2017 General WEC/ELMS/AsLMS Discussion ThreadSports Cars 

• Thread starter IforceV8
  • 2,611 comments
Here's a rough side by side image of TS050 vs TS040- That roofline! The airbox is way forward as well.

CaV0oqvUAAAhtfq.jpg
The new car is a V4 right?

We've seen way too much white in LMP1 over the past couple of years, so I'm a bit bummed by another predominantly white livery.
On the other hand awesome news that they're putting Kobayashi in the car 👍

I find it especially ironic how people throw around that the color scheme is German when the division based around the Toyota WEC program is German...so I'd say they are just as entitled to it as Porsche and Audi are.

wec-silverstone-2015-8-audi-sport-team-joest-audi-r18-e-tron-quattro-lucas-di-grassi-loic.jpg

CaVgRUjUcAASvPG.jpg

wec-porsche-919-hybrid-launch-2015-the-2015-spec-porsche-919-hybrid.jpg

How very clever of them.

2015-Toyota-TS040-0.jpg

That is a Toyota hybrid.

This is gazoo.

great-gazoo.jpg

I didn't know black and white was exclusively a "German" color combo. Its the Gazoo Racing colors, which were on those cars well before Audi had those for its R18 (which has bits of silver you missed by the way) or Porsche had them for its 919.

Also, quite the appropriate picture you have there, dum-dum ;)

I always had the theory that Toyota went with blue to pick up a few former Peugeot fans after they gave up. It was around that time that they did it.

Erm. Did you miss Total sponsorship they picked up? The stayed with the blue afterwards fair enough, but it was done because of Total in the first place. It's a shame, I liked the red/white test car the best.

I find it especially ironic how people throw around that the color scheme is German when the division based around the Toyota WEC program is German...so I'd say they are just as entitled to it as Porsche and Audi are.
It is silly. I mean, it's Toyota! They're Japanese! Red and White anyone?
japan-flag.jpg

Anyway, motorsport-total are saying Adrian Sutil tested(?) TS040 and could be in the running for reserve driver.

I didn't know black and white was exclusively a "German" color combo. Its the Gazoo Racing colors, which were on those cars well before Audi had those for its R18 (which has bits of silver you missed by the way) or Porsche had them for its 919.

Also, quite the appropriate picture you have there, dum-dum ;)
I just love original designs.

Ah no Germans here, just all the same old boring colors.

Thankfully the Russian's showed up and changed it.

And what's exactly not "Original" about the Gazoo Racing design?

those Gazoo Racing cars I posted were run 2008-2011, again many years before Audi and Porsche had their LMP1 cars with those same two colors.

Also, that 2004 Audi R8 was run by team goh, a Japanese team ;)
Common sense=4 V8=0

Why haven't Audi (and Porsche?) run mostly silver like they have in the past? I miss country racing colours.

Also, no such thing as an 'original livery' these days.

Why haven't Audi (and Porsche?) run mostly silver like they have in the past? I miss country racing colours.

Also, no such thing as an 'original livery' these days.
Audi still runs silver. Porsche hasn't run a primarily silver car since the early days of the Martini sponsorship.

You're right. Didn't look close enough. Can I say it looks grey not silver? :P
They're pretty much interchangeable anyway. They got the silver arrow nickname on those cars back in the early days of racing due to not painting the cars, but unpainted metal tends to be more grey than silver.

You think red and white are German colors? Take a look at this picture of Toyota's 30-year LM history

zvp6x7vu3jkybndebuuk.jpg

Go back 31 years to the 85c, red and white. 85, 87, 89, 90, 92 etc. Red and white. ;)

You think red and white are German colors? Take a look at this picture of Toyota's 30-year LM history

zvp6x7vu3jkybndebuuk.jpg

Go back 31 years to the 85c, red and white. 85, 87, 89, 90, 92 etc. Red and white. ;)
He's not saying, and no one else is saying that red and white are German colors.

I'm just going to be plain picky here and point out Audi ran red / white in 1980 in WRC ;)

I'm also going to say I am disappointed in TrustSethJnr (I joke) for failing to back date Toyota red and white to 1970 and this thing:

547287686_7bb3536e30.jpg

And even better, there was a blue/white version!
1420-1.jpg

TrustSethJnr (I joke)
:lol:
Nobody is claiming that, we're bemoaning the fact that every LMP1 team is using a predominantly white livery with red and/or black accents. Toyota's blue was a nice break in pattern.

I'm just going to be plain picky here and point out Audi ran red / white in 1980 in WRC ;)

I'm also going to say I am disappointed in TrustSethJnr (I joke) for failing to back date Toyota red and white to 1970 and this thing:

547287686_7bb3536e30.jpg

1420-1.jpg

And they ran it in the GTO class as well.

Porsche 919 Hybrid testing at Abu Dhabi.

That nose looks somewhat DP or P2 American, which scares me a bit, then the rest of the aero brings it back to a proper LMP1.

547287686_7bb3536e30.jpg

1420-1.jpg
My brother actually has a son named Seth jr. :D I was only putting up the LM history of Toyota's red&white, but like you showed, it goes back even further.
Nobody is claiming that, we're bemoaning the fact that every LMP1 team is using a predominantly white livery with red and/or black accents. Toyota's blue was a nice break in pattern.
Still had a majority of white, though! Maybe because white reflects heat which keeps the car cooler? I know that's why they use the silver roof.

Still had a majority of white, though! Maybe because white reflects heat which keeps the car cooler? I know that's why they use the silver roof.

Then why drop the blue, when they already had white...

Also a single turbo V4 configuration as suggested isn't going to need a ton of cooling, it has an intake and other systems to help it along just fine compared to what Audi run. The V8 may have needed even less cooling due to no forced induction. Also the system wont be a supercapacitor thus weight and also frequent energy spent due to the type of discharge system will save them from the extra cooling as well. Since their smaller MJ capacitor compared to batteries of higher work output need plenty of under body cooling from air flow.

So if anything due to doing things in a different manner and tackling them should prove more helpful to them then adding more white to "reflect heat", and I don't recall carbon fiber being a very big thermal conductor in the first place.

But I could've sworn Mcnish was in the Porsche in 98.

I think you've misunderstood something somewhere... I quoted a poster of Toyota's at Le Mans. And have stated that my boss was in the Pole sitting TS020 in 99' (1999) driving the #1 car.

Last edited:
I think you've misunderstood something somewhere... I quoted a poster of Toyota's at Le Mans. And have stated that my boss was in the Pole sitting TS020 in 98' (1998) driving the #1 car.

Wait a minute:

My boss in that 99' Pole sitting #1 car :)

So, which is it? I swear the GT-ONE sat on Pole in 99 and Mcnish was one of those drivers. I might've gotten the others wrong admittingly.

Edit: Mcnish was in the 2, sorry. I don't know why I kept thinking he was in the 1. I still believe it was 99.

Last edited:
Wait a minute:

So, which is it? I swear the GT-ONE sat on Pole in 99 and Mcnish was one of those drivers. I might've gotten the others wrong admittingly.

Whoops! I really should double check my posts. My original post has the correct year, which is 99. And no, my boss always tells the story of how Brundle set the pole for that car. So it was definitely Brundle.

Back