2017 IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar Championship - General Season Discussion ThreadSports Cars 

• Thread starter IforceV8
  • 2,450 comments
"Former Lexus Grand-Am Daytona Prototype partner Chip Ganassi Racing is among the teams that are said to be of interest to TRD if the DPi effort goes forward."

Seeing as I don't see Ford wanting to go DPi, there's the small chance that we might have the old OP combo of Ganassi+Pruett+Lexus.

Any excuse to hear this around Daytona again:

EW what the hell is that only a face a @cnd01 could love

"Former Lexus Grand-Am Daytona Prototype partner Chip Ganassi Racing is among the teams that are said to be of interest to TRD if the DPi effort goes forward."

Seeing as I don't see Ford wanting to go DPi, there's the small chance that we might have the old OP combo of Ganassi+Pruett+Lexus.

I know that Ford has said the GT GTLM/GTE program is guaranteed through 2019 but if that is ended, would Ford possibly move over to DPi? Or if Ford totally left IMSA that could free up Gnassi to do a possible Lexus DPi.

I know that Ford has said the GT GTLM/GTE program is guaranteed through 2019 but if that is ended, would Ford possibly move over to DPi? Or if Ford totally left IMSA that could free up Gnassi to do a possible Lexus DPi.

That's currently the mystery everyone's trying to figure. What does the end of 2019 mean? The PR campaign was a success, they got their story book win on the anniversary as intended (and even managed to throw in a Rolex 24 win the next year to boot). Apart from a win at Sebring, what else is there for them to do?

That's currently the mystery everyone's trying to figure. What does the end of 2019 mean? The PR campaign was a success, they got their story book win on the anniversary as intended (and even managed to throw in a Rolex 24 win the next year to boot). Apart from a win at Sebring, what else is there for them to do?
Pull a Chrysler and leave after winning the championship.

Pull a Chrysler and leave after winning the championship.

Isn't that what Ford always does anyways. When they supported WRC full time they were able to win or fight for wins and left, they left VASC after winning the manufacture championship. And I'm sure there are a couple others I'm forgetting. Only competition I could see them not leaving and giving support winning or losing for all of time is NASCAR. Them leaving WeatherTech and WEC wouldn't surprise me either after having success. Ford of modern seem to be fly by night where they support stuff, win to varying degree, and leave.

So while for any other manufacture DPi seems like a logical next step, when talking about a certain few with Ford being one of them, it's not. Chrysler left cause they didn't have the money to really keep doing that kind of racing, same reason they left NASCAR.

Ganassi/Lexus would be a combination of two of my least favourite things; Ganassi...and Lexus. But, the more the merrier. I don't see Ford putting out a GT3 anytime soon (could they actually make a GT3 mustang at some point? Seems odd to miss out on the GT3 program, but I think forcing a Mustang into the formula would be awfully tough).

The GT4 Mustang program seems to be doing okay. I don't really often see Ford as that interested in lengthy serious long-term racing projects.

Personally I'd love to Ford expand more with the GT, i.e. developing it for a GT3 program instead of the Mustang, as it'd open things up. But realistically, as awesome as it'd be, it isn't going to happen.

As for Lexus/Toyota developing a potential DPi program? Very much yes. As for the potential that it could be a Ganassi led program? Well that's less favourable, as Ganassi is certainly not my favourite team/guy, but... Given how well the GT's program has gone and the generally success it's brought, and the program's approach, then a Ganassi led Lexus DPi program could thrive nicely. As could a Ford-Ganassi DPi program too (which I hope happens).

Ganassi/Lexus would be a combination of two of my least favourite things; Ganassi...and Lexus.

Ganassi I understand (That face just screams class, doesn't it), but Lexus? Kinda don't get it.

One thing I am glad about though is they aren't looking at Rocketsports/RSR Racing/F Performance Racing/3GT Racing and whatever the hell else Paul Gentilozzi decides to call his team.

Lexus is simply one of the most milquetoast of manufacturers - with ugly cars to boot. They've never inspired me or appealed to me in 20+ years of following cars and motorsports.
???

0A2AEE4F-D49B-4578-932F-84EC180DF550.jpeg

Lexus is simply one of the most milquetoast of manufacturers - with ugly cars to boot. They've never inspired me or appealed to me in 20+ years of following cars and motorsports.

Maybe the road cars, but you can't deny that Lexus together with Toyota helped Lotterer further jumpstart his career to where it is now. So to call their involvement in motorsport uninspiring is kinda eh.

Ganassi I understand (That face just screams class, doesn't it), but Lexus? Kinda don't get it.

One thing I am glad about though is they aren't looking at Rocketsports/RSR Racing/F Performance Racing/3GT Racing and whatever the hell else Paul Gentilozzi decides to call his team.

I work for Lexus and when I heard we were going IMSA racing it was :D. But when I heard it was Gentilozzi it turned into :(.

I work for Lexus and when I heard we were going IMSA racing it was :D. But when I heard it was Gentilozzi it turned into :(.

Yeah. Seemed like Lexus weren't as aware as many fans were. The fact they aren't considering them for DPi tells me they've since wised up. Ganassi isn't the best person around, but he's also got far less shady things going (and doesn't have a business that suspiciously changes names multiple times) AND he's familiar to them.

I would rather have that than “Skyactive” covering every inch of the car. :yuck:

Even that was still better than the most renown* livery to appear on a Mazda prototype.

*see what I did there? Le Mans winner or not, that thing was ugly with a capital U.

Even that was still better than the most renown* livery to appear on a Mazda prototype.

*see what I did there? Le Mans winner or not, that thing was ugly with a capital U.

I take it you aren't a fan of argyle sweaters then either. :P

I’ve always preferred the white and blue scheme.

but, muh banned Rotaries.

Its not helped when that's literally all anyone wants to paint their racing Mazdas (Fictional or not). Like, does no one remember the paint jobs on the old RX-7s? Not even the Silver and blue on the GTP cars?

Back