfa, Volvo. As well as multiclass racing with hachirokus in the mix. The cost of running a V8SC must be greater than running a GT3. Unless I'm mistaken, most or all of the R&D are done by the manufacturer. If LDM can run 2 cars for a full season, they must have enough change left over.
A small team would think it a godsend if all they had to do was tune the car, knowing they have the same power and equipment as a top team.

I'm not making an argument for or against. I'm just trying to think about what this would mean to the current teams in V8SC and the DVS. I would love to know what the big teams are texting each other right now.
 
I'd question the long-term sustainability of it. How would teams like LDM and Britek afford to compete?

LDM ran a Gallardo at the 12 Hour, though to be fair it was an arranged deal with Performance West Motorsport who own the car.
 
No.

There's already the Australian GT series and there are plenty of GT3 spec series around the world. The appeal of V8SC for me is their current format. 2017 changes are enough as it is. Leave it alone.
 
Gen2 rules need to be etched in stone already. Nissan want to stay on. I don't know if Volvo will continue. There will for sure be 20 Holdens and 6 whatevers if they don't get it right.
 
Gen2 rules need to be etched in stone already.
I thought they were? We're just waiting for everyone to figure out what they are going to do. And I am sure we'll start hearing about it quite heavily this year.

Nissan want to stay on.
They are still talking, but it's not confirmed yet.
 
GT3 cars are around half the price of a V8SC to purchase, though if they were going to take that path they would need to twist it to their own formula a little, beef up the bhp, get all of the weights of the cars closer, only use the large GT3 cars like the Bentley, GTR, Jaguar, Camaro, and try get teams to get funding to build other cars of that size, like the mustang and the big sedan shape 2 door Mercedes, make them all FR cars, take away the ABS and TC, remove some canards and away we go...
 
GT3 cars are around half the price of a V8SC to purchase, though if they were going to take that path they would need to twist it to their own formula a little, beef up the bhp, get all of the weights of the cars closer, only use the large GT3 cars like the Bentley, GTR, Jaguar, Camaro, and try get teams to get funding to build other cars of that size, like the mustang and the big sedan shape 2 door Mercedes, make them all FR cars, take away the ABS and TC, remove some canards and away we go...

I wouldn't mind seeing a similar thing to NGTC in the UK - spec shell and control parts, but otherwise free to do what you want.Would cut down on costs a lot and more makes could be represented.
 
I wouldn't mind seeing a similar thing to NGTC in the UK - spec shell and control parts, but otherwise free to do what you want.Would cut down on costs a lot and more makes could be represented.
Just about to say this, but I don't think it would end up with same result as it's easier to have everyone use 2.0L turbos as nearly every brand has one, but if you start getting into the 3L plus range more modification is needed. plus teams in V8SC are much larger, and with a penalty ballast system it gets hidden on how close it really is.
 
Just about to say this, but I don't think it would end up with same result as it's easier to have everyone use 2.0L turbos as nearly every brand has one, but if you start getting into the 3L plus range more modification is needed. plus teams in V8SC are much larger, and with a penalty ballast system it gets hidden on how close it really is.

Well with a larger engine displacement etc yeah, I meant the basic ethos of the regs with spec parts helping to bring costs down.
 
I can't believe we're seriously discussing this. :lol:

It would be like scrapping BTCC or WTCC and all the teams running GT3 machinery. Just doesn't seem right at all.
 
It would be like scrapping BTCC or WTCC and all the teams running GT3 machinery. Just doesn't seem right at all.
I think the suggestion is to make cars that are internally consistent with GT3 or TCR regulations to make the series more appealing to new manufacturers rather than outrught replacing the cars with GT3 machinery.
 
It would be like scrapping BTCC or WTCC and all the teams running GT3 machinery. Just doesn't seem right at all.

I agree as well. The Falcon will be gone. 2017 sees the Commodore's last year. So, I'd like to know exactly what cars will be locked in from 2018. I can only see Holdens on the grid at the moment.
 
No point turning a V8 Supercar championship into a whatchamacallit GT3 series. One thing I would love to see in the future is a grid with 4 cylinders, 6 cylinders and 8 cylinders as the Gen 2 formula suggests could happen. The series HAS TO diversify if it wants to continue running, and they should work on a balance of power like the GT3 formula of late and it will make the racing more interesting while being just as competitive.
 
Cars qualify within a second across the field. Sometimes it's the circuits. Drivers pass at Bathurst, Adelaide, and Pukekohe. Yet, struggle to pass at Albert Park and Phillip Island.
 
I'd be fine with the series just having substantially more standardised parts. If a manufacturer comes in, they should only have to bring an engine and the body shell. Perhaps even an optional standardised engine for teams who wish to bring in a new body style without manufacturer backing.

People will be upset that they'd no longer be 'touring cars' but they're far removed from that class anyway. As long as the cars are still just as difficult to drive, with minimal aero dependency, while still being entertaining, I'd be happy and so would the average viewer.
 
Stay away from the whole wide body aero too please. I love how close the current cars look to their street car counterparts.
 
Back