Are transfer fees out of control?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

• Other Opinion

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man City have gone mad, Sane is out for a month with ankle ligament damage after being hacked down by Cardiff's Joe Bennett on Sunday, City's response to this is to make a £50 million bid for Riyad Mahrez! which was swiftly rejected by Leicester and now Mahrez has put in a transfer request.

They are clearly worried about squad depth, but Sane is out for long and if they are that worried then why don't the put in one of their many talented youngsters and see how he does??

City's signing of Laporte means they have now spent almost £300 million on defenders in three years.

City's signing of Laporte means they have now spent almost £300 million on defenders in three years.

They will spend a lot on defenders when they have just let a fair few go?
Bacary Sagna/Pablo Zabaleta/Gaël Clichy/Aleksandar Kolarov And then the ages of the players and then you look at Vincent Kompany who is not getting any younger and is very injury prone. Plus before we started spending we had not bought any defenders for quite a while?
I guess that makes common sense that City would spend quite a bit on defenders? (Sure I,ve pointed that out in thread before)

Anyway on another note massive win for Swansea, Great game to watch. Looking promising for them.

Somebody told Cech he was 1 clean sheet away from his 200th in the Premier League.

That seems to have been a mistake

They will spend a lot on defenders when they have just let a fair few go?
Bacary Sagna/Pablo Zabaleta/Gaël Clichy/Aleksandar Kolarov And then the ages of the players and then you look at Vincent Kompany who is not getting any younger and is very injury prone. Plus before we started spending we had not bought any defenders for quite a while?
I guess that makes common sense that City would spend quite a bit on defenders? (Sure I,ve pointed that out in thread before)

Anyway on another note massive win for Swansea, Great game to watch. Looking promising for them.
Don't let your reasoning stop the 'City spend money' circlejerk.

Don't let your reasoning stop the 'City spend money' circlejerk.
It is poor when people like yourself have to come in using silly name calling. Tut tut that is poor. :(

Its poor that yourself doesn,t understand that football clubs need to spend money when they get rid of players. EVERY club does it. including your so called big clubs like Man u. "shakehead"
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...ho-first-manager-to-spend-1billion-transfers/
Up to you if you want to read the link. Plenty out there for a google search. while your at it also look at the revenue what City got in.
Absolutely deluded. Such a pain when people don,t do there homework and just jump on the band wagon. (Or the first crappy news story that comes along?)
True facts and figures for you:
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/man...id/2017/pos//detailpos/0/w_s//plus/1#zugaenge
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/man...id/2017/pos//detailpos/0/w_s//plus/1#zugaenge

EDIT:
Poor fella still isn,t happy? Never going to change. Clubs need to spend.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...news-jose-mourinho-burnley-city-a8129176.html
"quote from article"
When asked whether such a record was acceptable at a ‘big club’ like United, Mourinho differentiated between a ‘big club’ and a ‘big football team’ and claimed his squad still requires work if it is to match a club that can “buy full-backs for the price of strikers”.

And that article is before Liverpool spent 70 odd million on van Dyke? Yet the dig is aimed at City really sad man is Jose. :(
Just all sour grapes if you ask me. :( But I wouldn,t expect anything less coming from people who don,t read to much.

Last edited:
Somebody told Cech he was 1 clean sheet away from his 200th in the Premier League.

That seems to have been a mistake
He's been on 199 for what feels like years so I definitely agree. 16th December to be precise, about time Arsenal spent £60m on a striker to solve that problem.

It is poor when people like yourself have to come in using silly name calling.
"Circlejerk" isn't name-calling. It refers to a positive feedback loop, when a group of people who agree with something (which isn't necessarily true) keep responding positively to each other to perpetuate the idea.

The "'City spend money' circlejerk" is a group of people who want to make fun of how much money Manchester City are spending constantly making fun of how much money Manchester City are spending. In this case the group of people is most football pundits, who want to go on and on about how Guardiola has spent £200m on goalkeepers and defenders, but haven't noticed that £57m is their transfer record - beating the £55m spent on De Bruyne two years ago (which, it's now agreed, was quite a good piece of business, despite being mocked at the time) - and Manchester United has spent £200m on attacking players in the same time... but have scored 21 fewer goals this season and 26 fewer goals last season.

@Akmuq's post then was a reference to exactly the sort of people you refer to in your post... only he's not one of them.

And he is a Spurs fan, if I remember rightly.

Otherwise, spot on.

"Circlejerk" isn't name-calling. It refers to a positive feedback loop, when a group of people who agree with something (which isn't necessarily true) keep responding positively to each other to perpetuate the idea.

The "'City spend money' circlejerk" is a group of people who want to make fun of how much money Manchester City are spending constantly making fun of how much money Manchester City are spending. In this case the group of people is most football pundits, who want to go on and on about how Guardiola has spent £200m on goalkeepers and defenders, but haven't noticed that £57m is their transfer record - beating the £55m spent on De Bruyne two years ago (which, it's now agreed, was quite a good piece of business, despite being mocked at the time) - and Manchester United has spent £200m on attacking players in the same time... but have scored 21 fewer goals this season and 26 fewer goals last season.

@Akmuq's post then was a reference to exactly the sort of people you refer to in your post... only he's not one of them.

And he is a Spurs fan, if I remember rightly.

Otherwise, spot on.

My apologies if that is the case to yourself and @Akmuq with the description given by you it sounds a lot better than the google explanation I was given?
I took the word Circlejerk did a google search and it came back with this? https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=C...rk&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Didn,t sound quite nice and I replied to what I presumed was something that is what I thought was name calling.
Many thanks for the explanation much appreciated. Its hard work trying to keep up with all this new slang stuff created for today's "young hip guys"

Oh and since he,s (@Akmuq) a spurs fan best of luck for tonight. Sure City will be happy if they can do one over the Ragtops. :)

EDIT: Whey hey Arsenal finally get one over the line. Could be a good signing if he hits the ground running in the premiership.
DONE DEAL: Aubameyang joins Arsenal from Dortmund (£56m)

Last edited:
Does that mean that Arsenal have just reunited Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan, who scored 121 goals together for Borussia Dortmund in three seasons, alongside Lacazette?

Worrying.

Does that mean that Arsenal have just reunited Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan, who scored 121 goals together for Borussia Dortmund in three seasons, alongside Lacazette?

Worrying.
Oh yes that could be quality if they get the game time and start finding that old form.
Might just be back on the up. Plus not sure if both are eligible for Europa league? (Some one will know)

The most amazing deal of the day so far is Ozil to Arsenal!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42885533

Looks like happy days for the gunners. Mate will be well chuffed. :)

Indeed they are good signings for Arsenal. I think though both are cup tied, so cannot play in Europa Leage, which means they are limited to Laca and Welle in attack there with the departure of Alexis, Giroud and Wallcot - not very convincing.
Additionally I still am unimpressed by the overall quality of the team, there is a clear disbalanse between the attack and midfield/defence. Arsenal have been abysmal in both build up and defence this season and this will not be improved by adding more attacking options.

In Football Manager, there are attributes for acceleration and pace, but in the Mobile version, that has been amalgamated into just pace. The interesting tidbit from that is that there are only 2 players in FMM with 20 for pace and Arsenal have both of them. Bellerin and Aubameyang.

Aubameyang to Arsenal was done earlier, £60 million on a long term deal but didn't say how long.

Batshuayi moves to Dortmund on loan for rest of season.

Giroud to Chelsea is done, £18 million on 18 month deal.

Man City end interest in Mahrez, this is after they made and was rejected a third bid of £65 million and a player, Leicester reportedly wanted 95 million.

Swansea in talks with three players, Markovic on loan, Leicester's Andy King on loan and an £18 million move to bring Andre Ayew back to the Liberty.

Not a massive amount else happening tbh.

yas
Indeed they are good signings for Arsenal. I think though both are cup tied, so cannot play in Europa Leage, which means they are limited to Laca and Welle in attack there with the departure of Alexis, Giroud and Wallcot - not very convincing.
Additionally I still am unimpressed by the overall quality of the team, there is a clear disbalanse between the attack and midfield/defence. Arsenal have been abysmal in both build up and defence this season and this will not be improved by adding more attacking options.

I've been looking that up and found this:
UEFA player regulations
44.01 For all matches from the start of the round of 16, a club may register a maximum
of three new eligible players for the remaining matches in the current
competition. Such registration must be completed by 1 February 2018 (24.00CET)
at the latest. This deadline cannot be extended.
44.02 One player from the above quota of three who has been fielded in a UEFA club
competition group stage match for another club in the current season may
exceptionally be registered, provided that the player has not been fielded:
a. in the same competition for another club; or
b. for another club that is currently in the same competition.
So basically Arsenal can put 3 new players into their squad for the knockout stages, but only one of them can previously have played in the Champions League. This will have to be Mkhitaryan since Bourissia Dortmund are now also in the Europa League and therefore Aubameyang is not eligible.
It also means Sanchez can play in Europe for Man United.

Lucas Moura to Tottenham is done, £25 million, which takes the spending for PL teams in this window past £400 million, which is a record.

@adamp93 I doubt Arsenal will care about Aubameyang not being eligible for the Europa League as they have been playing weakened teams in all their games.

Apparently my mate has bought us hospitality tickets for an upcoming Hearts game so we get to sit in the posh seats in the brand new stand at Tynecastle :D:tup: At the very least it should solve the age-old problem of where to go for a pint before the game, since they have a bar in the hospitality section. My mate lives in California and only comes over to Scotland for a week or so around Xmas, but this year he's delayed his trip to coincide with his birthday (and a Hearts game that we might actually win). The last two years we've met in the same bar prior to the match, but it is horrendously busy (as is just about every other bar near the stadium prior to the match), so it will be great to be able to have a pint in the stadium itself for a change. It also means that we will not have to queue in the infamous side street near the stadium that is clearly a target for local Hibs fans who have dogs... I'll leave it at that :ill:

@adamp93 I doubt Arsenal will care about Aubameyang not being eligible for the Europa League as they have been playing weakened teams in all their games.
In the meantime yes, but if they get to the business end of the tournament a full strength team should be used and by then I'll have forgotten what I posted last night and wonder why he's not playing. :lol:

Very happy with Swansea's dealings yesterday, got Andre Ayew back from West Ham and Andy King on loan, did some good business and hopefully we can use it to kick on and build on our two massive wins v Liverpool and Arsenal. 👍

Games this weekend.

Saturday
Arsenal v Everton (5.30 BT)
Burnley v Man City (12.30 Sky)
Bournemouth v Stoke
Brighton v West Ham
Leicester v Swansea
Man United v Huddersfield
West Brom v Southampton

Sunday
Crystal Palace v Newcastle (2.15 Sky)
Liverpool v Tottenham (4.30 Sky)

Monday night
Watford v Chelsea (8pm Sky)

Full times

Burnley 1-1 Man City
Leicester 1-1 Swansea
Bournemouth 2-1 Stoke
Man United 2-0 Huddersfield
Brighton 3-1 West Ham
West Brom 2-3 Southampton

Great game at the Hawthorns, Sanchez scores on his home debut for United, great result for Brighton.

Arsenal-Everton to come, Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan both start for Arsenal.

Well, lots to unpack from the Spurs-L'Pool match.
Goal of the season contenders from Wanyama and Salah, not one but two contentious penalty calls, Kane nets #100...
What a match!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back