2017 IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar Championship - General Season Discussion ThreadSports Cars 

• Thread starter IforceV8
  • 2,450 comments
3GT team owner Paul Gentilozzi reportedly has settled the lawsuit with Ryan Hunter-Reay. Link here.

*Changes team name to PGR, gets sued by both Ryan Hunter-Rhey and Microsoft*

Also, love the ironic use of this picture in the article:

RHR_finger_point_mp.jpg

Just perfect :lol:

One of the reps from Bentley was talking to RLM during the Nurb 24 and said they currently shelved their DPi plans. However, They said they would consider GTD if the budget allowed. So that's both one less potential marque for DPi at this time and one potential GTD brand in the future.

One of the reps from Bentley was talking to RLM during the Nurb 24 and said they currently shelved their DPi plans. However, They said they would consider GTD if the budget allowed. So that's both one less potential marque for DPi at this time and one potential GTD brand in the future.
Doesn't surprise me simply because the VWAG budget at the moment (especially if they've dropped their top class shtick and are actually pondering GT). Hopefully whatever team that potentially chooses them, should they join the class, runs their cars in green. :D

Will it be FAST?
No just...no. :lol: I still have PTSD from that thing. :lol:

It will become an IMSA requirement for all teams to put "EVEN MORE FASTERER" on their cars in giant block letters. :lol: :lol:

Also in white with randomly colored circles in even more randomer places on the car for no apparent reason whatsoever. :P

I saw this article and had to share it. People are protesting the Belle Isle Grand Prix. I don't think it'll impact the BIGP, but it could potentially have an impact on future events at the circuit depending on how future this and future protests fare.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/2017/05/27/detroit-grand-prix-belle-isle/351495001/

Cliff notes for those that don't want to read the article below.

Protests are happening for the reasons listed below:

• People believe the track set-up and tear down takes too long (7 week set-up and 2 week tear down).
  • People are upset that part of the island isn't accessible due to the race.
  • People are concerned about the environment.
  • Some of the protests are due to the race being on Belle Island rather than protesting the race itself.

My opinions will be listed below in the spoiler for the sake of keeping the post length shorter (long opinion responses in spoiler). One point I will mention both here and in the spoiler is that Belle Isle was well regarded to Michigan residents for being a dump for many years until very recently.

I can see the point of the set up taking too long as tear down only takes 2 weeks. The article says that they're trying to reduce set up times, and with some major investors involved, I can see it happening.

Having looked at Facebook, many people who live in the area have been able to actually drive right up to the circuit itself. Nothing in the island that normally is operational is shut down. So access isn't really restricted to begin with if some can get up to the track at this time.

Many of the environmental concerns are extremely ironic because the race area itself at dirtiest is cleaner than most parts of the island have been at cleanest up till recent. As I mentioned, the island used to be treated like a dump. Many parts of the island were so littered that just walking could be treated as playing a game of Minesweeper. In fact, the poor treatment by locals and visitors lead to access being banned at some points. Also, having attended race events, many spectators actually care about taking care of the facility, and I've seen several race events being cleaner than other events held at the same track.

Locating the race near the I-94 corridor is a bad idea since 94 is always busy, and with Romulus being where DTW airport is (the place is always busy with traffic because of that), traffic could potentially be exponentially worse than it already is. Also, the Detroit City Airport may not be viable as an alternative either because the airport itself is in limbo. Mayor Duggan and the city are looking at methods to either expand air service or shut down the airport entirely (city considered selling the airport during the bankruptcy). While the FAA won't let them do so at the moment, they could do so if they sold the land to another party. A lot of speculation says that most of the land will go towards building new factories if land is sold, and if such happens, the site won't work at all. Also worth noting that the US Customs operates out of the airport which will increase difficulty in doing anything with the land unless they relocate to another airport.

Annnnd, where were these complaints years ago. The length of time I'll give them that as its not exactly Le Mans in terms of size so that is abit questionable. Everything else though, excuses with little to no backup to any of them. The most hilarious IS the "the enviroment' excuse. What is this, 2006? :lol:

Last edited:
Environmental excuse will come up always, it seems many of those especially the fringe types would rather yell and protest than actually educate themselves on the matter when it comes to racing. So I wasn't surprised when I saw protests, I was just waiting to see that tid bit before I said to myself "knew it"

How is that BS? The Cadillac is clearly superior, has been all year. AXR needs to get more out what they have and do a better job.
Adding to this, if one team is consistently killing the competition, them it is possible for anyone running a Cadillac to do the same.

The BS is the continued BoP of a car only 1 team is having success with. AXR will not even finish in the Top 5 now and WTR will still be winning.
Would you rather WTR only got BoP and AXR later dominates because of team specific BoP when the car could be capable of dominating in the hands of any team that fields it? Or BoP Rebellion when they come over for NAEC races just for having the strongest Oreca? It's either BoP everyone with the car or BoP nobody with it. Team specific BoP with a car in an endurance series is a terrible idea.

The BS is the continued BoP of a car only 1 team is having success with. AXR will not even finish in the Top 5 now and WTR will still be winning.

AXR have the potential to win, it's just that late in the race (at least for Sebring) they start fading. If they worked that out, then they could be a thorn in WTR's side.

Not specifically related to IMSA, but the man whose career was nearly jeopardized by the horrific accident at the very first WSCC Rolex 24 in 2014 has returned to the wheel of the "Red Dragon"...and its small distant cousin. :lol: But it's good to see Gidley back in a car, hopefully he returns to competition soon. :)

At least it sounds good...I was expecting something a lot different though. I know that stuff is mostly body-cladding, but this won't be a mid-engine sports car? Rather a front-engine GT-er? Curious choice for a LeMans attack.

Back