2017 Jeep Wrangler

• Thread starter MoparMan69
  • 114 comments

MoparMan69

(Banned)
United States
Texas
Ask
Well sense about every ten years jeep does a refresh to its legendary jeep wrangler, soon in 2017 we should see a new body style. Now sense the government here in a america is wanting everything to get a million miles to the gallon jeep will have to improve its wrangler with better fuel mileage, rumor is that they will be switching to IFS and all aluminum body. Comfirmed is that new jeep will have a fixed roof which means you cannot flip it down like you can now also an 8 Speed ZF transmission should come too.

What do you think? Should they keepp the wrangler how it is or change it?

For the look, I'm certain it's going to look like the Renegade, But in different dimensions and a multi piece removable top.
Other than that I have no clue how will they step up their game.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/38217283373CD25BCA257C92007BB5BB
THE next-generation Jeep Wrangler will be lighter, more fuel efficient, and even more capable off-road – but look the same and sit on an old-fashioned, rugged body-on-frame platform.

“You don't mess with Wrangler,” Jeep's head of design Mark Allen told Australian journalists at the Geneva motor show where he was attending the global reveal of the new Renegade small SUV.

“We will fix some things on it, make it better, but it will look the same,” he said.

Global Jeep CEO Mike Manley also told Australian journalists that the design formula for Jeep's most rugged and traditional Jeep would not be tampered with, and that included the truck-style underpinnings.

But he said the Wrangler had to be made more fuel efficient, with use of high-strength steels and other lighter materials to cut weight.

He said Wrangler was unlikely to be fashioned from large amounts of aluminium, saying aluminium did not lend itself to a vehicle that needed to be sufficiently strong for the toughest territory.

Mr Manley said some gains could be made in aerodynamics and powertrain, but most of the fuel-efficiency efforts would concentrate on trimming mass.

He said Jeep designers and product planners were working on solving the weight issues of the next Wrangler “as we speak”.

The new model is due in 2017-18, completing the current cycle of rejuvenation that includes the new Cherokee that is due in Australian showrooms about June.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/jeep-c...dy-on-frame-grand-wagoneer-on-track-for-2018/
There’s been no shortage of speculation about future Jeep products, most of it revolving around the next-generation Wrangler. Nearly every component, from the wheels to the windshield and from the engine to the axles has been fodder for the rumor mill. Today at the New York auto show, Jeep boss Mike Manley confirmedwhat we thought all along: The next-generation Wrangler will maintain its ladder-frame construction. When questioned if an aluminum body would fit into the equation, Manley replied, “it can be done,” but he wouldn’t further elaborate.

Where the next Wrangler—set to debut for the 2017 model year—will be built is still a question without an answer. The current school of thought is that if the Wrangler body goes aluminum, the brand will need to move production from its longtime home in Toledo, Ohio, to a facility optimized for working with the alloy. Meanwhile, the city of Toledo is doing everything in its power, including prepping a large parcel of land located directly adjacent to the current Wrangler facility, to make sure production doesn’t stray from the T-Town borders. (Toledo also assembles the current Jeep Cherokee.)

Jeep to make 50% more Wranglers and keep the current Wrangler in production for 6 months after the new one begins production
Automobile News
Fiat Chrysler's plan to reconfigure its Toledo, Ohio, assembly complex next year to build the next-generation Jeep Wrangler will boost production of the popular SUV well beyond its current level, according to internal planning documents seen by Automotive News.

The new assembly plant for the Wrangler -- the Toledo factory that currently builds the Jeep Cherokee -- will be outfitted to produce about 350,000 Wranglers annually. That is roughly 50 percent more Wranglers than can now be produced.

And the company plans to continue making the current Wrangler into the first quarter of 2018, about six months after production of the new one is set to begin.

Together, the old and new Wrangler assembly lines will crank out Wranglers at the fastest pace in the off-roader's 75-year history.

The current Wrangler -- likely to be marketed as the Wrangler Classic -- is scheduled to remain in production through March 2018.

A Wrangler-based pickup and a diesel-powered Wrangler, both expected to debut in 2018, are possible because of the extra production volume being added.
Automobile News

Spy pics of the new Wrangler

1-2018-Jeep-Wrangler-Prototype-5-3-16.jpg

2-2018-Jeep-Wrangler-Prototype-5-3-16.jpg

4-2018-Jeep-Wrangler-Prototype-5-3-16.jpg

I mean, there's only so much you can rethink with a design like the Wrangler. I'm willing to bet that the lines get cleaned up a bit in favor of some aero, but not enough to change the overall look of the vehicle. If anything, it'll be powertrain updates and chassis adjustments that get almost all the attention, and presumably some kind of realignment of trim packages to put it in line with the rest of the brand. As much as I'd hope they'd style it to look a bit more like the YJ, that takes it too far from the Renegade, style wise. Here's hoping for that Scrambler follow-up!

Wew, lad... A 300 BHP, Fiat-designed, turbo four? I mean, Jeeps aren't exactly the pinnacle of reliability to begin with, that certainly won't help...

I was under the impression that Fiat made pretty damn reliable engines, it was everything else on the cars that failed. Jeep should just bring back the 4.0 Inline 6 and call it a day. :lol:

If Jeep is worried about fuel economy, the simple solution would be to just give us the damn diesel that Europe gets.

If Jeep is worried about fuel economy, the simple solution would be to just give us the damn diesel that Europe gets.

Haven't people turned away from Diesel cars in the US since the VW emissions scandal?

In a sense, yes.

In that case, a downsized petrol engine is a more sensible option compared to providing a diesel for improving fuel economy. Although transferring an existing configuration is easier, it would put the number of sales at risk.

Anyone who does off roading or back country overlanding with a Wrangler will hate that engine. The last thing you need on something like the Rubicon trail, is an overly complicated engine with additional moving parts and questionable reliability. I'm all for turbocharged 4's in most vehicles, but in something like the Wrangler, which is only good in an off road setting, it doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

I like the diesel engine idea though, solid torque, good fuel economy, and probably fairly good reliability.

So you dislike the idea of a complicated petrol turbo, but like the idea of the similarly complex diesel?

Give it two years. Remember how the Dart was supposed to be all that engine all the time? Now I'm not even sure if you can actually order one with that engine, even though it's ostensibly available.

It will end up with the V6 back in it before too long.

VXR
So you dislike the idea of a complicated petrol turbo, but like the idea of the similarly complex diesel?
The diesel they will almost certainly use is already used in the versions of the current Wrangler sold to foreign militaries, and is undergoing trials to be used by the US military.

Last edited:
VXR

Turbo diesels are more or less proven to be reliable off road whereas petrol powered turbo's aren't. Ideally for an off road vehicle you'd like to to avoid forced induction but that's a little hard with a diesel.

Give it two years. Remember how the Dart was supposed to be all that engine all the time? Now I'm not even sure if you can actually order one with that engine, even though it's ostensibly available.

You're thinking of the 1.4T, which if I recall correctly, can only be made available on the Aero model with the dual-clutch. More or less, anyone with reliability concerns should stay far, far away.

You're thinking of the 1.4T, which if I recall correctly, can only be made available on the Aero model with the dual-clutch. More or less, anyone with reliability concerns should stay far, far away.

for 2016 its the 2.4 Across the board i think.. There is no Aero Model.

Back