2017-18 UEFA Champions League Thread

• Thread starter Brend
  • 401 comments
Quite happy with the United performance, especially in the second half, De Gea made some really good saves to keep us in it.

Real Madrid are the best team in the world right now , they were so scarily good tonight, almost telepathic!

The play-offs start tonight, some decent matches lined up:

upload_2017-8-15_10-7-7.png

For the sake of Champions League football in England, I hope Liverpool qualifies.

But I would still smile if they got knocked out. :P

Good solid win for Liverpool, first team to beat Hoffenheim at home in 15 months.

Brillinat free-kick from Alexander-Arnold.

Last night's 1st leg results:

upload_2017-8-16_9-41-15.png

Surprising hold by FCSB and Copenhaagen have it all to do against Qarabag.

Tonight's matches:

upload_2017-8-16_9-42-11.png

Huge night for Celtic. Carrying 3 first team injuries isn't ideal but the job has to be done. I'll be there tonight, hopeful for a 2 goal cushion to take over to the land of Borat.

Last night's results:

upload_2017-8-17_8-34-45.png

Olympiacos have put themselves in a tight spot, conceding an away goal. Similar for Beer Sheva who ended up winners of the same score line - 2-1.

Celtic should just shut up shop in the away leg next week, I'd bite the hand off a 0-0 draw.

Celtic had 3 shots on target all night, but managed 5 goals. That must be some kind of record.

Celtic had 3 shots on target all night, but managed 5 goals. That must be some kind of record.
Its the record home advantage ever set in the first leg of a Champions League Play-off tie so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case too.

I've been complaining about the toothlessness of the team recently so to get a better than 100% shot accuracy is simply the Rodgers effect I guess. :lol:

Just hope the squad can return to full fitness soon.

Despite Celtic doing it's best to give away the place in the tournament...CHAMPIONS LEAGUE HERE WE COME. :D

Despite Celtic doing it's best to give away the place in the tournament...CHAMPIONS LEAGUE HERE WE COME. :D

Well done Celtic, new to the thread, Argentinian following our players abroad, glad I found this 👍

Doing it the hard way. They'll need to stop that before a big team slaps them for it. :lol:
Oh definitely. That's just Celtic in Europe though. They love making an absolute meal of any sort of winnable match. :lol: :lol:

Well done Celtic, new to the thread, Argentinian following our players abroad, glad I found this 👍

Cheers! Here's hoping the draw is nice to us too. :D

Champions League group stage draw:

Group A: Benfica (POR), Man United (ENG), FC Basel (SUI), CSKA Moskva (RUS)

Group B: Bayern Munich (GER), Paris Saint-Germain (FRA), Anderlecht (BEL), Celtic (SCO)

Group C: Chelsea (ENG), Atletico Madrid (ESP), Roma (ITA), Qarabag FK (AZE)

Group D: Juventus (ITA), Barcelona (ESP), Olympiakos (GRE), Sporting CP (POR)

Group E: Spartak Moscow (RUS), Sevilla (ESP), Liverpool (ENG), NK Maribor (SVN)

Group F: Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR), Man City (ENG), Napoli (ITA), Feyenoord (NED)

Group G: Monaco (FRA), FC Porto (POR), Besiktas (TUR), RB Leipzig (GER)

Group H: Real Madrid (ESP), Borussia Dortmund (GER), Tottenham (ENG), Apoel FC (CYP)

Some very exiting groups here.

Me personally looking forward to groups A and H.

Edit: For those who want a more graphic lineup:

DIAnppuXoAAlY45.jpg:large

Last edited:
Oh man. What a group for Celtic, 3rd place is definitely possible. Anderlect will be thinking the same.

@Phoenix I spent literally Ten minutes writing it up and you beat me to it! :lol:

Quite happy with United's group 👍

Im just saying... Best of luck APOEL! :lol:

@Phoenix I spent literally Ten minutes writing it up and you beat me to it! :lol:

Quite happy with United's group 👍

:lol:

I did spend some odd 15 minutes aswell. :cheers:

Yeah, quite happy with United's group. Could have been worse, but going to Moscow isn't what I wanted. :dopey:

D and H the hardest groups for me. I'm rooting for Olympiacos to get to EL. I wanted group G to be honest, everyone can advance from there.

APOEL can't survive though, it's by far the hardest group.

Here's a breakdown of the pots and groups based on UEFA rankings from last season - the average of each row is in brackets at the end in each case. As you can see, Pot 2 is actually alot tougher that Pot 1. All English clubs are ranked higher than their group average, but Celtic (who are in the highest ranked group) are lower than the group average, and Spurs's group average is brought way down by the Pot 4 team.

Pot 1
: 1 2 5 9 10 18 29 104 (22)
Pot 2: 3 4 6 7 8 12 13 15 (8.5)
Pot 3: 17 20 22 28 32 34 37 42 (29)
Pot 4: 48 52 57 82 89 94 106 122 (81)

Group A: 9 15 (Man Utd) 22 52 (24.5)
Group B: 2 6 32 48 (Celtic) (22)
Group C: 10 (Chelsea) 4 37 106 (39)
Group D: 5 3 28 57 (23)
Group E: 104 8 34 (Liverpool) 94 (60)
Group F: 18 12 (Man City) 17 89 (34)
Group G: 29 13 42 122 (51.5)
Group H: 1 7 20 (Tottenham) 82 (27.5)
Group x: Pot 1 Pot 2 Pot 3 Pot 4 (Average)

• Celtic are in the hardest group and will struggle to qualify, but they are the top ranked Pot 4 team.
  • Man City are ranked #1 in their group, but it could be tight for them as they have the highest ranked Pot 3 team.
  • Man Utd are ranked #2 in their group, and it could be tight for them too.
  • Liverpool are the Pot 3 team but ranked #2 by some distance, so they look good to qualify for the Last 16.
  • Tottenham are ranked above average, but only because of the Pot 4 team - they could stuggle.
  • Chelsea are also ranked #2 in their group, despite being in Pot 1 - but they should progress.

Last edited:
Group G is the most competitive I would say, I could see any of the 4 topping the group or coming last.

With the exception of Celtic and Spurs, a decent draw for the UK teams.

I'll be very disappointed if Liverpool don't progress... and hopefully will get some tickets for Sevillle away... it's only c.100 miles from my place in Spain, so I can pop down for a long weekend :)

Latest Posts

Back