Are transfer fees out of control?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

• Other Opinion

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubted Chris Coleman before Wales not only qualified for Euro 2016 but made it to the semi finals so I'm willing to give Giggs a chance, he's got to win over the fans though as I feel a lot of them are still annoyed by his casual approach to his international playing career.

Stoke on the other hand have appointed their fourth choice manager behind Gary Rowett, Sanchez Flores and Martin O'Neill. They are in trouble.

Cyrille Regis has sadly passed away at the age of 59.

I doubted Chris Coleman before Wales not only qualified for Euro 2016 but made it to the semi finals so I'm willing to give Giggs a chance, he's got to win over the fans though as I feel a lot of them are still annoyed by his casual approach to his international playing career.
Coleman actually managed teams though - Fulham, Coventry, Real Sociedad... It didn't entirely go his own way, but Fulham sold players from under him, Coventry were on a slide and he didn't get on with Sociedad's owners.

Giggs managed four games that didn't matter at Manchester United after Moyes was sacked. One of those included a 1-0 home defeat by Sunderland (14th), with a draw against Southampton (8th) and home wins against Hull (16th) and Norwich (18th, relegated). He managed to equal David Moyes' 50% win ratio (2 from 4, to 17 from 34).

It's not an appointment that makes any sense. Mind you, FAW also reportedly considered Craig Bellamy...

Yeah but Bellamy has actually been doing some coaching, he's with the Cardiff U18's, I know its not exactly a high level but at least he's doing something and not sitting in a warm studio commenting on England games on ITV whilst Wales are on the other channel.

Nice routine win for United winning 3-0 at a soaking Old Trafford. Valencia, Martial and Lukaku with the goals, Stoke had their chances and forced De Gea into some good saves but were largely out-fought.

This Sanchezt hing is getting a bit too much for me, as in too much money for someone who will be a free in the Summer, United have offered £35 million, £5 mill in agents fees and £350k a week, Chelsea are now reportedly interested too, he would be a fantastic singing for us though...

Coleman actually managed teams though - Fulham, Coventry, Real Sociedad... It didn't entirely go his own way, but Fulham sold players from under him, Coventry were on a slide and he didn't get on with Sociedad's owners.

Giggs managed four games that didn't matter at Manchester United after Moyes was sacked. One of those included a 1-0 home defeat by Sunderland (14th), with a draw against Southampton (8th) and home wins against Hull (16th) and Norwich (18th, relegated). He managed to equal David Moyes' 50% win ratio (2 from 4, to 17 from 34).

It's not an appointment that makes any sense. Mind you, FAW also reportedly considered Craig Bellamy...

*knuckle crack*

Okay, time for my dau ceiniog on the appointment and comments on the frequent talking points.

He won't manage the team for friendlies
Yes. We've heard that one already.

Giggs, of course, could have managed England
And that one.

The players better watch their wives and sisters
Come on, give it a rest already.

He is unpopular with Wales fans
True. His 64 caps for Wales is hardly the figure of a part-time player but it's well known that he was not available for games considered of less importance than his upcoming club commitments for Manchester United. It's often said that Ryan Giggs is the greatest Welsh player but not the greatest Wales player. I'd also say that Billy Meredith and John Charles are greater candidates for best Welsh player of all time but that's a different argument.

He has to win some of the fans over. I honestly do not doubt his commitment and his pride but I would be lying if I wasn't one of those fans who has an ever so slight grimace when Giggs and Wales are mentioned. The media hardly help; the BBC helpfully plastered him and Craig Bellamy in their Team GB kit when it was initially announced that the two were being interviewed.

He is media savvy
I would argue that he is media friendly more than media savvy. He has many friends working for the rags and has appeared many times on television in roles as an analyst.

But he can use that to his advantage just as much as his predecessor did. Chris Coleman always took the media spotlight not out of egotism but to take the focus away from the players. He expertly dealt with interviews and press conferences and Giggs has the potential to do likeiwse; his announcement interviews with both English and Welsh language media were very good.

He will turn Wales into an Old Salfordians club
This is a big worry of mine. Wales' coaching setup for the past 15 years has been the brainchild of Osian Roberts. He has been a critical component of John Toshack, Gary Speed and Chris Coleman's senior sides and Brian Flynn and Robert Page's U21 sides.

I do not want any Nevilles or Butts or Solskjaers entering the Wales setup and the media circus to play up some kind of bizarro 'Dosbarth 92' reunion.

He has no managerial experience
He doesn't. He hasn't been a number one and like many top players I hypothesise that he is too proud to take a job in the lower leagues and earn your stripes and not your coaching badges. Coaching badges which, ironically enough, are issued by the FAW on a world-class basis.

He has less experience than Carl Robinson, manager of Toronto since 2013, who was my choice for the role.

But he was a number two at Manchester United
For what, 24 months? And at a a bad Manchester United side, as every United fan seems to say about Louis van Gaal's reign.
Hardly a glowing endorsement.

But he has international experience
Meaningless. It's almost rule number two in football (after 'play to the whistle') that great players don't automatically make great managers. Ask John Barnes, Paul Gascoigne, Gary Neville, Paul Merson, Lothar Matthäus, Alan Shearer, Diego Maradona and Tony Adams.

As mentioned above, Osian Roberts has been the brains behind Wales for some time. What's his background? He was a semi-pro at Bangor City with a Wales 'B' cap to his name. He quit playing somewhat early and began his coaching career as the football in the community officer for the regional Anglesey FA. And he's risen to the very top of the coaching world so "international experience" is not a prerequisite.

He's about on the same level as Hughes, Speed and Coleman
Apparently, Chris Coleman was a joke before he became Wales manager. But as @Famine has pointed out already, he did an excellent job with a Fulham side losing money and having players sold without his consent. You try losing Edwin van der Sar, Louis Saha, Steed Malbranque, Tomasz Radzinski and Luis Boa Morte and stay in the Premier League for your entire 4 year spell. Well, he did. Additionally, no manager has been able to address Coventry's slide which has been going on since 2001 and every Sociadad manager will have trouble in keeping to the Basque-only policy.

Gary Speed had an unremarkable 8 months at Sheffield United but he had at least had a job at a lower division club and didn't walk directly into the Wales job.

Mark Hughes is about right though. He became Wales manager in 1999 whilst still actively playing club football, not retiring until 2001, and stayed as manager for 5 years.

He's a box ticker
Definitely. He's a media-friendly box ticker to please the bigwigs at the FAW. This could be a Staunton experiement; Steve "Oi'm da gaffehr" Staunton was a top player for Ireland and walked into the top job as his first appointment as an FAI favourite. It didn't go so well.

Hazardous.

He'll bring in income as a big name
Wales made money under Chris Coleman. The Cardiff City Stadium was regularly sold out and the buzz about the team certainly bloated the FAW coffers.

Ryan Giggs might bring in more corporate types but that's not necessarily a good thing.

Summary
It was almost resignated expectation. You knew it was going to be him. But judgement must be reserved.

If the key coaching staff who already know the players and current tactics are retained, or at least given a chance to prove their worth to a new manager, I think it could work. I cannot think what new dimension Ryan Giggs can bring to the team at the moment and I'll be intrigued to find out. I wouldn't want the current 3-5-2 system to go away but if it does, and we perform well, then I can only be pleased with it. But hindsight is 20/20.

No I'm not overly optimistic, but I seldom am. At least we have some games in March to play and see how it goes.

But of course, you have to support a new appointment. I can't sit like a sour lemon for 4 long years until his contract expires in 2022. Ryan Giggs is one of Wales' greatest gifts to football. We've had one fairytale already. I'm looking forward to another one.

We've been invited qualified for the China Cup in March. ;)

And honestly, I don't care about it. I care about the quality of the performances but I couldn't give a flying 🤬 about the actual results.

---

16th January - Chris Lucketti (Bury, sacked) League One

Sacked: 18
Resigned: 2
Demoted: 1

Total: 21

For what it's worth, at this point last season there had been 31 managerial changes. Ten fewer this season is good news for under-the-kosh managers.

Last edited:
At least one good thing has come from this appointment. I don't have to listen to "sack Jose and give it to Giggs." Anymore.

Sanchez to United thing has reportedly hit a snag as Mkhitaryan who's supposed to go the other way would rather go back to Dortmund than to Arsenal.

Theo Walcott having Everton medical, £20 million move.

Possible random transfer of the window so far is Andy Carroll to Chelsea.

Talking of randomness, what about Phil Neville as England Women's manager?!

How about Wednesday reportedly being interested in taking Salomon Kalou from Hertha Berlin? That's properly weird.

Nice routine win for United winning 3-0 at a soaking Old Trafford. Valencia, Martial and Lukaku with the goals, Stoke had their chances and forced De Gea into some good saves but were largely out-fought.

This Sanchezt hing is getting a bit too much for me, as in too much money for someone who will be a free in the Summer, United have offered £35 million, £5 mill in agents fees and £350k a week, Chelsea are now reportedly interested too, he would be a fantastic singing for us though...
Stoke couldn't do it on a wet Monday night at Old Trafford, well done to United firstly of taking the rain with them to Dubai so they can experience a wet Monday night there to prepare and also keeping up their winning run so far in 2018. 👍

Sanchez seems a bargain in current transfer market, soon any player with a pulse will be going for more. :lol: "Free" might be a lot more expensive in the summer, for Sanchez it makes sense to move in the summer for most financial gain. For Arsenal, it seems best for them to sell now for as much as possible or somehow persuade him to stay maybe with a ridiculous story and salary offer then sell him in the summer.

They are not in really a position of strength so Manchester United are probably best team to deal with who like to overpay and undersell compared to any other club probably out there. :dopey: Looking quite bleak for Arsenal at the moment, they need new rich owners rather than a new manager IMO.

If you made a automated "In The Know" Twitter bot that is the first thing it would come up with.

Looking quite bleak for Arsenal at the moment, they need new rich owners rather than a new manager IMO.
People do not come much richer than Stan Kroenke. Forbes say he is currently worth $8.1bn

Not sure why they'd need a richer owner. They are one of the richest clubs already and have best fan/income ratio in the world. Indeed Kroenke has not put a penny in the club, only extracts dividends. But The Arsenal's issue is overall club management, not money in the bank.

Everton sign Theo Walcott for £20 million on contract till 2021 and will wear number 11 shirt.

Dimitry Payet needs a health warning

And Alexis 'Dick Turpin' Sanchez is on the brink . . .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...four-year-manchester-united-contract-arsenal/

Are the fans seriously whistling right then, the keeper is being subbed off on a stretcher. Hardly time wasting and down right disrespectful to the injured keeper.
Everton sign Theo Walcott for £20 million on contract till 2021 and will wear number 11 shirt.

Hopefully that will give Theo a kick up the arse and we can see a different Walcott at the World Cup.

"Article quote"
"The 29 year-old will be paid £14m a year after tax - just under £27m a year before tax - to join United, on top of his £30m valuation, £20m signing-on fee, and an agents’ fee worth more than £10m. That all adds up to around £180m for a player who had entered the final six months of his Arsenal contract and goes some way to explaining why Manchester City walked away from negotiations."

Wow thats pricey, But very good luck to him he,s a good player.

A couple of other bits of news, Newcastle takeover talks have completely broken down and have been described as 'a waste of time', obviously bad news for the fans which could see Benitez go.

Ronaldinho has officially retired, one of the best players ever to play the game IMO.

"Article quote"
"The 29 year-old will be paid £14m a year after tax - just under £27m a year before tax - to join United, on top of his £30m valuation, £20m signing-on fee, and an agents’ fee worth more than £10m. That all adds up to around £180m for a player who had entered the final six months of his Arsenal contract and goes some way to explaining why Manchester City walked away from negotiations."

Wow thats pricey, But very good luck to him he,s a good player.

I think if they get 4 years and a couple UCL trophies José may remind us about it. Coutinho to Barca for 140 million, a mere 40 million :lol: maybe isn't out of the realms off possibility.
What price a 29 yr old Ronaldhino :bowdown:

BBC talk Premier League vs European League 'moneybags'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42715295

Hopefully that will give Theo a kick up the arse and we can see a different Walcott at the World Cup.
Walcott was terribly mismanaged in the last few years. I think he can still make a good ending of his career with a manager that knows what he wants from him and teaches him to be onside again.

Games this weekend.

Saturday
Arsenal v Crystal Palace
Brighton v Chelsea (12.30 Sky)
Burnley v Man United
Everton v West Brom
Leicester v Watford
Man City v Newcastle (5.30 BT)
Stoke v Huddersfield
West Ham v Bournemouth

Sunday
Southampton v Tottenham (4pm Sky)

Monday Night
Swansea v Liverpool (8pm Sky)

Only the one game on Sunday.

The Sanchez/Mkhitaryan swap deal still is not completed but from what I hear it is getting closer, Guardiola has perhaps sarcastically offered his congrats to the players and the clubs on the move.

The Sanchez/Mkhitaryan swap deal still is not completed but from what I hear it is getting closer, Guardiola has perhaps sarcastically offered his congrats to the players and the clubs on the move.

I don,t know if its being sarcastic or not but I guess after the pursuit City put in I think pep maybe a little peed off? (No idea) But he has every right to say whatever he likes just like Jose Maureen.
BBC Covered Peps quote in this article http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42749618

But after some reading on the saga am sooo glad City dodge a bullet. Kind of reminds me of all the stick City took over the hassle when Teves joined them (City) from all the Man U fans in regards to its all about money.
Either way I still think he,s a good player and if a team want to pay over the odds wages then good luck to them and there new player. IMHO its pricey.
https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/bayern-...for-the-same-reason-as-manchester-city-157918
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...r-news/man-utd-transfer-news-sanchez-14173318

Last edited:
Mkhitaryan left the United training ground in tears earlier after saying goodbye to his teammates, he really doesn't want to leave.

Mkhitaryan left the United training ground in tears earlier after saying goodbye to his teammates, he really doesn't want to leave.

I feel sorry for him in one respect, He appears to be a fan of Arsenal football and how they play but from all the media I read I belief he has been pushed a little into the saga of the Sanchez deal.
Firstly it came out Man U were in for Sanchez then some back tracking later on Man U and the medias behalf it appeared Sanchez was only wanted on Mkhitaryan deal and not other way round. (Sanchez deal with no swap?) Alot of conflicting story's out there.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ster-united-deal-for-alexis-sanchez-k8mz57vn2
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c.../man-utd-transfer-sanchez-mkhitaryan-14162017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back