2017 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,756 comments
Well, Dale Earnhardt Jr is going to win a championship this weekend, as long as all three don't crash.

H44ydXe.gif

Custer dominated the race. He was virtually untouchable. Also, Props to Byron. Hell of a drive to hold off Sadler at the end.

Also glad that the JRM guys actually raced it out. Probably made the boss man nervous, but it certainly gave the fans something to cheer about.

Preece should've known those two guys were fighting for a championship. I know it was for position, but I like to think other drivers are more respectful than that.

Preece should've known those two guys were fighting for a championship. I know it was for position, but I like to think other drivers are more respectful than that.
Preece was battling Byron for the owners championship though (Jr vs JGR).

Preece was battling Byron for the owners championship though (Jr vs JGR).

Is there intensive for a team to win the Owner's Championship? Like in F1 where it decides year - end winnings for the teams? (I honestly don't know, I know it's mentioned in F1 all the time.)

Is there intensive for a team to win the Owner's Championship? Like in F1 where it decides year - end winnings for the teams? (I honestly don't know, I know it's mentioned in F1 all the time.)
Well not the same amount of money as F1 (or true priority, as in F1 the constructors put more value on their championship than the drivers championship), but yeah there's still money and prestige behind it.

Have no issues whatsoever about Preece. He didn't try to wreck Sadler or anything. He raced him for position because that's his job. He made it just as hard for Byron so it wasn't like he was playing favorites either.

You want to blame someone? Blame NASCAR for making one race decide a championship. Look at last year where cars that had no stake in the race decide to stay out for the final pit stops and make a mess of things. If anything, Sadler has nothing to complain about because only in this contrived system could he actually have a chance.

Just watched the last 10 laps. Preece didn’t do anything wrong. He passed Sadler clean and Sadler didn’t have anything for Byron then wrecked himself trying to wreck the 18 while Byron was checking out. I loke Sadler but he is wrong.

Happy that Byron won the championship. He deserved it. I think Christopher Bell has cursed himself by winning the trucks. It seems the only driver who went on to better things after being truck series champ was Greg Biffle. And it still befuddles me that a chump driver like Ron Hornaday is going into the HOF next year.

If I'm Barney Visser, and I've funded multiple seasons out of my own pocket for the 78 car, I would make a 5 race deal with Matt Kenseth for next year. With the 78 fully funded with outside sponsorship in 2018, it would be worth a try.

Think about the schedule. The first race is the Daytona 500, which pays the most money. Kenseth is a two time winner, and was close to winning a third one last season, leading up until turn three on the final lap. The next four races are Atlanta, Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Auto Club Speedway. The West Coast swing is more local for the Furniture Row team, with them being based in Colorado.

Kenseth just won at Phoenix, and has always been strong at 1.5 mile tracks, where the 78 team has the strongest program of anyone right now.

If Kenseth wins and locks into the playoffs, I would keep going for the rest of the year, even if it meant paying out of pocket. If Kenseth didn't win, it would at least give him a chance to go out with one more run in the Daytona 500.

What does the Furniture Row team really have to lose here?

Kyle Larson leads at the end of stage 1. The championship picture looks like this;
Brad Keselowski
Kyle Busch
Kevin Harvick
Martin Truex Jr.

Kyle Larson leads at the end of stage 2. Championship picture looks like this;
Martin Truex Jr.
Kevin Harvick
Kyle Busch
Brad Keselowski

Back