Sports Cars 2016 WeatherTech SportsCar Championship

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Northstar, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Northstar

Northstar Premium

I don't think Panoz has any interest in going the customer route as he has always ran his own cars.

2. IforceV8

IforceV8

There is nothing stopping him from developing a P2 car next year with bodywork and a Elan engine.

catamount39 likes this.
  3. catamount39

catamount39

Yes, I mean they are a manufacture and could make their own DPi car.

4. Northstar

Northstar Premium

I know, but he seems to like designing and making the entire chassis. I don't think he would be satisfied just doing a couple body panels (I can't recall what exactly they are allowed to change).

5. IforceV8

IforceV8

Let me rephrase my previous post, there is nothing stopping him from buying one of the 4 approved chassis and doing a body/engine package.

6. Northstar

Northstar Premium

I'm not saying there is, just that I don't think doing that would interest him.

7. IforceV8

IforceV8

Other things that he dislikes - champagne, podium celebrations, confetti, and winning.

Northstar likes this.
  8. GTPorsche

GTPorsche

As bad as it looked on the LMP, it's going to look worse on the Deltawing.

[​IMG]

9. TheElbows

TheElbows

While the Deltawing is an interesting design idea...simply put it can't compete genuinely at LMP1 levels. If reliability was solved maybe it would match up better with the older slower LMP2 cars, but it really just drives around being noncompetitive. They get excited when it sets a decent lap in qualifying.

You want to do something weird? Build the Deltawing as the new LMP3 car. Two birds with one stone...save some gas, weight, blah blah blah. I love weird stuff in motorsports, but it serves less purpose with no cars to compete against. Much like the Mazda diesel prototype from the past few years.

10. Northstar

Northstar Premium

Which is pretty understandable considering their budget is a fraction of what the other chassis manufacturers work with.

I've always been curious how well the Deltawing would be if they had some consistent money coming in.

11. cnd01

cnd01

The thing I'm most disappointed about is that the Conti challenge has become a shell of its former self now under IMSA management. They've gone from a consistent 30 cars every round in GS and ST to not having more than probably 10-12 GS and 18-20 ST cars in each round. Costs have skyrocketed that the teams that have the money are moving to GTD because it's not worth racing GS when it's that expensive. GS lap times have gone from 2.00 to 1.56 since 2010 at Daytona. ST has gone from 2.08 to 2.04 also. That's so much extra stress on equipment that the operating costs of teams are too high to compete. That along with IMSA allowing GM to cheat and build the Camaro and not sell to more than 2 teams is ridiculous.

TDZdave likes this.
  12. IforceV8

IforceV8

Furinkazen and catamount39 like this.
  13. aarror

aarror

Agreed, CTSC was probably the best sportscar series in the world a few years ago. Sad to see it falling apart.

cnd01 likes this.
  14. catamount39

catamount39

ukfan758 likes this.
  15. TDZdave

TDZdave

Its just cash grabbing plain and simple, they were getting another 20 odd cars coming over from another series, probably figured the grid would be to big so by lifting the costs they could make some money and deter some of the smaller teams

lxmmy likes this.
  16. catamount39

catamount39

Would solve their problem quite easily by just adopting GT4 for GS and some grass roots Touring Car regs for ST. I mean, seriously. IMSA just do that.

Edit: Also, there's a perfect model in Europe for budget endurance racing...it's a little thing called VLN. ;) Just borrow their GT4 class and then the class with Miata's and TC cars in it.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    ukfan758 and TDZdave like this.
  17. IforceV8

IforceV8

catamount39 likes this.
  18. IforceV8

IforceV8

19. catamount39

catamount39

20. Clark

Clark Premium

Beast. image.jpeg

fortbo, Northstar, ukfan758 and 3 others like this.
  21. catamount39

catamount39

Ah, the uber panzer is ready to roll I see. :p Biggest GT car in America now with Dyson's Bentley effort having been shut down. :sly:

22. lxmmy

lxmmy

23. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

It's not hard for me to swallow just proves that a tiny car with a nice sized V8 will be loved by many because it's a small car in all. The M6 is a better car to be honest for this type of racing I'd say and just like the M3 will prove to be fast around the track I'm sure.

Which will quickly become annoying.

24. TheElbows

TheElbows

The M6 looks excellent all dolled up for the dance. The Deltawing's livery is god-awful. The U.S. flag is fine and dandy but it sure makes for tacky/terrible interpretations. Either way - hope they get something out of that car this year (doubtful).

25. MustangManiac

MustangManiac Premium

No worries, I am sure the Ford will become much more annoying to you Chevy fans :sly:

tbwhhs likes this.
  26. Holdenhsvgtsr

Holdenhsvgtsr

I found it funny that the Z4 was faster without the rear bumpers...

27. TheElbows

TheElbows

But...what happens if it's a complete failure? Ford already doesn't do a whole lot in this area of motorsport. I'd hate to see them pack up their stuff for another 5-6 years.

28. catamount39

catamount39

M6, ugly, silent, no soul. Corvette (GTLM), Aston Martin (GTD), Viper(GTD)...defeat za Germans! :mischievous:

That awkward moment when the damaged car is faster than in mint condition. :p That damage nearly won them the race last year. :lol:

Furinkazen likes this.
  29. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk

Lotta trash talkin' up 'n this thread hyaw' :lol:

Clark and Furinkazen like this.
  30. FutureF1

FutureF1

upload_2016-1-7_19-22-29.png

New DW livery isn't terrible... Though the white test livery from last year is my favorite so far... Hopefully DW can fix their issues and get some good points.

dylanlikes88, ukfan758 and Furinkazen like this.