2017 IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar Championship - General Season Discussion ThreadSports Cars 

• Thread starter IforceV8
  • 2,450 comments
How many cars finish the race?

Who will win in each class?

How many incidents will be caused by PCs?

Finally get to see the new Riley/MM standard bodywork at the next test if it's not revealed by then

Pretty much will be waiting on Lanky Turtle or fanofthe12hours to post videos from it (as well as RACER's youtube channel, which has some of the best onboards on youtube).

Reading through that article, every time I read Bruno Spengler this image pops into my mind.

I don't know why..?? It doesn't happen with the other DTM drivers.
new+faces+award+2009+Film+uqGLcynCeQzm.jpg

It's going to be interesting seeing how close in performance the gibson cars are to the DPi's. I cant see too many manufacturers getting excited about committing if they're frequently coming in behind the generic protos, let alone another dominant manufacturer or two.

Might explain Nissan's tentative arrangement.

It's going to be interesting seeing how close in performance the gibson cars are to the DPi's. I cant see too many manufacturers getting excited about committing if they're frequently coming in behind the generic protos, let alone another dominant manufacturer or two.

The manufacturer teams should still dominate considering they will have all-pro lineups while pretty much every WEC-spec car will be pro-am. Of the WEC-spec teams, Rebellion is the only one I feel has a good chance of giving the factory teams a fight when they race at least.

The manufacturer teams should still dominate considering they will have all-pro lineups while pretty much every WEC-spec car will be pro-am. Of the WEC-spec teams, Rebellion is the only one I feel has a good chance of giving the factory teams a fight when they race at least.
Especially since of all the Pro-Am teams, they competed on the highest of the high levels. Think it should (thankfully) be a fair fight for the most part driver line ups aside. All have roughly the same power, roughly the same weight, and a brand new LMP2 specific tire.

IMG_4110.JPG

CzbD2MzWEAEndka.jpg

IMG_4107.JPG

CzbD2NdW8AErEFB.jpg

Other than the tub it is a completely different car and aero concept.

The program wasnt approved until September, they are scrambling to catch up.

Last edited:
I was referring to the fact that they've only committed a year to the program to see where it goes.
The Florida-based team, which told RACER last week it was evaluating its options for next year, will renew its current partnerships with Ligier and Oak Racing, and has signed a multi-year partnership with Nissan. ESM plans to enter two new Daytona Prototype international (DPi) cars, running the ACO/FIA homologated LMP2 Protoype Ligier chassis.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/134562-imsa-tequila-patron-esm-announces-2017-return

The Florida-based team, which told RACER last week it was evaluating its options for next year, will renew its current partnerships with Ligier and Oak Racing, and has signed a multi-year partnership with Nissan. ESM plans to enter two new Daytona Prototype international (DPi) cars, running the ACO/FIA homologated LMP2 Protoype Ligier chassis.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/134562-imsa-tequila-patron-esm-announces-2017-return

Both of those articles are from September, not last week?

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/136408-imsa-development-accelerating-for-nissan-dpi

This is what I was referencing, and I was incorrect in stating it was only for a year.

Where Cadillac and Mazda are expected to announce multi-year DPi projects in the WeatherTech SportsCar Championship, Nissan appears to have a wait-and-see approach regarding long-term commitments to the class based on the marketing returns IMSA can offer.

"Our position at this point is to try and enter," Carcamo said. "The first step was to try and enter a great series with great events and a great team. That was the genesis of getting the program going. What happens in the future depends on the results and how the series itself grows. We're not ready to make any commitments about the long-term future, but we hope there's a lot of opportunities are there and the growth is reflected in the media and the value."

Their situation may have changed given their late development.

Back