2017 IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar Championship - General Season Discussion ThreadSports Cars 

• Thread starter IforceV8
  • 2,450 comments
SC365's write up of day 1 of testing.

Interesting but not shocking to see that both the factory teams had issues today. It's also interesting that the global LMP2 outran the Mazda DPi in the first day.
My prediction now is that one of the non-factory DPi's will win, most likely the #90. They're the most bullet proof cars going into Daytona. New cars, but the Gibson V8 is a veteran. The same could be said for the engine in the Cadillac though.

My prediction now is that one of the non-factory DPi's will win, most likely the #90. They're the most bullet proof cars going into Daytona. New cars, but the Gibson V8 is a veteran. The same could be said for the engine in the Cadillac though.
My assumption is that they'll figure it out and realistically a DPi will win. But if all the LMP2 based machines have issues, a GTLM could potentially win the race since those for the most part are the most sorted cars in the field. I'm also going to assume that the few PCs remaining are probably going to be well down the order due to the fact that, well, PC.

Could've sworn the engine in the Cadillac is basically the LT out of the CTS V and Escalade (which was different from the LS in the Corvette DP)

Could've sworn the engine in the Cadillac is basically the LT out of the CTS V and Escalade (which was different from the LS in the Corvette DP)
Really? Hmm, in that case I'm unsure then. I thought they'd taken the C7.R's engine.

It is but the architecture isn't that different it's in reality a fifth gen LS family engine, so realistically they should know how it works and what to expect for this type of racing. The only really big differences is oil navigation through the engine, direct injection and such. However, the other factory effort that so happens to run the LS5.R, has used Direct injection for some time, and just like they helped fix any gremlins in the production side it could be said it is probably going to help Cadi as well.

Yep. 6.2 Litre LT4 from the CTS-V. No Corvette in there.

The 6.2 is essentially the same in both cars.

I forget the Taylors weren't racing yet when Jeff raced at the Daytona 24.

The fin is part of the wing on the Riley and it has separate engine covers. I also noticed that there is a inspection panel on the front that allows for access to the shocks w/o having to take the nose section off.

2016IMSADISTest_MarshallPruett_1213__473a-12330-640-360-80-c.jpg

Dagys_2016_285.jpg

Lots of innovation in the Riley mk.XXX

Hopefully IMSA decides to show this on IMSA TV next year. It would be nice to see some cars go around track at this part of the year instead of reading the times later- even if it is only testing and isn't the Roar.

Yeah it'd be cool to watch it with actual coverage.

I saw that IMSA had posted a little bit via Facebook live earlier. It was only showing the pits and the front straight, but it's better than what they could have shown which is nothing. I hope they go live again soon, though.

Not really a surprise considering Continental has actually made a P2 Specific tire as well as the cars getting a 150 HP boost. Hell, PR1 was already hitting lap times just shy of the 2016 fastest lap without even pushing.

Latest Posts

Back