2017 Formula 1 VTB Russian Grand PrixFormula 1 

Well it's normal, the track is pretty new.Record that hold are usually set before 2009.

I'm well aware, just giving info that the lap record was beat in FP2, and thus we can extrapolate that it will be well improved once quali is over. Also lap records held prior to the 2009 really do make much sense due to variation in rules and what not, but even those can beat beat as shown.

Point is new lap record was made on a Friday, when a track is usually at its worst.

I'm well aware, just giving info that the lap record was beat in FP2, and thus we can extrapolate that it will be well improved once quali is over. Also lap records held prior to the 2009 really do make much sense due to variation in rules and what not, but even those can beat beat as shown.

Point is new lap record was made on a Friday, when a track is usually at its worst.
I only pointed out because you added only in your sentence. Which would mean it was something special or so I understood it.

The limitations of the Olympic Park I get, but it doesn't make the track any less mediocre.
All they would need to do is turn Turns 7 and 8 into a sweeper - following the shape of the stadium that section of the circuit encircles - so there would be a long right-hander into a double-apex left. And they could possibly bring Turn 15 forward so that rather than being a pair of ninety-degree corners, Turns 15 and 16 become a quick Melbourne-style chicane.

I don't think Baku is that bad of a circuit. Once you're past the 90 degree bends its really cool. Sochi has one good corner - turn 3, a couple of worthy ones - Turns 1, 2, 13. And then the rest of the track is so samey it's dull. They've managed to make a grid city street track from a blank canvas.

I only pointed out because you added only in your sentence. Which would mean it was something special or so I understood it.

I added only to emphasize it would clearly drop with in the next sessions.

I don't think Baku is that bad of a circuit. Once you're past the 90 degree bends its really cool. Sochi has one good corner - turn 3, a couple of worthy ones - Turns 1, 2, 13. And then the rest of the track is so samey it's dull. They've managed to make a grid city street track from a blank canvas.

Exactly what I bolded, this is what Sochi is in a nut shell and will be, and that's why I think people were so surprised with what we got from nothing.

Those auto-spin kerbs man...
It's F1 2010 all over again.

Feel so bad for Kimi, he was so close to a first pole in about 9 years. Botched it in the final sector. Really intense session there, but glad we are guaranteed an interesting race.

Where is Lewis' car today, because I'm not sure what is under him at the moment but it isn't the Mercedes we've know. Bottas did good but was beat by the tiny sliver.

Well done Ferrari lockout, also good job by Massa spliting the redbulls.

Where is Lewis' car today, because I'm not sure what is under him at the moment but it isn't the Mercedes we've know. Bottas did good but was beat by the tiny sliver.
Hamilton just slower soo far this weekend I would say.

Well done Ferrari lockout, also good job by Massa spliting the redbulls.

Hamilton just slower soo far this weekend I would say.

I'd say his car set up is the issue, clearly it isn't working with what he's trying to do. Especially when he's half a second down.

I'd say his car set up is the issue, clearly it isn't working with what he's trying to do. Especially when he's half a second down.
I mean Bottas has always been strong at Sochi in a weaker Williams so it could just be that Sochi is a track where he can hook up a lap much more easily than Hamilton can.

Bottas qualifying in front of Lewis for the second straight race. The guy has been improving by a lot. Lewis's car looks wild but I think it's partly because of his aggressiveness.

Seb's 1st sector got him that pole.

Entire season so far has felt a lot like McLaren Mercedes vs Ferrari circa 1998-2000. They're the only two teams that really mattered back then, much as Mercedes and Ferrari are the only teams that really matter now. We even have a German in a Ferrari and a Finn and a Brit in the Mercedes.

All we need now is a Forca India 1-2 in a monsoon at Spa...

Yeah Hamilton was consistently having handling issues, especially in sector 3. It definitely felt like something was wrong.

Stroll didn't crash, but he's a lot slower than Massa, who wasn't exactly setting the world alight before. Above all else, when the hell is that McLaren going to get their next PU upgrade? Spain? It's torture to watch, and probably torture to drive, too.

We even have a German in a Ferrari and a Finn and a Brit in the Mercedes.

Predictably Kimi is the odd one out (Mika Salo notwithstanding). We need a Northern Irishman in there to complete the set. Sign me up, Ferrari! :dopey:

To get an idea, the last time Ferrari had a 1-2 in qualifying it was on grooved Bridgestones.

The last time they won a title, too..........

I mean Bottas has always been strong at Sochi in a weaker Williams so it could just be that Sochi is a track where he can hook up a lap much more easily than Hamilton can.

Yeah I saw some person mention that Bottas was good here and might be a likely winner
This will be an interesting one, because if there was a track that Bottas has been consistent at since it's been on the F1 calander it's this one. And that was with a Williams, now the more superior Mercedes is in his hands. If anything I feel this is the track in the nearest future that he can get a win at. Lewis is good at this track as well, Vettel is the most hit or miss, if he wasn't taken out by a red bull last year it might be more easy to know how good he is.

I mean Sebastian is really good at tracks like Singapore and this one reminds me of that somewhat.

As for hooking up a better lap, Lewis said he was struggling with handling and the car was sliding every where and stepping out. It's clear in the videos that his setup and his driving style with it weren't matching up. And he's been having issues with it all weekend.

Pobably the worst track in recent years if not for Baku. I can see that it's probably a good drivers track though. The limitations of the Olympic Park I get, but it doesn't make the track any less mediocre.
Go to that other topic here about making your own tracks and see if you can draw up what you like.

Go to that other topic here about making your own tracks and see if you can draw up what you like.
Really, apart from making Turn 5 quicker by turning into the car park, there is not much you can do. The final sector sucks, but it's so space restricted, that the 8 90 degree bends are the only option.

Back