2017 Honda Ridgeline

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 66 comments
I wouldn't buy one, but I don't hate it.

Maybe I've put too much stock in Honda after that Civic drive, but, I really like this and the new Pilot. The styling is interesting, the powertrains are pretty straightforward, and it turns out that (well, at least the Pilot) is pretty capable off-road. I'd imagine that, on the used market, this Ridgeline would be a great choice with a good set of aftermarket tires. If you don't have to tow/haul more than a small boat or some jet-skis, its more than enough for most folks.

...Whether or not I'd 100% buy it over, say, a diesel Colorado... Well, that'd depend on how much of a price/performance difference there'd be.

I like it. I honestly have never hated the Ridgeline, and I don't dislike this one either. I do like the old Ridgeline design despite it being the slightest bit oddball compared to other trucks in its time. In fact, I'd say the older Ridgeline was about as oddball a machine as the old Subaru Baja of the previous decade. This new Ridgeline is so car-like in its design despite being a proper pickup truck. Heck, if you shown me the interior alone, I almost thought this was another car rather than some mean pickup truck. I would almost say this is more like a big ute than a proper pickup truck. Almost like an HSV Maloo more than even something like the Chevrolet Colorado or the Toyota Tundra. I do agree this should be styled more like the Pilot, and especially the boxy previous Pilot.

But once again... I like this newer Ridgeline.

Towing is supposed to be equal to or a little more than the Gen 1 Ridgeline, at least 5000 lbs maybe 5500. Box payload is 1600 pounds which is competitive for a mid sized truck. Interior and dash is pretty much the same as the Pilot but I don't care for that instrument cluster. Has no analog speedo from what I can see...would be nice if it had a 270 degree sweep tach and speedo. I don't love it but it will probably grow on me like the first gen did.

The pics make it look smaller than it is for some reason.

I just noticed that the new Ridgeline has in bed trunk ....

2017-Honda-Ridgeline-13.jpg

It's nice to have the space to store stuff and lock it up.

But now that it wants to be a real truck. You are hauling stuff in the bed and that stuff is big & heav, how can you get the spare tire out without unloading the stuff?

My first thought was: In-bed cooler

You can do it with the Dodges, if memory serves correct. This one has a drain in the bottom, too. Fill that thing with ice, load with appropriate beer... All that with speakers in the bed and your tag-along grille, well, baby you got a tailgate going.

I just noticed that the new Ridgeline has in bed trunk ....

2017-Honda-Ridgeline-13.jpg

It's nice to have the space to store stuff and lock it up.

But now that it wants to be a real truck. You are hauling stuff in the bed and that stuff is big & heav, how can you get the spare tire out without unloading the stuff?
Welcome to the year 2006.;)

Honda-Ridgeline_RTL-2006-1600-79.jpg

This is like the polar opposite of the first Ridgeline.👍

I'm probably going to be looking at trucks late '16/early '17 so as long as this is reasonably priced it should be high on my list as long as it's not crap to drive.

You can do it with the Dodges, if memory serves correct.
Rams have the Rambox. They are better cause you can still get stuff out when you have things in the bed but lose some width space in the bed.

ram box.jpg

Welcome to the year 2006.;)

Honda-Ridgeline_RTL-2006-1600-79.jpg
I know that old one had the same thing....
But now that it wants to be a real truck.
Honda wants it to compete more with Colorado/Canyon/Tacoma/Frontier and make it more of a truck then a grocery getter.

Considering the minds at Honda created the mess that is the new Civic, this mess doesn't surprise me either.

Just what exactly is it that makes the north american car of the year such a mess, in your opinion?

I would never consider buying one of these, still too much of an Odyssey with an open cargo area.

Curious to see if it sells though.

Trying too hard to be a hatchback when it's not. The chrome uni-brow doesn't help either.

But you like a Sentra, so what does that say? That's hardly a knock on the Civic. They went for a functional shape. Just like Tesla, Chevy, Toyota, and everyone else with a good car.

Motor Trend: "Weird"
C/D: Now that it is more pedestrian, it is more promising
Jalopnik: Too much of a car to be a truck
TFLC: Not a truck, its a car

Nearly everyone praises the ride quality, refinement, and tech. Not everyone is sold on the limited capabilities, and some complain that it won't be taken seriously. Comment sections are a garbage pile of accusations that the truck is too effeminate. Honda has a lot to prove with this truck, and the press isn't exactly helping.

For $32k, it is a bit expensive when you go for the base model with AWD, but you do get a good bit of standard equipment that makes it a solid choice. I'd be really curious to drive it back-to-back with a GMC Canyon, just to compare refinement levels for day-to-day use.

Motor Trend: "Weird"
C/D: Now that it is more pedestrian, it is more promising
Jalopnik: Too much of a car to be a truck
TFLC: Not a truck, its a car

Nearly everyone praises the ride quality, refinement, and tech. Not everyone is sold on the limited capabilities, and some complain that it won't be taken seriously. Comment sections are a garbage pile of accusations that the truck is too effeminate. Honda has a lot to prove with this truck, and the press isn't exactly helping.

For $32k, it is a bit expensive when you go for the base model with AWD, but you do get a good bit of standard equipment that makes it a solid choice. I'd be really curious to drive it back-to-back with a GMC Canyon, just to compare refinement levels for day-to-day use.
So it's pretty much the same as with the original.

I honestly think the only thing missing from the Ridgeline is a factory bedcover like what the Avalanche had. If I could maybe have an alternate layout, like an extended cab, that'd be great, too. With the same capabilities and a little shorter length, it could be a reasonable successor to the Ranger... Albeit with the ability of actually being something you'd want to drive every day.

Truck reviewers are anti-snobs. Is there a word for that? "This milkshake is creamy and flavorful, but I'm afraid I only care for the finest cat **** and bulldog vomit blended into my smoothies."

I don't really trust car reviewers that much, especially when reviewers like Car and Driver rate most cars that aren't sports cars something below 3/5 stars.

I look at what of my co-workers and Superintendents use their trucks for and I would likely never exceed this vehicles limits if I used it in the same way. The locking trunk, versatile tail gate and good fuel efficiency are all plus's for me and erase the lower towing ratings. Not to mention it sounds like it would be easy to drive.

I dont go offroad and the most I would ever tow is a small trailer or jetski. I just need something to haul my tools in and occasionally some wood and bags of concrete. All of which this truck can do.

I do adore the newer Honda Ridgeline. Not to say I disliked the first one, though. I guess the Ridgeline is classified as a mid-size truck based on what I've read. I wonder if Honda would probably want to go full-size and take on their Japanese counterparts like the [built in Texas] Tundra or the Titan. I would like to see a Ridgeline in person.

I wonder if Honda would probably want to go full-size and take on their Japanese counterparts like the [built in Texas] Tundra or the Titan. I would like to see a Ridgeline in person.

I don't think Honda would ever want to touch the full size market. There just isn't enough money to make it worth it, I think. As much as Toyota and Nissan have dumped into their quarter ton, and in the case of Nissan, half ton trucks, the return can't be as huge as they'd like it to be. Honda is good at finding niche markets, and the Ridgeline seems to target a fairly underserved (and I'd say rational) market. Nothing more than you need, comfortable, quiet, good on gas. As much as I love the Colorado and Canyon, I honestly see the Ridgeline as a much better option to most of the people who are looking for a more capable vehicle.

Back