2017 General WEC/ELMS/AsLMS Discussion ThreadSports Cars 

• Thread starter IforceV8
  • 2,611 comments
There was probably a couple million waving in his face. I think any one would take that up. Mabby he will be back? Who knows.
Probably, I don't think we've seen the last of Dempsey. He'll be back soon enough. I hope he comes back anyway.

Interesting, how so?

Based on the fact that he was with Tom's in Japanese F3, and was a lot slower than his teammate that year. And would finish anywhere from 4-7th in his class, which had only 8 cars or so that season. He's one of a very small list of unsuccessful foreign drivers in Japan. And, we tested with the same team at the same venue and I had ran a lap time 1 second faster than his after just one day. And 1.5 after my third day.

Actually gutted by this hoped to see him get a Le Mans win
AE8770F3-03C8-4C19-8330-F45E3AE5FADD_zpsmhw5rmzs.jpg

Abit bummed to hear that, felt he was actually getting better. Thankfully, he hasn't said he's stopping for good so there is the hope that he'll be back.

Autosport are also saying the TS050 has a V4 engine. Motorsport.com were the first to say this last week. Wonder if true. But it won't be like Porsches engine since the turbo(s) aren't going to be driving a generator for an mgu-h. Toyota are staying double kers. I think this will provide a more efficient engine and perhaps more power. The advantage Porsche has is that it can recharge the batteries while accelerating. Can't wait to find out more.

There actually doing PR this year! I don't think they have built up this anticipation since they joined. :)

Based on the fact that he was with Tom's in Japanese F3, and was a lot slower than his teammate that year. And would finish anywhere from 4-7th in his class, which had only 8 cars or so that season. He's one of a very small list of unsuccessful foreign drivers in Japan. And, we tested with the same team at the same venue and I had ran a lap time 1 second faster than his after just one day. And 1.5 after my third day.

Fair enough :)

I assumed there was some personal experience behind what you'd said so I was just curious to hear it :) looks like in that respect the real and virtual worlds are pretty similar.

Fair enough :)

I assumed there was some personal experience behind what you'd said so I was just curious to hear it :) looks like in that respect the real and virtual worlds are pretty similar.

It's really nothing personal against him. I honestly have a small list of drivers that I rate. Richard wasn't too friendly when I first met him at Motegi 4 years ago, but like I said, it's not a personal issue with him. I can back it up with some on track facts.

Come to think of it, the only driver I have a personal issue with is Mattias Ekstrom. Damn good driver mind you, I just can't stand the way that his mind works, and I think he is a dirty driver as well. I've never met him though, so he might be alright in person.

@Kamuifanboy I bet you're looking forward to seeing if Kobayashi gets a seat in the TS050? I am. He deserves it imo.

Yeah, I really hope he does. I was sort of hoping for a huge switch up of drivers in LMP1. If I was in charge, it would look something like this.

Porsche #1: Hartley, Lieb, Webber
Porsche #2: Bamber, Jani, Tandy
Porsche #3: Bernhard, Hülkenburg, Montoya

Audi #7: Fässler, Lotterer, Tréyuler
Audi #8: Duval, Rockenfeller, Stanaway
Audi #9: Heidfeld, Rast, Vanthoor

Toyota #?: Buemi, Davidson, Nakajima
Toyota #?: Kobayashi, Rossiter, Sarrazin
Toyota #?: Caldarelli, Ishiura, Kovalainen

Obviously the 3rd cars would be the Spa/Le Mans only entries.

Who was every ones driver of the year in the WEC? To me, Michael Christensen was my driver of the year. I swear every time they mentioned his name, the car was moving forward or had a huge lead.

@Kamuifanboy

Just so you know, there are no 3rd entries for Porsche and Audi this year. And Toyota is very unlikely.

I know. If Toyota uses their brain, this might be the year to run a 3rd entry since Audi and Porsche are not. I bet if Toyota does, Audi and Porsche may be pressured to enter a 3rd as well.

They (the VAG bros) may stick to 2 cars indefinitely. The upcoming new rules for cost cutting are proposing only two lmp1 factory cars per team. Not sure if that takes LM into consideration or if that applies only to the wec. BTW, I'd keep Mike Conway before Sarrazin. He's a good deal younger and has proven to be faster in the #2 car.

I know. If Toyota uses their brain, this might be the year to run a 3rd entry since Audi and Porsche are not. I bet if Toyota does, Audi and Porsche may be pressured to enter a 3rd as well.

No, VAG spends more money than Toyota does and after the scandal and other Motorsport goals and potential future goals, they have to make these cut backs. There is no pressuring them.

No, VAG spends more money than Toyota does and after the scandal and other Motorsport goals and potential future goals, they have to make these cut backs. There is no pressuring them.

Last time I spoke with the guys at Lamborghini, and I quote, "The scandal does not effect our motorsports commitments as the amount in fines will not take a large enough hit into the groups money."

BTW, I'd keep Mike Conway before Sarrazin. He's a good deal younger and has proven to be faster in the #2 car.

He also lost it on his own and slammed the car into the wall at COTA.

Last time I spoke with the guys at Lamborghini, and I quote, "The scandal does not effect our motorsports commitments as the amount in fines will not take a large enough hit into the groups money."

Yes hence the expansion and paying for other areas or racing that aren't just WEC. There are still the lingering rumors of F1, and as you just said which I was also saying in my post, the slight dent from the scandal still allows for them to go racing. However, the step back in number of cars is believed to be a two fold effect, one is that of the new rules up coming and two is the running cost that is being saved from the additional third car on both teams that could pay for engine manufacture cost comparable to F1.

I didn't want to directly say these things because of "reasons". :lol:

Ginetta keeps talking about all the racing the G57 is going to be doing over here in the US. Where?

Ginetta keeps talking about all the racing the G57 is going to be doing over here in the US. Where?

They could race in the WSCC, but they would have to get IMSA to approve it similar to the GTLM BMW.

He also lost it on his own and slammed the car into the wall at COTA.
Sarrazin and Wurz have made mistakes just as bad. I think you should look at the data from last year's Bahrain race. Conway was consistently the fastest in the #2, notably so. That's not the only instance either.

Sarrazin and Wurz have made mistakes just as bad. I think you should look at the data from last year's Bahrain race. Conway was consistently the fastest in the #2, notably so. That's not the only instance either.

I can't recall Sarrazin making any mistakes that were race ending on spot in my memory. I have been known to forget things though. With my second car for Toyota in my lineup, Kobayashi is there because they need a Japanese driver in each car, he's quick, and he will be able to sell merchandise in Japan. Rossiter because he is quick and consistent. Sarrazin to be the dad of the team, bring the car to the next stint, and keep the drivers focused on the job at hand. I feel that it would be the strongest that way.

Rossiter hasn't even tested the car, Conway has a full season in it- his first- last year. Note, that was his first full season yet he was faster than Wurz and Sarrazin. It'll be Conway, Sarrazin and Kobayashi in the second car with the first car unchanged imo. Maybe they go bold and do Conway, Nakajima, Kobayashi and put Sarrazin in with Buemi and Davidson :lol:

Rossiter hasn't even tested the car, Conway has a full season in it- his first- last year. Note, that was his first full season yet he was faster than Wurz and Sarrazin. It'll be Conway, Sarrazin and Kobayashi in the second car with the first car unchanged imo. Maybe they go bold and do Conway, Nakajima, Kobayashi and put Sarrazin in with Buemi and Davidson :lol:

Speed is not everything my friend, speed is not everything. It's a balance of reliability, speed, and grit. You either get drivers who have all the traits, or you get one of each driver on your team to make an all around strong team. I feel I've put each of those kind of drivers in each and every team that I have constructed. I'm going to assume that you couldn't find a time when Sarrazin crashed the car hard enough to retire it on spot considering you skipped over that point? Because I certainly can't recall it happening. But again, I have been known to forget things.

A look at the possible 'Murica invasion of LeMans.

Granted it's doubtful every one of them will get an invite, but just seeing the increased interest from U.S. teams is a great sign.
Well dang, even many decades since the Ferrari vs Ford battle, Ferrari called upon two American Ferrari teams to enter in Pro to deal with the 4 car onslaught by the blue oval. The Scuderia has a long memory. :sly: I have a feeling Aston Martin and Corvette will spoil their fight though. :P

#NAV8masterrace ·_·7

Hopefully that Viper gets another invite, we all know Ben Keating will do everything possible to ensure that car makes the grid,

Speed is not everything my friend, speed is not everything. It's a balance of reliability, speed, and grit. You either get drivers who have all the traits, or you get one of each driver on your team to make an all around strong team. I feel I've put each of those kind of drivers in each and every team that I have constructed. I'm going to assume that you couldn't find a time when Sarrazin crashed the car hard enough to retire it on spot considering you skipped over that point? Because I certainly can't recall it happening. But again, I have been known to forget things.
You were proposing putting Rossiter in the car. He has no experience in the Toyota. He hasn't driven an lmp1 in a while let alone the new hybrid cars. But you think Conway shouldn't be in there even though he's basically the only hope in that lineup currently to keep pace. Sarrazin is a vet, but yes he's made his mistakes, Brazil 2013 comes to mind. Thst was race ending, and was the only car entered. He also has never won LM. Conway did just fine at LM, where it matters most. So imo, there's nothing wrong with keeping Conway if they were to lose one of the two.

On the Toyota front- autohebdo report on their first test at Aragorn that they're running a 2.4L v6. Motorsport-magazin.com has a short write up.

Last edited:
Sarrazin is a vet, but yes he's made his mistakes, Brazil 2013 comes to mind. Thst was race ending, and was the only car entered.

I vaguely remember that incident. Didn't the Praga run him off the track though? Senna Esses? If my memory is correct, he had help. It wasn't on his own.

You were proposing putting Rossiter in the car. He has no experience in the Toyota. He hasn't driven an lmp1 in a while let alone the new hybrid cars. But you think Conway shouldn't be in there even though he's basically the only hope in that lineup currently to keep pace. Sarrazin is a vet, but yes he's made his mistakes, Brazil 2013 comes to mind. Thst was race ending, and was the only car entered. He also has never won LM. Conway did just fine at LM, where it matters most. So imo, there's nothing wrong with keeping Conway if they were to lose one of the two.

On the Toyota front- autohebdo report on their first test at Aragorn that they're running a 2.4L v6. Motorsport-magazin.com has a short write up.
I vaguely remember that incident. Didn't the Praga run him off the track though? Senna Esses? If my memory is correct, he had help. It wasn't on his own.

As I recall indeed Praga had a brain fade and just cleaned him out.

Back