2016 WeatherTech SportsCar ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 4,512 comments
All of that means he has a Mexico free car this year. Just buy a Oreca 05 and stop wasting time with a car that doesnt work,and never will.

I don't think Panoz has any interest in going the customer route as he has always ran his own cars.

There is nothing stopping him from developing a P2 car next year with bodywork and a Elan engine.

I know, but he seems to like designing and making the entire chassis. I don't think he would be satisfied just doing a couple body panels (I can't recall what exactly they are allowed to change).

Let me rephrase my previous post, there is nothing stopping him from buying one of the 4 approved chassis and doing a body/engine package.

Let me rephrase my previous post, there is nothing stopping him from buying one of the 4 approved chassis and doing a body/engine package.

I'm not saying there is, just that I don't think doing that would interest him.

As bad as it looked on the LMP, it's going to look worse on the Deltawing.

361683803_2980c8431b_z.jpg

While the Deltawing is an interesting design idea...simply put it can't compete genuinely at LMP1 levels. If reliability was solved maybe it would match up better with the older slower LMP2 cars, but it really just drives around being noncompetitive. They get excited when it sets a decent lap in qualifying.

You want to do something weird? Build the Deltawing as the new LMP3 car. Two birds with one stone...save some gas, weight, blah blah blah. I love weird stuff in motorsports, but it serves less purpose with no cars to compete against. Much like the Mazda diesel prototype from the past few years.

They get excited when it sets a decent lap in qualifying.

Which is pretty understandable considering their budget is a fraction of what the other chassis manufacturers work with.

I've always been curious how well the Deltawing would be if they had some consistent money coming in.

The thing I'm most disappointed about is that the Conti challenge has become a shell of its former self now under IMSA management. They've gone from a consistent 30 cars every round in GS and ST to not having more than probably 10-12 GS and 18-20 ST cars in each round. Costs have skyrocketed that the teams that have the money are moving to GTD because it's not worth racing GS when it's that expensive. GS lap times have gone from 2.00 to 1.56 since 2010 at Daytona. ST has gone from 2.08 to 2.04 also. That's so much extra stress on equipment that the operating costs of teams are too high to compete. That along with IMSA allowing GM to cheat and build the Camaro and not sell to more than 2 teams is ridiculous.

The thing I'm most disappointed about is that the Conti challenge has become a shell of its former self now under IMSA management. They've gone from a consistent 30 cars every round in GS and ST to not having more than probably 10-12 GS and 18-20 ST cars in each round. Costs have skyrocketed that the teams that have the money are moving to GTD because it's not worth racing GS when it's that expensive. GS lap times have gone from 2.00 to 1.56 since 2010 at Daytona. ST has gone from 2.08 to 2.04 also. That's so much extra stress on equipment that the operating costs of teams are too high to compete. That along with IMSA allowing GM to cheat and build the Camaro and not sell to more than 2 teams is ridiculous.
Agreed, CTSC was probably the best sportscar series in the world a few years ago. Sad to see it falling apart.

Its just cash grabbing plain and simple, they were getting another 20 odd cars coming over from another series, probably figured the grid would be to big so by lifting the costs they could make some money and deter some of the smaller teams

Would solve their problem quite easily by just adopting GT4 for GS and some grass roots Touring Car regs for ST. I mean, seriously. IMSA just do that.

Edit: Also, there's a perfect model in Europe for budget endurance racing...it's a little thing called VLN. ;) Just borrow their GT4 class and then the class with Miata's and TC cars in it.

Last edited:
Its a hard tidbit to swallow knowing the M6 is more aero efficient then the Z4, Both are stunning cars,

It's not hard for me to swallow just proves that a tiny car with a nice sized V8 will be loved by many because it's a small car in all. The M6 is a better car to be honest for this type of racing I'd say and just like the M3 will prove to be fast around the track I'm sure.

Which will quickly become annoying.

The M6 looks excellent all dolled up for the dance. The Deltawing's livery is god-awful. The U.S. flag is fine and dandy but it sure makes for tacky/terrible interpretations. Either way - hope they get something out of that car this year (doubtful).

It's not hard for me to swallow just proves that a tiny car with a nice sized V8 will be loved by many because it's a small car in all. The M6 is a better car to be honest for this type of racing I'd say and just like the M3 will prove to be fast around the track I'm sure.

No worries, I am sure the Ford will become much more annoying to you Chevy fans :sly:

I found it funny that the Z4 was faster without the rear bumpers...

No worries, I am sure the Ford will become much more annoying to you Chevy fans :sly:

But...what happens if it's a complete failure? Ford already doesn't do a whole lot in this area of motorsport. I'd hate to see them pack up their stuff for another 5-6 years.

M6, ugly, silent, no soul. Corvette (GTLM), Aston Martin (GTD), Viper(GTD)...defeat za Germans! :mischievous:

I found it funny that the Z4 was faster without the rear bumpers...
That awkward moment when the damaged car is faster than in mint condition. :P That damage nearly won them the race last year. :lol:

Back