2017 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,756 comments

Why people love Dale Jr.:
Third, take care of one member of that at-track family in particular.

"Everything they had planned for him, he'd call me and say, 'Well, they want me to do so-and-so, so I told them you are doing it, too,' " Matt Kenseth said. "And I was like, 'OK, bud, whatever you say.' "

Kenseth explained it on Friday night as he was standing alongside his own retro paint scheme, a black and gold livery that harked back to 2000, the same season as Earnhardt's throwback ride. Earnhardt had arranged for a photo shoot with their two teams. They came in together that season, competed for Rookie of the Year (Kenseth won that), just as they had competed for Xfinity (then Busch) Series titles the two seasons prior (Earnhardt won those). Back then, they shared magazine covers as the futures of the sport. On Sunday, they both rode out together, Earnhardt by choice, Kenseth's hand forced by business circumstances.

On Sunday morning, Earnhardt's car was placed in an area separate from the other cars in the race field. He insisted that Kenseth's car be there, too. When NASCAR said they wanted Earnhardt to run a pace lap by himself, away from the rest of the grid, he also tried to include Kenseth in that.

"We went through it all together," Earnhardt explained of Kenseth, who won more races (39 to 26) and earned the one goal that always eluded his more famous friend. He said it while hiding in plain sight, having ducked into the very crowd clamoring to find him, sporting a face-splitting grin as he watched his pal pose with his team for photographers.

"Matt's had a Hall of Fame career," Earnhardt said. "He deserved the right sendoff, too. His whole crew does."
http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/s...ale-earnhardt-jr-thought-everyone-else-sunday

Dale Jr basically insisted that Matt Kenseth get as much fanfare for his departure as possible. You have to wonder how much of it would have happened if Dale hadn't been the driving force behind it.

@MustangRyan It probably wouldn't have at all. Kenseth probably wouldn't have said anything about it either. Jr.'s always been a great human, something the world needs more of to be honest, so this doesn't surprise me...

...It does make me smile though. He could have had it all to himself, but still wanted to give Matt the recognition he rightfully deserves.

Could we really accept the news of Ray Black Jr running a full 2018 schedule in the #51 as the first story to the 2018 NASCAR discussion? Someone else start it please....LOL

Congrats to Martin Truex, too bad he was forced to arbitrarily beat 3 other guys in the final race to get his rightful championship that he'd worked on all season. Also too bad that and a whole lot of other reasons have meant I've been too alienated from the series to be there for my favorite driver* at this undoubtedly special moment. I hope it was worth it, making ESPN's dumber-than-dumb idea true for the sake of the New Fans™ who apparently either have an attention span of a goldfish, or NASCAR simply thinks they all do.

*Favorite driver since the MWR era. I ain't no gold digger. ;)

So for my final post in this thread, here is the last Radioactive of 2017.

Latest Posts

Back