2017 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,756 comments
Well other than the fact we had to wait till today to see it, I'd say that was a pretty good start to the season!

I'm really mad that Logano won that race. To be fair, he was the only one that didn't have to slow down that much when Hamlin spun.

Chase Elliott will start on pole for the Daytona 500!

He beat Dale Earnhardt Jr. who got second by 0.002.

IF, they keep the cars in one peice in the duels.

Guarantee, if they do start on the front row, they both lose it off of turn four at some point early in the race.

And the talent less Chase Elliott wins another pole.

(Whatever happened to that guy? Not that I'm complaining about his absence)

Out of curiousity, who won the most popular driver last year? I figured since we now have the son of a multiple time recipient going against another multiple time recipient, it'd be interesting to see an actual fight for that award.

I just know it thankfully isn't Verstappen :lol:

Out of curiousity, who won the most popular driver last year? I figured since we now have the son of a multiple time recipient going against another multiple time recipient, it'd be interesting to see an actual fight for that award.

Jr. won it again.

I just know it thankfully isn't Verstappen :lol:

H supposedly finished a close second. :sly:

I....... i don't have any words

JeK8n8phY8cbfI6X3WuKKX3bl5MT6G01giIWyXnBYMg.jpg

The number is actually the only thing wrong, Chase and Jimmie are the only active drivers with multiple 500 poles.
I don't see poles on the name banner. Only "multiple Daytona 500's" If they did put pole, then sure, but they didn't.

*slow claps for ESPN*

I don't see poles on the name banner. Only "multiple Daytona 500's" If they did put pole, then sure, but they didn't.

*slow claps for ESPN*

It says "multiple Daytona 500" with no "'s" which indicates the "poles" was supposed to be there either got cut off or it's on a scroll and appeared after that screen grab.

Don't get me wrong, ESPN does suck, but in this case I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I....... i don't have any words

JeK8n8phY8cbfI6X3WuKKX3bl5MT6G01giIWyXnBYMg.jpg
My first thought was that someone thought they were being clever and making a reference to Bill Elliott by putting the #9 up there, but then I remembered that no one at ESPN is clever enough to do that and it's likely they just effed up again.

When you look at the front row for the 500 and suddenly remember that one preacher's sons.

From Jayski which got it from ESPN...
  • Larson, team not happy with early exit from Clash: #42-Kyle Larson's car was parked with 14 laps remaining in the Clash at Daytona exhibition Sunday when his team had more than six crewmen over the wall to work on the car. NASCAR's new damaged vehicle policy states that the penalty for "too many men over the wall" is the car can't continue in the race. There was confusion all around the Chip Ganassi Racing camp as NASCAR had said the five-minute clock for repairs on pit road wouldn't be used. But the remainder of the policy -- that body panels and pieces can't be replaced, work on damaged cars must be done on pit road, etc. -- was in effect. "I didn't even know that was a rule," Larson said. "I guess it doesn't really matter because it's just an exhibition race anyways. I feel bad for our new sponsor Credit One Bank that they don't get to be part of the last 10 laps. "It's just confusing. We know now."
    Larson crew chief Chad Johnston said he wanted to talk to NASCAR about how it interpreted the rule. "We didn't have too many over as far as I can tell," he said. The new rules will be a learning experience for all teams. At the moment, teams will be responsible for knowing how much time they have on the five-minute clock to make minor damage repairs on pit road. NASCAR will let teams know when their time has expired, which would mean the car can't return to the race.(ESPN)(2-21-2017)

Anyone else want to bet this rule either gets modified into oblivion or just quietly dropped before the end of the year? I can already tell it'll be one of those things that might be "interpreted" differently depending on who it's applied to.

I guarantee it'll be gone before we come back to Daytona. Even earlier probably.

You all ready for this weekend? Well, maybe not if you think NASCAR is screwing itself to its own demise. I do want to see how the first of this new format goes. As the saying goes, you only get one chance at a first impression. So everyone is going to have to try to adjust to this new format that NASCAR implemented. We will need at least 3-5 races to properly judge whether this new style for NASCAR will work or not. Do remember this package is for NASCAR's top 3 Touring Series. So if this new system sucks, there's always the K&N Pro Series and the other levels of NASCAR racing.

Having said all of this, I am both disappointed and curious about NASCAR and this new format. And regardless of how this first weekend of this new NASCAR goes, the Daytona 500 is still the Daytona 500. It is still can't miss for any pure racing fan.

Can't say I'm surprised about that. "An ESPN Site" Basically told me it was only a matter of time.

Back