Sports Cars 2017 General WEC/ELMS/AsLMS Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by IforceV8, Dec 30, 2015.

1. trustjab

trustjab

Hey guys, bookmark this site for next week on the 4th http://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/detail/10972335/ for Toyota's 2016 motorsport conference. I'm pretty sure they'll announce their wec lineup. Then the next day (5th) is the wec press conference!

2. IforceV8

IforceV8

3. Kamuifanboy

Kamuifanboy

4. Furi

Furi Premium

Fords are New this year.

5. IforceV8

IforceV8

Yep, Ford replaces the beetles and swap a Aston for a different beetle. Expect at minimum 4-6 Imsa entries for Le Mans-2 Vettes, 2 CORE Porsche's,and if they are allowed entry 2 Fords.

6. SK8RBOI

SK8RBOI

I would rather the extra Ford's got a spot in the grid over a 2 GTE AM entry.

7. IforceV8

IforceV8

8. trustjab

trustjab

Ryo Hirakawa (gt500 driver in the KeePer RC F) tested the 2015 TS040 at Aragon with 3 others who remain anonymous. This test was the first with the TS050 and last year's car ran alongside it. I think if we do some digging we might make a connection. Japanese autosport says he may do some elms this year. If that is true, maybe he on Toyota's radar for a future drive in their lmp1?

twitcher likes this.
  9. Holdenhsvgtsr

Holdenhsvgtsr

10. TDZdave

TDZdave

11. PASM

PASM Moderator

12. IforceV8

IforceV8

13. Niku Driver HC

Niku Driver HC

Krohn makes one wise decision (give control of his team to another team with proper experience in the class), but offsets that very same decision with a bad one (making himself one of the team's drivers). This man never ceases to amaze me with his ways of thinking, I can say that much... Maybe he just wants to entertain crowds with his "exuberant" style of driving.

14. IforceV8

IforceV8

15. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

16. catamount39

catamount39

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  17. Kamuifanboy

Kamuifanboy

Wait, Ford doesn't have an invite yet?

Well, I got some inside info about 5 days ago that Kobayashi will stay in Super Formula, then Hirakawa (My ex teammate from 2012) will be running WEC with Toyota. So this doesn't surprise me at all.

SK8RBOI and catamount39 like this.
  18. Holdenhsvgtsr

Holdenhsvgtsr

Only the WEC cars do.

19. Kamuifanboy

Kamuifanboy

Oh I see. So you guys were saying they may get a CGR over there as well then. That makes more sense then

catamount39 likes this.
  20. SagarisGTB

SagarisGTB

Racing in Super Formula doesn't preclude a driver from racing in LMP1 (Lotterer, Nakajima etc.), particularly now that SF is actively avoiding having clashes with WEC.

I'd love to see Hirakawa get a shot in LMP1 in the future, he's a promising talent, but it doesn't make sense to pass on the WEC-experienced Kobayashi unless Hirakawa tested really well and Kamui didn't.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    trustjab likes this.
  21. trustjab

trustjab

Kamui is faster as well. He was better than Hirakawa in Super Formula in only his first season, in the same team- Kygnus Sunoco Team LeMans. If he is part of the wec team, that would seriously surprise me. Koby speaks good english which like Nakajima, is key to getting the best out of the team, lineup/driver pairing. There was rumor that Hiroaki Ishiura (Super Formula champ) was left out because he didn't have good english. The team said it was back issues from the high downforce, but that looks questionable seeing as how he's current SF champ and previous SGT champ.

22. trustjab

trustjab

Porsche testing in Abu Dhabi

23. Kamuifanboy

Kamuifanboy

Hirakawa speaks good... enough English. He was always attempting to use English with me in 2012 rather than Japanese. By the end of the year, he had really improved a lot. Good enough to be able to get his point across to engineers. He's relatively quick as well as, I wouldn't be too surprised if he was bringing some budget or sponsorship to the team, as his father is a successful businessman selling medical equipment to many of the hospitals in the southern half of Japan.

24. IforceV8

IforceV8

ukfan758 likes this.
  25. Furi

Furi Premium

[​IMG]

ukfan758 likes this.
  26. trustjab

trustjab

We'll find out in a couple days. Toyota confirmed they will reveal their lineup during the motorsport press conference Thursday.

SK8RBOI likes this.
  27. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

I don't know if it's the armco but, if you look close where the shark fin starts from the air vent it is strange. The fin starts higher so this makes me think the vent his more lower and could be spread out width wise when looking at the car head on. Or like I said could be the armco and fuzzy picture playing tricks.

28. SK8RBOI

SK8RBOI

Yea I think it's just the shade. Well spotted though!

LMSCorvetteGT2 likes this.
  29. IforceV8

IforceV8

Pretty soon a flow chart will be needed to keep track of which P2 team is which.

JOTA is now G-Drive. http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/02/03/jota-sport-reveals-g-drive-racing-wec-effort.html

Morand is now RGR, a JS P2 and Nissan instead of Morgan Sard with some fast drivers. http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/rgr-sport-by-morand-launched-albuquerque-senna-confirmed/

ESM have dropped HPD and Krohn and Morand have dropped Judd/Sard and have all switched to Nissan. I think that now makes the entire P2 field powered by Nissan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ukfan758, fortbo, G.T.Ace and 3 others like this.
  30. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

Oh P2, always confusing the hell out of everyone. Maybe that's the real reason ACO changed the rules because they got lost with all the Alpine/Wolfs/courages running around :lol: