2017-18 UEFA Champions League Thread

• Thread starter Brend
  • 401 comments
So we have talked about Moscow a bit about the heightened security there and its has been further elevated by the news that there was a bomb scare in a Moscow hotel that was being used by UEFA officials and dignitaries last night, it turned out to be a hoax but still it does give you a sense of what going on there.

British teams involved tonight are Spartak Moscow v Liverpool, APOEL v Tottenham and Man City v Shakthar. The big game is Dortmund v Real Madrid.

Tottenham are missing seven players through injury and suspension including some big names like Alli, Vertonghen, Eriksen and Dembele, so the win against the reigning Cypriot Champions isn't a given.

Real Madrid with a strong 3-1 win against Dortmund. Bale with a nice volley and Ronaldo scores 2 times. Good stuff! :cheers:

Not a bad night for the English, City beat Shakthar 2-0 with the first goal a peach from De Bruyne, Kane hat-trick as Spurs beat APOEL 0-3 and Liverpool drew 1-1 against Spartak, Liverpool had loads of chances again.

Half time in tonight's games. Celtic lead Anderlecht 1-0. Happy enough so far but need to be careful of their fast forward line.

United are three up in Moscow, was expecting a tricky game but CSKA have been terrible, two from Lukaku and Martial penalty, Atletico lead Chelsea through Greizmann penalty and PSG are 2-0 v Bayern.

United with a great win in Moscow. CSKA didn't pose a big threat but United played some good football also.

PSG demolished Bayern 3-0. :dopey:

Other results don't bother me too much. Lost on my bets anyway. *cough* Thanks Juve! *cough*

Alvaro Morata is the first opposition player to score at Atletico's Wanda Metropoliano, and the former Real player shouted 'remember me!' whilst celebrating, you've got to love that! :lol:

Chelsea won 2-1 in a great away performance, nice comfortable performance from United and a great result for Celtic.

Good CL match-day for the Brits, five wins one draw and zero defeats, and out of those only Man City were at home. 👍

Great week for the British clubs, I expected CSKA to be a tougher challenge than they were. I predicted they would score before the game but after the way it turned out I was annoyed with thier goal in the end. We should have kept a clean sheet.

Real Madrid v Tottenham probably the biggest game of tonight fixtures, and tomorrows!

All 5 English teams are top of their groups 👍 and, in a surprise twist, Liverpool were the only team last night to keep a clean sheet.

British team in action tonight are Chelsea v Roma, Benfica v Man United and Bayern v Celtic. tricky away tie for United, ill be happy with a point tonight if it comes to it.

Spurs were really good last night. Getting a point at the Bernabeu, cant argue with that. 👍

Piqué out of Barcelona vs Olympiacos for doing a Maradona (goal using the arm) on the 42nd minute.
Did not expect Olympiacos to be that good so far, I was expecting around 3-4 goals conceeded :lol:

Watching the Benfica vs Manchester United game, thought a Benfica player getting a free kick for missing the ball was as bizarre as it was going to get. Not long afterwards, Marcus Rashford scored a goal I've never quite seen anything like, well placed 👍 (Feel for the keeper). He has gone off now due to injury, hope it's nothing serious.

Bayern playing some nice stuff. Celtic couldn't get near them at all.

Onward to the next one. 👍

United game wasn't great but an away win and top of the group so cant complain, fell for Svilar as he is only 18, he'll learn from it, Hope Rashfors isn't too bad, last thing we need is another player out as the injuries are starting to pile up.

All four English teams top their respective groups, Great game between Chelsea and Roma and the Dzeko volley was :drool:

Messi has now scored 100 European club goals in 122 appearances and Mbappe is now the highest scoring teenager in CL history with 8 goals in 9 games at just 18!

United game wasn't great but an away win and top of the group so cant complain, fell for Svilar as he is only 18, he'll learn from it, Hope Rashfors isn't too bad, last thing we need is another player out as the injuries are starting to pile up.

All four English teams top their respective groups, Great game between Chelsea and Roma and the Dzeko volley was :drool:

Messi has now scored 100 European club goals in 122 appearances and Mbappe is now the highest scoring teenager in CL history with 8 goals in 9 games at just 18!
All five

Champions League is back this week and the fixtures are the reverse fixtures from a fortnight ago.

Never thought I'd say it but Celtic are running rings round Bayern here. As always, a defence howler puts us down 1-0. :lol:

El Shaarawy with 2 goals in the first half against Chelsea to put Rome 2-0. Still 45 minutes to go.

Matic and United with a lucky bounce after a long range shot and 1-0 up at half time.

And what is happening to Atletico? :lol:

Never thought I'd say it but Celtic are running rings round Bayern here. As always, a defence howler puts us down 1-0. :lol:
Well, it ends 2-1. One of the bravest, most awesome performances I've seen from Celtic. Utterly bullied them at times but just couldn't graft a result.

What a moment this was.

IMG_20171031_221950.jpg

Chelsea were terrible, lost 3-0...

United? eh it was okay, just okay, weird what happened with our penalty though, Lukaku should have took it IMO.

Well, it ends 2-1. One of the bravest, most awesome performances I've seen from Celtic. Utterly bullied them at times but just couldn't graft a result.

What a moment this was.

View attachment 685711
I listened to some of the game on the radio and it sounded like Celtic deserved at least a point.

The ground is almost full in Naples for Napoli v Man City....and the game doesn't kick off for another two hours!

Tottenham v Real Madrid at Wembley is where its at tonight...

I listened to some of the game on the radio and it sounded like Celtic deserved at least a point.
I'd say so but at the same time, can't afford the lapses in concentration we're so prone to. Hopefully we can secure EL football on Matchday 6 against Anderlecht.

Back