2017 General WEC/ELMS/AsLMS Discussion ThreadSports Cars 

• Thread starter IforceV8
  • 2,611 comments
Hold up. Wasn't LMP2 in this years FIA WEC, lower than last year?

As I have previously explained, first year of new regulations. Not as many chassis / parts available. Same thing happened with GTE across both divisions, now look how that is starting to grow.

As I have previously explained, first year of new regulations. Not as many chassis / parts available. Same thing happened with GTE across both divisions, now look how that is starting to grow.
When did GTE go through an overhaul with its regulations? I thought it has stayed mostly the same, gradually changing, or did I skip a year?

When did GTE go through an overhaul with its regulations? I thought it has stayed mostly the same, gradually changing, or did I skip a year?

The new regulations for 2016 with added aero and more power meant all new cars for GTE-PRO, old cars went to AM and so this year has had a slightly awkward transition in AM with a couple old machines and newer ones trying to mix. There should be Aston's available next year, there's Porsche's sold out, and customer Ford GT plans. Also who knows what Larbre / Vette are planning.

DJh-cgNWAAITDvZ.jpg

DJh5npvXkAIwYxK.jpg

DJh5o-dXcAAS2SG.jpg

ELMS entry list Spa next week

DJg862IXcAECZxy.jpg

Last edited:
Livery-wise, I'm not so sure about having red in the kidney grilles.

Car-wise, I'm liking what I'm seeing. They've definitely taken a page out of Ford and Porsche's books regarding the rear diffuser setup.

Fuji clash with Petit has been fixed too with Fuji moving a week later. The U.K. round is a doubleheader with the ELMS.

DJyK_ytW4AAcXKG.jpg

Last edited:
If Alonso could find a way to sneak into one of the Toyotas next year he'd have a 50% chance of winning just by starting the race.

I don't believe either of them or a large majority of new teams. The head of the series has to pretend that everything is rosy even when it's not.

Exactly. Look no further then Daytona Beach for a perfect example on how to ignore all flaws.

How many times have we seen organizers say new manufacturers and teams are interested only for neither to happen?

Quite a lot. (usually involving a brand that can't seem to stop being financially incapable and one that fanboys keep begging for just to get rid of dem darn foreigners). Always ends the same way: Nothing happens, hopes are crushed and people are somehow upset that what had no power behind it to happen didn't happen.

And as usual, I'm left wondering when will fans wise the hell up..

Finally a so-called World Championship with all its races being held on a single continent over a calendar year. So very global.
Yeah because Japan and China are totally Europe.

and to be fair even if it was Europe only, this isn't anything new. Annoying but isn't anything new.

Yeah because Japan and China are totally Europe.

and to be fair even if it was Europe only, this isn't anything new. Annoying but isn't anything new.
They are both on Eurasia, just as the rest of the championship in 2018.

Europe is often considered a continent by Eurocentric convention, but I don't accept that. It clearly isn't. Any definition of continent that Europe meets, India would also adhere to (plus India meets other criteria that Europe doesn't: India has its own tectonic plate and India is almost exclusively surrounded by mountains on its land borders, rather than being demarcated from rest of Eurasia by a river for 2000 km). Both are regions of the world and both are peninsula, not continents. But I digress.

Last edited:
They are both on Eurasia, just as the rest of the championship in 2018.

Europe is often considered a continent by Eurocentric convention, but I don't accept that. It clearly isn't. Any definition of continent that Europe meets, India would also adhere to (plus India meets other criteria that Europe doesn't: India has its own tectonic plate and India is almost exclusively surrounded by mountains on its land borders, rather than being demarcated from rest of Eurasia by a river for 2000 km). Both are regions of the world and both are peninsula, not continents. But I digress.
When you group considered continents which only have geographical similarity together, it would be massively hard to even make a "World" Championship.

Aside countries in the Americas, there would be no other valuable choices. Africa and Australia don't have any long lasting valuabe WEC suitable tracks.

When you group considered continents which only have geographical similarity together, it would be massively hard to even make a "World" Championship.

Aside countries in the Americas, there would be no other valuable choices. Africa and Australia don't have any long lasting valuabe WEC suitable tracks.
Kyalami begs to disagree for South Africa's case.

Indeed, but a full year without a race in the motorsport-rich western hemisphere is weak for the pinnacle of sports cars. Hopefully Sebring lasts a while if nothing else becomes available in the Americas to replace it.

Indeed, but a full year without a race in the motorsport-rich western hemisphere is weak for the pinnacle of sports cars. Hopefully Sebring lasts a while if nothing else becomes available in the Americas to replace it.
True, albeit over there is more in line with Oval Racing than Sportscar Racing.

Eva
Kyalami begs to disagree for South Africa's case.
Is that even WEC appropriate nowadays? I love the track but it's been awhile since I saw it in action.

True, albeit over there is more in line with Oval Racing than Sportscar Racing.

Is that even WEC appropriate nowadays? I love the track but it's been awhile since I saw it in action.
Last time I checked it had a 1T grade.

It seems that today Paul Dalla Lana has been nominated as the driver of the day to get hit by each class of car. Check off GTE-AM and P2 so far.:boggled:

How often does Oliver Gavin call WEC races for RLM? Interesting to hear him call a race because I've never heard him with them before in an actual race broadcast.

Wow, every time these P1 guys get near each other they race like it's the last 5 laps, they are putting on quite a show today!

Back