2017 Jeep Wrangler

• Thread starter MoparMan69
  • 114 comments
Can you show us pictures?

Anyway, I think the Wrangler is due for a change.

Don't expect too much. This model is a huge cash cow (obviously, i'm sure you know) so there will be minor body style changes. It may be a little less boxy to help with aero but the generic shape will stay the same. A pickup would be an excellent addition to the line-up IMO. It's something many Jeep fans have clamored for ever since the Gladiator concept.

This seems like the perfect time to add the VM 3.0 EcoDiesel to the Wrangler lineup. I imagine a Jeep truck with a diesel would be pretty damn popular, especially if you could mate it to a manual transmission though I won't hold my breath for that.

I haven't looked at numbers but i'd imagine the sales of the Ram 1500 and Grand Cherokee fitted with the 3.0 Diesel aren't selling that well. I can't remember seeing a 1500 on the road with one. Besides the Jeep GC that I drive everyday with the Diesel I've only seen a handful of other GCs with the diesel. It's quite a premium that many Americans still aren't willing to pay for. $4,500 when they can have their Hemi for $1,295. You can't deny it's payload / towing capability for a SUV / Light Duty Truck this side of the big boy diesels. I have thoroughly enjoyed it and I think it'd be a great addition to the Wrangler. Whether or not the market will buy it is another story.

EDIT: I decided to go to Jeep's website to confirm the prices about the two engines. Either there's a mistake on the Build & Price or they don't offer the Hemi for this model year. :confused: The Pentastar V6 or the VM 3.0 Diesel are the only options across the trim range.

Last edited:
A owner ordered a hood for their 2014 Wrangler though a Detroit-area parts recycler and received a hood that appears to be for the next-generation Wrangler instead. :dunce:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Full story at the JL Wrangler Forums.

Not that bad looking, strange that a full modeled was rejected, wonder what the actual looks like, from that earlier image it doesn't seem so different.

It's not too bad, but I don't like the horizontal hood latches and how the hood crease bends down. Plus, from the front it sort of looks like a Chinese knockoff of a Wrangler.

It's not too bad, but I don't like the horizontal hood latches and how the hood crease bends down. Plus, from the front it sort of looks like a Chinese knockoff of a Wrangler.

I don't see how, it looks like it carries over traits from the last gen, while bringing in FCA stuff in general. It looks like a Jeep built by Jeep, logo helps that too.
rejected ? it looks fine and that leaked image earlier looks similar to this.

The only difference I see in the leaked image is that it has rectangular indicators integrated into the fenders other than that I don't see any other differences.

Why would you compare them...? They're not even in the same fighting territory.
I'm not very familiar with the Wrangler series as they don't really exist in these areas, but I think it belongs in the group of heavy-duty terrain vehicles (such as the Defender or G-class), hence the question.

I'm not very familiar with the Wrangler series as they don't really exist in these areas, but I think it belongs in the group of heavy-duty terrain vehicles (such as the Defender or G-class), hence the question.

No they don't. No one looking to buy a Defender or G-Class is using the Jeep Wrangler as a reference point. They're good terrain vehicles but even the wrangler isn't top of the heap in it's own brand in this regard.

No they don't. No one looking to buy a Defender or G-Class is using the Jeep Wrangler as a reference point. They're good terrain vehicles but even the wrangler isn't top of the heap in it's own brand in this regard.
Would you briefly explain why? I can hardly believe in this, but I may be missing something.

It's impossible to directly compare them for no other reason than they've never been offered in a directly comparable state. The closest the US gets to the G-Wagon in North America is the dubsta model, and the only Defender the US ever got came with the Rover V8 hand grenade for an engine.

Would you briefly explain why? I can hardly believe in this, but I may be missing something.

Well considering the entry level Jeep Wrangler enters at about 25k and the base model G Class is 120k... The goals are vastly different. Just cause they're both medium sized off road vehicles doesn't mean much. Also the Jeep isn't really that heavy duty, even the Wrangler Unlimited which is a bigger version of the Wrangler is still quite different from a G Class. Also the Cherokee or better yet Grand Cherokee is probably closer to the G Class and has just as good if not better off road capabilities as the Wrangler. The current platform/chassis even is the same as the M class from Merc, Merc actually used the Chrysler engineering.

Also the Defender was never brought here...which is why I am sticking to G Class

Edit: Tornado puts it quite well

I don't see how, it looks like it carries over traits from the last gen, while bringing in FCA stuff in general. It looks like a Jeep built by Jeep, logo helps that too.
I think it's a mix of the body looking narrow and the Renegade style grille.

I think it's a mix of the body looking narrow and the Renegade style grille.

I mean if anything looks like a Chinese made vehicle it is the Renegade. I can kind of see some of the Renegade traits due to the big use of plastics but other than that it looks exactly like what I'd expect a Jeep to be.

RE: Defender comparison, there are markets where the two are sold against each other... or were... since the 110 is out of production.

This is interesting:

I've driven the Defender way off road, but have only been light trailing in the Jeep Rubicon, but this video matches my perception... the Rubicon's incredible articulation (with the electronic sway-bar disconnect...) and differential lockers make it a more sophisticated off-road weapon... and if I really had to tackle a difficult trail, I'd take it over the Defender.

But the Defender is definitely the more rugged package... and the narrow width and better packaging make it a good bush vehicle... better for hacked out trails in the middle of nowhere... which is why it's a popular choice for Rainforest Challenges... and as the video says... you can carry more stuff in it... more spares... more fuel... etcetera. (of course, there are three-door Defenders... but even there, it feels like there's more cargo space than in a three-door Jeep... I've ridden in the back seat of one and it's quite spacious)

Beyond that, there's certainly an aesthetic difference... in the Jeep, you feel like you're driving a toy. A neat, whimsical off-road toy... with Jeep iconography hidden in weird areas like cupholders, the windshield surround, etcetera... You can even take it apart to turn into a beach buggy.

But the Defender feels like what it is: A piece of military hardware with all the history and heritage that goes with it. Lots of older off-roaders prefer the Defender because of this no-nonsense aura (similar ot the G-wagon).

Corny, but true.

Also the G-Wagon has door latches that sound like you are racking the pump on a shotgun, and the door locks sound like you are racking the slide on a 1911.

The Wrangler in comparison might as well be using the door sounds of a Caliber.

Back