2017 General WEC/ELMS/AsLMS Discussion ThreadSports Cars 

• Thread starter IforceV8
  • 2,611 comments
I like that they'll try to keep Fuji from clashing with Petite Le Mans, and kinda figured that they would market the WEC 12 hour as its own thing.

Also, this means that Silverstone is going to be strictly ELMS?

Nice clarification of Sebring, although it does make WEC Sebring feel a little uneeded as much as I actually like the idea of going back Sebring.

Also, this means that Silverstone is going to be strictly ELMS?

I'm guessing it will be short-term, until the WEC can figure out some way to reinstate the race into it's calendar if it can. Perhaps for the 2019/20 season.

Unless they decide to have Silverstone in both championships.

Clearly, the solution would be a multi-championship multi-class 24 hour race at Sebring.

thinking-face_1f914.png

Clearly, the solution would be a multi-championship multi-class 24 hour race at Sebring.

thinking-face_1f914.png
No. IMSA will not scuttle the history of the 12hrs of Sebring to bailout the FIA and they will not share a track were the DPi is not the top class.

No. IMSA will not scuttle the history of the 12hrs of Sebring to bailout the FIA and they will not share a track were the DPi is not the top class.
Didn't they do it back in 2011 and 2012 though. Yeah both were using LMP1 but 1 was clearly better than the other, making IMSA cars looking like chumps.

Granted I don't even think FIA/ACO want to do themselves anyway as their 12 Hours of Sebring is more appropriate to the times of Europe while IMSA is more for Americans.

Didn't they do it back in 2011 and 2012 though. Yeah both were using LMP1 but 1 was clearly better than the other, making IMSA cars looking like chumps.

Granted I don't even think FIA/ACO want to do themselves anyway as their 12 Hours of Sebring is more appropriate to the times of Europe while IMSA is more for Americans.
Yeah it was a shared race but there are too many differences now between the series.

Does anyone see a problem with having Le Mans as the final race?

Sure, having the most important and difficult race at the end is Rainbow Road levels of fitting but the issue I have is the competitive field and point system. A lot of times in FIA WEC, the title for LMP1 is decided before the final round, which ruins tension for the final race which I feel like isn't something you want for the most important race on the calendar. Most series either have their big race at the beginning or near the end, so they still have some tension while causing an overall stir up, you can't really do it when you're the finale unless the season overall is ultra competitive.

Does anyone see a problem with having Le Mans as the final race?

Sure, having the most important and difficult race at the end is Rainbow Road levels of fitting but the issue I have is the competitive field and point system. A lot of times in FIA WEC, the title for LMP1 is decided before the final round, which ruins tension for the final race which I feel like isn't something you want for the most important race on the calendar. Most series either have their big race at the beginning or near the end, so they still have some tension while causing an overall stir up, you can't really do it when you're the finale unless the season overall is ultra competitive.

Yes. One big one. If the World Championship titles are won at Le Mans and they are not the Le Mans winners, no one will pay attention to them. Only Le Mans matters at that point.

Bailout the wec? Come on now, it's really not a vs. thread or 'my series is better than your's' type of thing. IMSA didn't allow the WEC to go there to Sebring. IMSA also moved away from what they and the ACO agreed upon with DPi. A combined event wouldn't work because different officiating on top of the mix up of classes and spec tires that IMSA prefers every car run besides GTE. The DPi's would get smoked by wec lmp2's just from the tires alone. IMSA (it's really more Nascar decision making now) isn't going to have 'their' cars shown up in the same race anyway.

LMP1 is awesome and amazing in technology, speeds etc. It's falling now because VW don't play fairly on emissions and got caught resulting in massive fines. That's why Audi and now Porsche are leaving. The whole VAG is going to hurt because of it. They were the ones spending big bucks, it wasn't the fault of the rules. Nissan had a budget probably 10-20% of that of Audi and Porsche. They needed a working hybrid to fix the car, but they left on top of that because of how much they thought they'd have to invest just to keep up the development pace of Audi and Porsche. There's an autosport.com article on it floating around.

I'm all for DPi and lmp1 having like rules in the future. I said that a while ago that that's the class DPi should be in, not equal to lmp2. If you are going to have manufacturer's involved, changing the car, changing the engine, changing (some of) the aero... just make it a different class and stop tinkering with the bop to slow them down to lmp2 cars.

Bailout the wec?
Yeah. Where else were they going to race in the U.S.? And in front of what fans? What is the draw, Toyota running around in front of the CLM after the fire has been put out or a bunch of Russians in a SMP Dallara? The GT battle between Ford vs Ferrari vs Porsche vs BMW, we have that already and the Chevy V8 sounds better than the Aston so IMSA wins that one too. GTE-Am or GTD, thats a tie.

The DPi's would get smoked by wec lmp2's just from the tires alone
These are the DPi's that are slowed down so the unrestricted P2's can keep pace right? Dont confuse the crap that Continental provides IMSA with the tires Dunlop and Michelin provide for P2.

IMSA also moved away from what they and the ACO agreed upon with DPi
Who did what? http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/130881-pruett-rug-pulled-out-from-under-dpi-hopefuls

LMP1 is awesome and amazing in technology, speeds etc. It's falling now because VW don't play fairly on emissions and got caught resulting in massive fines. That's why Audi and now Porsche are leaving. The whole VAG is going to hurt because of it. They were the ones spending big bucks, it wasn't the fault of the rules. Nissan had a budget probably 10-20% of that of Audi and Porsche. They needed a working hybrid to fix the car, but they left on top of that because of how much they thought they'd have to invest just to keep up the development pace of Audi and Porsche. There's an autosport.com article on it floating around.
Yep, and the ride is over.

I'm all for DPi and lmp1 having like rules in the future. I said that a while ago that that's the class DPi should be in, not equal to lmp2. If you are going to have manufacturer's involved, changing the car, changing the engine, changing (some of) the aero... just make it a different class and stop tinkering with the bop to slow them down to lmp2 cars.
I like the idea that DPi could be let run wild and free from P2 but I'm afraid of what that will do to the costs. GM ruined DP, GS, and PWC GT by pumping unchecked cash into those programs and already turned the 2017 Rolex 24 into a fraud with the car they built this year. Giving them free reign would kill DPi.

Yeah. Where else were they going to race in the U.S.? And in front of what fans? What is the draw, Toyota running around in front of the CLM after the fire has been put out or a bunch of Russians in a SMP Dallara? The GT battle between Ford vs Ferrari vs Porsche vs BMW, we have that already and the Chevy V8 sounds better than the Aston so IMSA wins that one too. GTE-Am or GTD, thats a tie.
The CLM hasn't caught fire since it switched to the Nissan engine. Ginetta is not Russian, neither is Dallara. Those are the cars looking likely to join lmp1 next year.

These are the DPi's that are slowed down so the unrestricted P2's can keep pace right? Dont confuse the crap that Continental provides IMSA with the tires Dunlop and Michelin provide for P2.
Why are you repeating what I just said? :lol:

You realize that DPi was supposed to run the same electronics as lmp2 right? Since that changed, so did them running at Le Mans. That article doesn't even tell you the reason why, all it basically says is 'ACO bad'.

Yep, and the ride is over.
That's not what the rules say, that's not what the privateers say, that's not what the news articles say.

I like the idea that DPi could be let run wild and free from P2 but I'm afraid of what that will do to the costs. GM ruined DP, GS, and PWC GT by pumping unchecked cash into those programs and already turned the 2017 Rolex 24 into a fraud with the car they built this year. Giving them free reign would kill DPi.
It doesn't need to be expensive. New regulations can make it so.

neither is Dallara.

But the money funding that project is.

That's not what the rules say, that's not what the privateers say, that's not what the news articles say.

Oh, so teams have finally started announcing their LMP1 entries?

I've seen lots of talk about new entrants, but no real details. Perrinn has canceled their car, Ginetta announced theirs but so far no teams have surfaced and SMP is probably the only one that will actually happen.

Wasn't the whole point of the new LMP2 regulations was to scare LMP2 teams into LMP1?

LMP1 being exclusively a World Championship makes it hard for private teams to join though. I don't know how they're going to fix this LMP1 problem for the Super Season judging by SMP being the LMP1 privateer that is so far confirmed completely.

But the money funding that project is.

Oh, so teams have finally started announcing their LMP1 entries?

I've seen lots of talk about new entrants, but no real details. Perrinn has canceled their car, Ginetta announced theirs but so far no teams have surfaced and SMP is probably the only one that will actually happen.
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/neveu-aiming-to-have-a-good-quality-lmp1-grid-for-2018-19/

The WEC boss expects to be having a good amount of lmp1 teams next year. I never said anything was concrete. I refuted the claim that lmp1 is dead. It's clearly not. As shown this year, you only need two teams to have a race/class. If you count on one hand you even have enough to race. Kolles is expected to return, SMP Dallara, possibly 2, 3 Ginetta's and Toyota. That doesn't sound like a dead class. The teams are not announcing anything yet except their intent. I don't think I said that. But if the head of the series says it's going to be subscribed, I believe him over internet forums (not just here either).

I believe him over internet forums (not just here either).

I don't believe either of them or a large majority of new teams. The head of the series has to pretend that everything is rosy even when it's not. Forum posters are usually less knowledgeable than they think. And new teams usually have high aspirations, but little else.

How many times have we seen organizers say new manufacturers and teams are interested only for neither to happen? The same thing can be said of new teams, unless they are an established name it's best to take a "I'll believe it when I see it" approach as they usually fade away or only enter a race or two.

Sure, and it is not the point here.

Except it is and you're just burying your head in the sand. Generally the amount of armchair experts about sportscars is frightening.

LMP1-H would have died soon but it's died as quick as it has NOT because of high costs but because Diesel-gate.

LMP2 is going to grow and grow, no issue there.

GTE is the strongest it has ever been.

DPi in this conversation is not even relevant yet some people insist on trying to bring it in to every debate.

Back