2017 Formula 1 Pirelli Magyar NagydijFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 300 comments
Massive respect to Hamilton for giving the place back to Bottas . Especially with the potential that had for going wrong .

And as for the fastest lap . Holy flying tangos batman .

DF_c-fYWsAE1YsL.jpg:large

Photo of the year.

Yesterday I could not see the Hungarian GP live but watched it this night (without knowing the final results). Nice race. Close battles. Yes I'm a Max fan and try to be as objective as possible --> If FIA gives 10 seconds and deducts two license points for this mistake (not on purpose) then hopefully this goes for the rest of the season as well for all drivers. consistency....we cannot change what already happened but for similar race incidents nothing happened also during the same race.
Max is still a 19 year old/young kid but his response after the race was very professional. Others could learn from them Even on social media personals apologies to teammate Ricciardo.

Max Verstappen‏Geverifieerd account @Max33Verstappen 13 u13 uur geleden
Apologies to @danielricciardo and @redbullracing for the start. But after that the balance and pace were good. That’s positive. #HungarianGP

Also a very good race of Alonso and don;t forget Di Resta. Give your mic and put on your racing gear. Performed well.

Now summer holiday and then SPA!!!!

And it wasn't even like he went in and put on new tires in the final laps just to set a fast time, his tires were as old as everyones else's. Strange times indeed.

Too bad nobody said: "Alonso will win, comfortably." this weekend.

-

It might even have come true, if five turbochargers had simlutaneously popped on that last lap... :D

Too bad nobody said: "Alonso will win, comfortably." this weekend.

-

It might even have come true, if five turbochargers had simlutaneously popped on that last lap... :D

It's like when Damon Hill finished 2nd for Arrows in 1997. And he really should have won! Just... an odd race; a very positive but very unexpected finish. Hungaroring is like that sometimes.

Worth throwing out that it is Alonso's first fastest lap since 2013.

Pretty typical Hungaboring granprix. Shocked Ferrari didn't let Raikkonen pass - but on this track I can understand it I guess. Nice to see Hamilton allow Bottas back past (not sure why that's being seen as such a mind-blowing thing by some people here, though the Lewis-hate is pretty strong). Max's crash ...I'm 50/50 on. I think without a lock up it may have been fine, but cold tires on the start and what have you. Really sucks though that the one useful Red Bull car was taken out of the race.

The rest was as expected...narrow and fast, not much action.

I think Hamilton has taken a gamble with this act of sportsmanship, but I think it could pay off. Although Hamilton's move was essentially paying back a favour, it was clear that Hamilton was faster and had a much better shot at taking 2nd than Bottas did - the gap between the two Mercs was enough evidence of that, and hence Hamilton was more than paying back the favour by handing the place back IMO. This was a bad move for Lewis's title hopes in the short term, but potentially a wise move in the longer term - regardless of the goodwill between the drivers (which will certainly be enhanced by this race), it's arguably far more important how Wolff, Lauda and the rest of the Mercedes team see it - and I think Hamilton has done himself no harm here at all... indeed, they may well see it as 'one in the bank' for Lewis. The team may well ask Bottas to let Hamilton through again, but next time without the proviso that Lewis hands the place back if he doesn't advance. With the Mercs consistently at the sharp end, it is quite likely that they will be swapping positions no lower than 3rd and 4th, and if they swap positions any higher than that (e.g. 2nd and 3rd), then Lewis could stand to gain overall. Ironically, while I applaud Lewis for his sportsmanship, I didn't enjoy watching it - but one would hope that it might hold Lewis in good stead for a future race.

On the other side of the coin, Lewis didn't "lose" 3rd place. If Valtteri hadn't let Lewis past (temporarily) to have a futile go at Kimi, he wouldn't have got past and would have remained 4th for the whole race. As we all know, it is pretty impossible to overtake a comparable car in Hungary.

If Lewis loses the championship by 3 points, and you need to blame his Hungarian performance, it was his lack of qualifying pace that lost it for him. For a track where you cannot overtake, qualify ahead of Valtteri, finish ahead of Valtteri. Simples.

Most of the focus has been on Lewis giving up 3 points in the fight against Vettel. But what if they hadn't swapped back and Bottas went on to finish the season 2 points behind Seb?

It isn't the first time either this season that he has let Lewis passed when asked by the team.
Looking at the comments on facebook of Sky and BBC storys about this is really something else, like @daan said, it wasn't his place to lose so personally I don't buy all the respect to him comments. having said that I understand from his championship point of view it can't be easy.

Also, I was watching it sunday on sky, and said to my brother how long before they bring up swapping the Mercs, answer, 21 laps! Last time I checked Bottas was still in the title race, but apparently sky don't think so :P What is the coverage like for those in different countries?

The race was a bit 'meh'. Think Hamilton was far enough ahead of Bottas to not have to swap back, so i was surprised that he did. Who would have thought it, 'Fernando is faster'......than all of you !. Happy that Seb won, its shaping up to be an epic battle in the second half of the season. Really enjoying the unpredictability this year, just what F1 needed.

It isn't the first time either this season that he has let Lewis passed when asked by the team.
Looking at the comments on facebook of Sky and BBC storys about this is really something else, like @daan said, it wasn't his place to lose so personally I don't buy all the respect to him comments. having said that I understand from his championship point of view it can't be easy.

Also, I was watching it sunday on sky, and said to my brother how long before they bring up swapping the Mercs, answer, 21 laps! Last time I checked Bottas was still in the title race, but apparently sky don't think so :P What is the coverage like for those in different countries?

I've watched a couple of races in Italy while Vettel has been racing for Ferrari and man... if you think that UK Sky is bias... Rai1 make UK Sky's coverage seem overly balanced.

I don't remember the race, but Ferrari had the race pace advantage and Seb basically took off from the front and never let up. Throughout the whole race the feed had picture in picture of Seb's onboard camera while the rest of the race was being shown.
Instead of Ted in the pit-lane they would cut to a feed of Fisichella, in full Ferrari gear, stood infront of the Ferrari press-board thing with all the sponsors on and talk almost exclusively about Ferrari's race.

When the race was over and Seb had won, all the commentators talked about was how much like Schumy he was... and then they seemed to literally interview every single member of the Ferrari team.

It was an experience to say the least.

Vettel has this one almost in the bag, Hamilton's pace is just a nudge off i say, as soon as he gets into dirty air he's toast while I've seen vettel make some undercuts and just more canny racing halfway through a grand prix. Lewis seems to get fatigued or he gives up at 60% distance. Bottas as races harder than Lewis it seems.

Vettel has this one almost in the bag, Hamilton's pace is just a nudge off i say, as soon as he gets into dirty air he's toast while I've seen vettel make some undercuts and just more canny racing halfway through a grand prix. Lewis seems to get fatigued or he gives up at 60% distance. Bottas as races harder than Lewis it seems.

What do you base that on?

Lewis won the Spanish GP while being noticeably fatigued during radio transmissions mid race, and he won on out right race pace over Ferrari and Vettel (over taking on track rather than in the pits).
Not only that, but this last weekend Lewis had far stronger race-pace through the race over Bottas as was visable when they swapped positions and Lewis left Bottas behind by about 7 seconds.. The only race I can think off where Bottas had better pace over a full race weekend was Russia.

If Lewis hadn't had been so unlucky in Baku he'd also have one more race win than Vettel too. To say Vettel has this season almost in the bag is to not have understood the season so far.

On the other side of the coin, Lewis didn't "lose" 3rd place. If Valtteri hadn't let Lewis past (temporarily) to have a futile go at Kimi, he wouldn't have got past and would have remained 4th for the whole race. As we all know, it is pretty impossible to overtake a comparable car in Hungary.

If Lewis loses the championship by 3 points, and you need to blame his Hungarian performance, it was his lack of qualifying pace that lost it for him. For a track where you cannot overtake, qualify ahead of Valtteri, finish ahead of Valtteri. Simples.

I have to agree with this. There was no way to know that Hamilton would have been able to legitimately pass Bottas, never mind Vettel, so 4th is what Hamilton deserved in that race.

The only way he could have near-guaranteed a finish ahead of Bottas is to start ahead of him and he didn't.

You tell us what not to call him but not what we should call him?
it's pronounced Richardo.
I agree, it's sad that even Ricciardo himself can't get it right! :mad:

Yes! It really is sad that he can't say his own name.

That's what he calls himself, you should let him know that him and his family are wrong. Ach so.
It's an Italian name, doesn't matter how he says it. Italian Americans also butcher their names, doesn't mean that is how you say the name. I bet you thought you were being smart here too hey?

It's an Italian name, doesn't matter how he says it. Italian Americans also butcher their names, doesn't mean that is how you say the name. I bet you thought you were being smart here too hey?

The proper way to pronounce someone's name is however they want it pronounced.

The proper way to pronounce someone's name is however they want it pronounced.
No it isn't lol. His name is Italian, you do not get to change the language just because it is your name ( he should tell the Italian pundits to stop saying his name wrong shouldn't he then?) . So if your name is Smith but you pronounce it as smurf, that's the correct way to pronounce it? Ok lolol. Btw, they are not pronouncing his name incorrectly, they are just not saying his name correctly at all.

My cousins grew up in America and his name is Iaquinta ( pronounced Ya quinta ) and the Americans call him eye-er-quinta. He knows how to say his name properly but like all American Italians allow people to butcher their names for some reason. I have an unusual name even by Italian standards and people mispronounced it all the time, but they don't completely say it wrong ( except my first name which is Marco, they call me Marcus, grinds my gears lol).

I think there is actually nothing that bothers more this. I wonder what Daniel Ricciardo would say if his name was actually Ricardo Ricciardo and everyone called him Ricardo Ricardo lol.

His name is Italian

But he isn't.

I'm one for usually getting uppity and pernickety about pronunciation but with people's names it's however they want it to be. I agree that ideally his surname should be spellt Ricardo to remove all doubt but it's his prerogative.

Given that he has even publicly acknowledged the difference, he's perfectly entitled to retain his spelling/pronunciation combination; it's not like he's living in denial or ignorance of the fact.

Next we'll be giving out for Italians mispronouncing Hamilton as 'Amilton. It's Hamilton. Hamilton (!)

Here's some English language surnames to have a listen to:

Featherstonhaugh (Fan-shaw)
Cholmondeley (Chum-lee)
Mainwaring (Man-er-ring)
Berkeley (Bark-lee)
Naughtie (Nock-er-tee)
Crichton (KRY-ten)

Splidding hairs over pronunciation is a slippery slope.

Last edited:
So if your name is Smith but you pronounce it as smurf, that's the correct way to pronounce it? Ok lolol.

I don't see why not. I mean it certainly wouldn't make sense to me, but it's not my call what people do with their lives and they can pronounce their name however they damn well please (they have to live with it after all).

No it isn't lol. His name is Italian, you do not get to change the language just because it is your name

You do get to change it based on the phonetic traditions of your own family, area or country's culture. You don't get to dictate as a person, area or country how other locales read and pronounce names. You don't get to unwrite the history of language. Pronunciations in language - particularly of names - change for all kinds of reasons as they spread and, unless I'm very much mistaken, Australia-land is a long way from Sicily.

Daniel was asked about this. His Dad told him to pronounce it the English way because it reduced issues with people in Australia pronouncing it wrong. Him and his family know it's wrong, but did it so people speaking his native language didn't struggle with it.

One half of Eddie Irvine's family pronounced their name as Ir-vin, the other half, Ir-vine.

And don't get us started on Barrichello.

Back