2017-18 UEFA Champions League Thread

• Thread starter Brend
  • 401 comments
Barca-Juve?!

Nah its all about United's return to the Champions League tonight.

3xvns6onvflz.png

Cool graphic, values according to transfermarkt which are probably a year or two behind in terms of inflation, but not too far off and do make a good comparison.

Neymar's transfer fee would get you the 73 most expensive Celtic signings ever (although some of them were Scheidt!)

I would argue it was 'cost' as opposed to 'value', but never mind :ill:

-

I saw something rather funny on my way home tonight. Two guys with Celtic scarves were on the train, with 6 bottles of Bud on the table between them. One is on the phone to his Dad, arranging to meet him in a pub downtown for 'a few pints before the match'. The train pulls up to Partick station where a young guy is standing with an open box of bottles of Stella, who I figured was also on his way to the game. He proceeds to sit down next to the guys with the Buds though he is clearly a bit drunk already and is quietly singing away to himself before he turned to one of the Celtic guys and said 'Hey pal, want tae swap a Bud for a Stella?'... the Celtic guy replies, 'No thanks mate, you can have a Bud but I don't want a Stella', so the drunk guy says 'Suit yersel pal'. After an awkward pause, the drunk guy turns back round and asks 'Where are you guys off tae tonight?', prompting the Celtic supporters to look at each other in bemusement before replying 'Erm, Celtic Park...'. So it turned out my assumption that he was also going to Celtic Park was a tad unfair. It was also rather funny that the two guys sitting with 6 beers on a local train at 5.30 pm were made to look like the sensible ones in comparison to the steaming bloke from Partick who was just getting on the train with an open box of beers for no apparent reason.

Ha. Messi got a yellow card for asking for a card for a Juve player.

Good stuff.

Edit.

The Juventus shirts are ugly as ****, stupid ugly Jeep ad on the front.

Last edited:
26 goals on Day 1. Wow.

Chelsea 6-0 Qarabağ
AS Roma 0-0 Atletico
Olympiacos 2-3 Sporting
Man. Utd 3-0 Basel
Bayern Munchen 3-0 Anderlecht
Benfica 1-2 CSSKA
Celtic 0-5 PSG
Barcelona 3-0 Juventus

Boat load of goals to introduce the champions league group stage and still a fair few big teams to play.

Only watched Barca Juve, even and boring until Messi opened the game. Dybala and Higuaín mediocre at best. Barca played a bit more like his coach expects imo.
Nice to see MU back in the league, can't wait to see if PSG can keep it together this time around.

Very good win for our return. 👍

Even with a rotated team Chelsea were far too good for Qarabag and a sobering result for Celtic.

I like the dynamic of Celtic being the tackling bag in the Champions League before returning to being the Godfather in the SPL. They're up against a team with a budget immeasurably larger than they have but next week they're playing Ross County and Dundee. They're somehow the debtor and the creditor at the same time.

Also, Lionel Messi once again reconfirmed why he is the greatest player in the world. What a stunning performance. His goal for Barcelona's third made Juventus look amateur and gave Gianluigi Buffon absolutely no chance.

Nice to see Marcus Rashford score for Manchester United; not only is he a local academy lad doing exceptionally well but he has now scored on his Premiership debut, his FA Cup debut, his League Cup debut, his Europa League debut, his England debut and now his Champions League debut. That is some going.

Liverpool 2-2 Sevilla
Tottenham 3-1 Dortmund
Feyenoord 0-4 Man City

Big win for Spurs at Wembley to banish their 'hoodoo', City very comfortable against a below average Feyenoord and Liverpool will be a bit disappointed to only draw after being 2-1 up but mind you they were 1-0 down.

Not a lot happened in the other games, Real beat APOEL 3-0.

In the Maribor-Spartak Moscow game a firework was let off from the crowd on to the pitch and only just missed the ref...no really!

In the Maribor-Spartak Moscow game a firework was let off from the crowd on to the pitch and only just missed the ref...no really!
That's not mentioning that it was from of the corners and the ref was practically in the center circle. Madness

FIFA better have the chequebook ready for their referees' insurance companies next year.

Dortmund - Real Madrid and PSG - Bayern surely the most interesting matches I would say.

Atletico - Chelsea could also be an interesting match to watch.

And of course United away in Moscow to CSKA Moscow. More injuries yey.

Bayern at Munich could be a nice test for PSG. Saw their last league game and they still need time to adjust to Mbappe and Neymar in their team, they were all over the place at times.
Really don't like RM so hope Dortmund gives them a hard time

Atletico-Chelsea will be the first CL game at Atletico's spanking new stadium.

There will be a big Police presence in Moscow for the Spartak-Liverpool game on the Tuesday and the CSKA-Man United game on the Wednesday to try and stop any violence between the fans, mostly from the Russian fans...

Really don't like RM so hope Dortmund gives them a hard time
Should not be much of a problem for Dortmund, if we base it on current form. RM barely scraping 3 points against Alaves and Dortmund crushing Mönchengladbach.

But this is the Champions League and RM usually pulls out a good enough performance to get a result.

But it could very well go either way. Or end up with a 2-2 draw. :lol:

Atletico-Chelsea will be the first CL game at Atletico's spanking new stadium.

There will be a big Police presence in Moscow for the Spartak-Liverpool game on the Tuesday and the CSKA-Man United game on the Wednesday to try and stop any violence between the fans, mostly from the Russian fans...

The police even gave out a warning to all traveling fans that they should not wear any supporter effects in and around Moscow. Understandably.

Back