2017 IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar Championship - General Season Discussion ThreadSports Cars 

• Thread starter IforceV8
  • 2,450 comments
PC was a good idea... for another series seperate from the main event. Sure it’s way cheaper (?) than getting a GT3 car but that only attracts the daddy drivers who absolutely have no place in a strictly professional or even a budding place for amateurs looking for serious competition. The entrants this year were basically an “f u” to the rest of the field running for something worthwhile while Drissi was just allowed to be a dumbass.

Probably being overdramatic but good ****ing riddance to the PC class

Yep...I agree, good riddance. A cool idea on paper at some point maybe, but always a source of incidents and most frustratingly in the later years they were too awkwardly matched at tracks with GTD or GTLM cars --- even watching PLM this year, the GTLM cars would get hung up in a chain of 6-7 cars behind one PC car because it was like 2% slower than them --- but just enough to keep them from passing.

With the expansion of the IMSA series as well...those pit boxes are becoming increasingly prime real estate, so I'm more than happy to see them gone. Also saves me skipping 20 minutes of qualifying to avoid watching 2-3 cars putz around the track.

The only down side is that I hope the decent drivers can find seats (I don't even know who drove PC this year, but if any are young talented guys, I hope they can find a new place to put their butt).

Yep...I agree, good riddance. A cool idea on paper at some point maybe, but always a source of incidents and most frustratingly in the later years they were too awkwardly matched at tracks with GTD or GTLM cars --- even watching PLM this year, the GTLM cars would get hung up in a chain of 6-7 cars behind one PC car because it was like 2% slower than them --- but just enough to keep them from passing.

With the expansion of the IMSA series as well...those pit boxes are becoming increasingly prime real estate, so I'm more than happy to see them gone. Also saves me skipping 20 minutes of qualifying to avoid watching 2-3 cars putz around the track.

The only down side is that I hope the decent drivers can find seats (I don't even know who drove PC this year, but if any are young talented guys, I hope they can find a new place to put their butt).

It was revealed at the end of the PLM broadcast that both PC teams would move up to LMP2 chassis. I don't believe any car numbers were mentioned but I'm pretty sure it'll be 1 each considering the cost increase.

I would love to be a fly on the wall at the first family dinner with the Wayne and his boys when the Penske option became a thing. I think it's a great move, regardless, but I wonder where the momentum came from --- and what the discussions were like. I think it's awesome to let the brothers race each other, and I do think it's plenty healthy for the boys to be on a non-familial team (i.e. Jordan running vettes at LeMans etc.) for their professional development.

I trust the Taylors to not make it an issue racing each other (until the first time one of them wrecks the other...!) :D

Whuh...surely related somehow? When I saw the link title I just assumed some kind of awful cancer or something which the family didn't wish to expose. RIP.

That's what I thought, and it played an even more sad down turn to why the team was closing shop. Very sad especially for such a likable owner and team, wish the best for his family.

Yeah, that's definitely why Stevenson Motorsport closed up shop, but it makes you wonder, couldn't they have directed control to relatives or family and not shutter the team?

I mean at the end of the day it's their prerogative and choice, but still, it seems weird.

I must be crazy because for some reason I thought VFR started this season in a Cadillac, but I think I was just mind-melding the Corvette into a Cadillac for some reason.

Paul Di Resta will be in one of the United Autosport cars at Daytona (they are apparently running 2, not sure when they announced that).

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/di-resta-joins-united-autosports-for-rolex-24/

And DC Racing may stick around for more than just Daytona (although I doubt it).

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/dc-racing-lmp1-program-unlikely-for-2018/

It's nice to see Daytona becoming relevant on the international stage again. Hopefully they can do the same with Sebring.

I can't recall a time when there was this many rumors surrounding new/returning IMSA teams and drivers.

Magnus is possibly returning.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/magnus-poised-for-imsa-return-in-2018/

And CRP may jump from PWC to IMSA and upgrade to LMP2. Granted I doubt that they would be ready in time for Daytona, but a late season entry is possible.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/crp-considering-switch-to-lmp2/

Unfortunately, nothing so far concerning Nielsen and Balzan. It would suck if they don't find a ride.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/145227-alonso-to-contest-rolex-24-with-united-autosports

Prototypes for Daytona looking quite stacked and it's still October.

It's crazy to think that the number of cars with the potential to win could be in the double digits. :eek:

Cadillac - 3 cars
ESM - 2 cars
Penske - 2 cars
United - 2 cars
Rebellion - 1 car (not sure if they have announced their plans)

Plus Visit Florida and Mazda are easy dark horses.

Daytona is going to be a 24 hour slug fest in each category.

Question: When do the 911 RSRs go up for privateer teams? Been waiting to see what a smaller team can do in terms of liveries, and I'm ready to see something other than the factory Porsche liveries.

Question: When do the 911 RSRs go up for privateer teams? Been waiting to see what a smaller team can do in terms of liveries, and I'm ready to see something other than the factory Porsche liveries.
Next year, but only 6 were built, and Proton bought 4...the other 2 aren't IMSA teams (probably ELMS or AsLMS) unfortunately. :indiff:

Refresher - http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/porsche-sells-out-customer-mid-engined-911-rsrs/

More should be available for 2019 though. Unfortunately though I don't think an American team would buy one, simply because the fact its more than half if not 2/3 more than the price of the GT3 car (1.8 million vs 600,000), and GTD isn't a bad class to be in.

Last edited:
Next year, but only 6 were built, and Proton bought 4...the other 2 aren't IMSA teams (probably ELMS or AsLMS) unfortunately. :indiff:

Refresher - http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/porsche-sells-out-customer-mid-engined-911-rsrs/

More should be available for 2019 though. Unfortunately though I don't think an American team would buy one, simply because the fact its more than half if not 2/3 more than the price of the GT3 car (1.8 million vs 600,000), and GTD isn't a bad class to be in.

I was watching the WEC race at Fuji earlier this month and they were discussing this very topic during one of those long rain delays but I can't seem to remember exactly what was said. I'm assuming it will be available for GTE AM and I want to say that they thought Dempsey might be getting one but don't quote me on that.

I was watching the WEC race at Fuji earlier this month and they were discussing this very topic during one of those long rain delays but I can't seem to remember exactly what was said. I'm assuming it will be available for GTE AM and I want to say that they thought Dempsey might be getting one but don't quote me on that.
2 of the cars they've bought are for those teams, the #77 and #88. The other two that they've purchased are for the ELMS.

Would be nice to see a new Porsche factory livery this year - I appreciate the idea behind the 2017 car (from overhead it was the shape of the Porsche shield...) but in practice it was incredibly boring/underwhelming.

Back