2017 General WEC/ELMS/AsLMS Discussion ThreadSports Cars 

• Thread starter IforceV8
  • 2,611 comments
A midnight-to-noon 12hr race the day after the IMSA Sebring 12hr? Interesting, and could work well for European TV...though having it right after would preclude any IMSA GTLM and non-DPi prototype teams from running it.

Here's the official press release: http://www.fiawec.com/en/news/new-l...ld-endurance-championship-for-the-future/5354

• From 2018/2019, and in the future, there will only be one category (and consequently one classification) in LMP1

• To make it as accessible as possible to join this category from the 2018-2019 season onwards, the level of performance of the current non-hybrid LMP1 regulations managed via equivalence of technologies will be aligned with the current LMP1 hybrid regulations.

So LMP1-HY and LMP1-L will be combined and they'll be BoP'd. Interesting.

FIA clearly targeting their own Euro market with that midnight to noon Sebring race...would've preferred (as messy as it could be) a combined Sebring event.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/09/01/lmp1-regulations-tweaked-for-201819.html

In addition to this, Gerard Neveu also told DSC, that Toyota will not be able to enter the Le Mans 24 Hours in LMP1, unless it enters the full FIA WEC season in 2018/2019 and beyond. DSC also understands that other chassis suppliers in the LMP1 class – Ginetta and Dallara –should be able to enter the LMP1 Manufacturer’s World Championship (the current entry fee for which is €360,000).

This leaves Toyota with a interesting decision. Pay for the budget to run atleast 1 car for the year and pay several drivers to sit on their ass for 4 months and race against teams that are spending a fraction of the money and will be BOP'd to their level or pull the plug and never get that elusive win at Le Mans.

I just cross referenced the 2018 WEC schedule with IMSA's and the FIA managed to stick the opening round at Spa on the Mid-Ohio weekend and the Fuji round in October on the Petit Le Mans weekend.:rolleyes:

better version of the calendar.

DIrWc5mXoAArkQk.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good to me. I don't think Toyota wants to leave anyway. They have never said they're just wanting to do Le Mans. They've supported the wec since 2012 and with this, they will continue to do so. Nothing stopped Audi and Porsche from beating little private teams in their past, why should Toyota care? On top of that, the rules are relaxed and you can have a manufacturer now enter without even running a hybrid, and they can run an engine they see fit instead of the tiny-turbo route that everyone was forced to run thanks to the fuel flow meters. If a DPi manufacturer wants to enter Le Mans, make a good car and engine then enter.

This will be an interesting season indeed, something to look into for sure. Granted calling it a super season is stretching it since it is just 8 rounds. Seems a lot of races had to be sacrificed because of this.

However I welcome this change fullest, the current FIA WEC calendar is getting incredibly stale and something long and unique like this is something that is to shake up the series.

Not sure about 2 12 Hours of Sebrings in the same weekend. Glad they aren't being stock with 6 Hours of all non-Le Mans races but I feel like this might tarnish the 12 Hours of Sebring a bit. What qualifies as the real deal? Which names gets plastered on the pit lane?

I guess in theory that Toyota could just use the current car and win the next 2 Le Mans and focus on reliability. A non hybrid P1 car would need at minimum 800hp to get close to the TS050 and would use too much fuel doing it.

IDK how that ultimatum by the FIA will go over with the Toyota board of directors though after all the have done to support the series.

I guess in theory that Toyota could just use the current car and win the next 2 Le Mans and focus on reliability. A non hybrid P1 car would need at minimum 800hp to get close to the TS050 and would use too much fuel doing it.

IDK how that ultimatum by the FIA will go over with the Toyota board of directors though after all the have done to support the series.
How would Gerard Neveu stop Toyota only entering Le Mans? Apart from he can't for example. Le Mans invites half the grid. If he's saying they have to enter the WEC to gain entry to Le Mans that means Le Mans can't invite anyone at all. If they can then they can invite Toyota. Silliness from the headless chickens again.

I suspect Bahrain will be the undecided round in January.

How would Gerard Neveu stop Toyota only entering Le Mans? Apart from he can't for example. Le Mans invites half the grid. If he's saying they have to enter the WEC to gain entry to Le Mans that means Le Mans can't invite anyone at all. If they can then they can invite Toyota. Silliness from the headless chickens again.
I would assume there is language in their contract otherwise he would not make that statement.

I suspect Bahrain will be the undecided round in January.
February.

The ELMS calendar will be announced at Spa but the season opener is confirmed for the week after the WEC prologue at Paul Ricard and they will return to Silverstone

ORRRRRRRRRRRRR, Toyota commits to running the "full season," runs Spa, LM and Fuji, and then just doesn't show up for the rest of the season. FIA still gets their money, they've still got their win. They wouldn't DARE pull a win in the LM24 for that.

ORRRRRRRRRRRRR, Toyota commits to running the "full season," runs Spa, LM and Fuji, and then just doesn't show up for the rest of the season. FIA still gets their money, they've still got their win. They wouldn't DARE pull a win in the LM24 for that.
Well they wont pay their drivers to sit around for 4 months doing nothing and then quit.

I just cross referenced the 2018 WEC schedule with IMSA's and the FIA managed to stick the opening round at Spa on the Mid-Ohio weekend and the Fuji round in October on the Petit Le Mans weekend.:rolleyes:

better version of the calendar.

DIrWc5mXoAArkQk.jpg

And yet they expect IMSA to cooperate at Sebring. :rolleyes:

It will be interesting to see how the WEC Sebring race affects IMSA's "Florida 36" promotion. I can easily see it going either way personally.

I'll excuse them for Lime Rock as it's impossible to avoid every conflict and there isn't much crossover for non NAEC races. I can see teams being annoyed that they still conflict with PLM though considering it's a NAEC race so there's usually a few drivers that do both.

Question, Why now they can race at Sebring? I thought only FIA Level 1 race tracks were suitable for WEC.

I don't know that the Grade 1 thing was ever a requirement and not just a preference.

Qualifying for Mexico starts in a few minutes. Porsche looks to have .5 sec on the Toyota and it looks like anybody can grab the pole in GTE-Pro. 4 cars are within .2 in LMP2 and GTE-Am looks like a Porsche 1-2.

Also, should be noted that next seasons "super season" won't do double points for Le Mans, instead giving out normal points.

Normally I would be against it as I personally feel big events like Le Mans should have more value than others however, for this season I can understand since there'll be 2 and it would be possible to win on both Le Mans alone + doing somewhat decent on the other races if it was double points.

However it does negate the purpose of this making Le Mans the main event if the championship is secured before the final race.

Back