2017 NFL Season

• Thread starter Blitz24
  • 592 comments
This is the final weekend of the 2017 NFL regular season. No Sunday Night Football. No Monday Night Football. So if Playoff sports are still available, keep fighting to make the postseason! Or if your team is out of it, then better luck next season. Play for pride.

History could be made in a bad way if the Cleveland Browns fail to defeat the Pittsburgh Steelers this Sunday in Pittsburgh. That history? The 2017 Browns could be the second-ever team in NFL history to finish a season 0-16 since the 2008 Detroit Lions. The 2008 Detroit Lions were the first team to finish a season winless since the 1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers. This was before the NFL expanded the regular season to 16 games. Tampa Bay finished the 1976 season 0-14. Can the Brownies somehow defeat the Steelers this weekend? We'll find out.

Good luck to all of your favorite teams. Hopefully your team(s) will be playing into 2018, rather than playing again next season.

Today...

Every team plays. 32 teams in a total of 16 games. Playoff positioning on the line. Either sweeten your offer or make that last push to get into the postseason. Or if your team is out of it, play for pride to hopefully have a better 2018 season. Regardless, the regular season ends today. No Sunday night. No Monday Night. Get 'er done today.

And on a different scale, can the 2017 Cleveland Browns finally win a game and avoid being the second-ever team since the 2008 Detroit Lions to finish a 16-game season winless? Cleveland is at the Pittsburgh Steelers today. Word has it that Ben Roethlisberger and Le'Veon Bell will be rested to get ready for Playoff action.

Good luck to all of your favorite teams.

There's a lot of speculation saying that Jim Caldwell could be getting fired. I mean, I wish the Lions had a better HC too, but who are they going to get? The only way that getting a new coach would be reasonable is if someone that is leaps and bounds better was a viable option, but throwing darts at a board and just picking a coach is never a good idea.

Yeah, AnthonyD1993. I saw the Cleveland Browns fail on a 4th down play after I saw my Texans fail 22-13 at the Colts. I immediately jumped on Twitter to see all the comments as the Browns had their imperfect season. Social media really has a way of piling onto various stories. One picture I saw had the Browns with no "W" in it. Shame the Browns stunk this hard. So they are now the only other team in NFL history to finish an NFL season 0-16 since the league expanded to a 16-game schedule. And as I've mentioned tirelessly, the other team was the 2008 Detroit Lions. Speaking of the 2008 Lions, I saw a video once showcasing the 2008 season. They went from finishing the preseason 4-0... to losing every regular season game. Still- having sixteen chances to win and failing all sixteen times is just sad. Then too, since when have times been really happy for Browns fans?

Meanwhile... as for my Houston Texans, we couldn't have this season end any sooner. We failed 22-13 at the Indianapolis Colts to lose six straight games. Injuries and poor play have defined the Texans' 2017 season. I hope this does wake up the Texans to put a winning product on the field instead of this depressing unit (star players notwithstanding) for the 2018 season and beyond. Oh, and losing at Indianapolis is extremely redundant for Texans fans. But again- the Texans lose and finish the 2017 season 4-12... just like their inaugural season in 2002.

Up next for the Houston Texans- the 2018 NFL Draft. Maybe some players will come in here and give the Texans more hope than what they've had this year.

Congratulations to all winners from this weekend, and also congrats to whomever wins this season's Super Bowl in Minneapolis.

Cincy...never change...actually do because this is depressing. We knocked off two playoff hopefuls after being trash.

There's a lot of speculation saying that Jim Caldwell could be getting fired. I mean, I wish the Lions had a better HC too, but who are they going to get? The only way that getting a new coach would be reasonable is if someone that is leaps and bounds better was a viable option, but throwing darts at a board and just picking a coach is never a good idea.

I'm not sure why they'd get rid of him either. He's done decently well with the Lions and actually made them halfway competitive in the NFC North.

If anything Cooter needs to go since he likes to run the same six plays every time the Lions get the ball. Also, the RB coach should be gone.

The win today was pretty depressing actually. If they'd played like that last week, they might be on their way to the playoffs.

Fully expecting the Panthers to get destroyed by the Saints in the wildcard. Especially if they play the way they did today against the Falcons.

Whatever though, just happy that they made the playoffs.

Eva
Cincy...never change...actually do because this is depressing. We knocked off two playoff hopefuls after being trash.

I was thinking "4th and 12, Andy Dalton? No way. He's gonna throw a pick, game over. Andy Dalton isn't clutch. He just threw 5 garbage passes before that." And that whole 4th quarter they could not move the ball downfield. But sure enough, he throws an absolute dime, wins the game.

Now it's on to Jacksonville against former coach Doug Marrone, one of the three Bills coaches to get a 9-7 record since the '99 season, the others being McDermott and Mularkey. We have a good chance to win, but it depends on which Tyrod shows up. If December Tyrod shows up, we'll win. If November Tyrod shows up, we'll lose. Hopefully Blake Chokles shows up too.

I have to say though, I completely lost faith in this team when Peterman came in and threw 5 picks against the Chargers. But to begin with I had zero faith that they could win more than 6 or 8 when they traded Sammy to the Rams and Darby to the Eagles.

But, nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills.

Last edited:
But, nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills.

:lol:

It's been forever since I've heard that, ok ok, I only actually read it but I did so with Berman ringing my ears.

Fully expecting the Panthers to get destroyed by the Saints in the wildcard. Especially if they play the way they did today against the Falcons.

Whatever though, just happy that they made the playoffs.

My bucs made em look kinda silly though don't ya think?

If I was a betting man, which I am, I'd not touch that game with Trump's money even lol

Well, that was...surprising to say the least. How in the world do the Bengals knock teams out of playoff contention two weeks in a row to end the season? And the final one to a rival? And where the heck was this offense earlier in the season?

The next time NFL teams hit the field, it will be in the quest to hoist the Lombardi Trophy. Here are the final standings for the 2017 NFL regular season:

! = playoff team

--- AFC ---
AFC EAST: New England! (13-3), BUF! (9-7), MIA (6-10), NYJ (5-11)
AFC NORTH: Pittsburgh! (13-3), BAL (9-7), CIN (7-9), CLE (0-16)
AFC SOUTH: Jacksonville! (10-6), TEN! (9-7), IND and HOU (4-12 each)
AFC WEST: Kansas City! (10-6), LAC (9-7), OAK (6-10), DEN (5-11)

--- NFC ---
NFC EAST: Philadelphia! (13-3), DAL (9-7), WAS (7-9), NYG (3-13)
NFC NORTH: Minnesota! (13-3), DET (9-7), GB (7-9), CHI (5-11)
NFC SOUTH: New Orleans! and Carolina! (11-5 each), ATL! (10-6), TB (5-11)
NFC WEST: Los Angeles Rams! (11-5), SEA (9-7), ARI (8-8), SF (6-10)

So when the playoff teams, they will all play for the opportunity to play in Minneapolis for a chance to become champions of the 2017 NFL season. Twelve will enter, but only one will win. Who will be this season's champions? The journey begins this coming weekend.

Before I close this post, here is an omission from my previous post. Rick Smith, the Houston Texans' General Manager took an indefinite leave of absence to be with his wife who is battling breast cancer. Some of us Texans fans think he should go for good along with head coach Bill O'Brien. Texans still have a mess to clean up regardless this offseason.

Congratulations to all who advanced; better luck next season for those who didn't.

Eva
I hate the Bengals with a passion but the joy I felt in seeing sad Harbaugh face yesterday made me love the ginger and 0-7 Marvin for just a few minutes.:cheers:

DSbE0LSX0AAKNtv.jpg

So far Pagano, Fox, Caldwell, del Rio have been fired, Arians retired, and Lewis is possibly moving into a front office position.

I'm going to call this now. Vikings will easily reach the NFC championship game, at which point they will dominate the first 3 quarters before losing by a last second field goal. :lol:

@JohnBM01 I'm not sure that a change in start is going to help after this season. With all the injuries, a coaching change may hinder Watson's chances, though as quick as he got going it may not. I think O'Brien is a good HC, It just seems like he's had a short hand every year...some caused by Smith, mostly key injuries.

Congrats to Cleveland. The either rival or exceed expansion Tampa for futility over a span. Did they win a preseason game the last two years?

@JohnBM01 I'm not sure that a change in start is going to help after this season. With all the injuries, a coaching change may hinder Watson's chances, though as quick as he got going it may not. I think O'Brien is a good HC, It just seems like he's had a short hand every year...some caused by Smith, mostly key injuries.

Congrats to Cleveland. The either rival or exceed expansion Tampa for futility over a span. Did they win a preseason game the last two years?
They went 4-0 in the pre-season this year.

Social media really has a way of piling onto various stories. One picture I saw had the Browns with no "W" in it.
Haha, the Cleveland Brons. That's great. I will refer to them that way until they win a regular season game again.

My Giants tried to ruin their 2nd overall pick in April but were saved by a Colts win. I think John Fox will be the next Giants coach because I don't think ownership is dumb enough to take a coordinator and try another McAdoo experiment. Del Rio has a shot too now that Oakland dumped him for...

John Gruden, which is apparently a done deal and includes partial ownership of the team. They still have to interview other candidates per the Rooney Rule but it sounds like he will be out of the booth and back on the sidelines. Which means Romo will soon be in the booth Monday Nights... :yuck:

NY Giants schedule after starting 0-5:
@ Denver (L)
Seattle (L)
BYE
LA Rams (Maybe the 1st win?)
@ San Fran (W)
Kansas City (L)
@ Washington (L)
@ Oakland (L)
Dallas (W)
Philly (L)
@Arizona (L)
Washington (W)

4-12 at best unless they do the smart thing and tank the rest of the season. Hopefully they beat the Jets, 49ers and Browns to the 1st overall pick next year. Then we can either take Eli's replacement at QB or trade the pick for multiple picks to get rid of this dead wood O-line.
Well I was close on my prediction. We couldn't beat the Brons to the 1st pick but we will still get a top level QB in the draft. I heard on the radio that Eli has a $20+ million roster bonus if he is on the team by the 3rd day of Free Agency so there is a real possibility that he could be cut before then. It would make more sense to keep Eli so that we don't need to start a rookie next season but that is a lot of money for a regressing QB.

Bing made a bold prediction.

Superbowl
New England vs Rams.

New England is no surprise but Rams?
I don't know.
Have to go through Falcons, Minnesota and whoever tops philly or philly.

oooohhhh.gif

Playoff Predictions:

Wildcard:
AFC
Jaguars over Bills
Chiefs over Titans

NFC
Rams over Falcons
Saints over Panthers

Divisionals:
AFC
Jaguars over Steelers
Patriots over Chiefs

NFC
Eagles over Saints
Vikings over Rams

Conference Championship
AFC
Here's a headscratcher of a pick: Jaguars over Patriots, callback to either SB49 or SB51 in game's end.

NFC
Eagles over Vikings, heartbreaking end on a last-second play.

Super Bowl 52
Eagles over Jaguars

Super Bowl MVP
Nick Foles

Which means Romo will soon be in the booth Monday Nights... :yuck:

I like Romo. He brings a lot of enthusiasm...nowhere near as boring as Collinsworth or Simms (or maybe because they got really annoying after having to hear them in Madden and in real life).

Bills take the Jags. Bills are 2-2 versus current playoff teams not named New England. Jags are 1-3 (though the one team was Pittsburgh). Bills also had top 5 hardest schedules, Jags were in the bottom 5. Jags are way too overrated. Not to say that they're a really good team, but when your offense stalls against an above average Tennessee defense, and the 49ers completely shred your "number 1" defense, they're not as impenetrable as they seem to be. They lost all the momentum they were carrying into week 16 after those two losses.

Probably 10-10 or 13-13 after the first half, and whoever can adjust better, or whoever's defense slips first will win.

Super Bowl MVP
Nick Foles

Bold.

Last edited:
My condolences to all Cincinnati Bengals Fans: Marvin Lewis has been resigned.

As for my team, Jack del Rio is out. We just need to get rid of Downing and we are all set.

My condolences to all Cincinnati Bengals Fans: Marvin Lewis has been resigned.

As for my team, Jack del Rio is out. We just need to get rid of Downing and we are all set.

How do you feel about Gruden probably becoming coach?

How do you feel about Gruden probably becoming coach?

I'm trying my best to be optimistic. Gruden is a good coach, but he has been out of the league for way too many years. Still, since he is an offensive minded coach he might be what Derek Carr needs. And if the rest of the rumors become true and Gruden brings Rich Gannon to the coaching staff maybe, MAYBE Carr will learn how to be a real Top QB.

Sincerely, since my expectations for 2018 are low, I hope I get less disappointments from this team. ANY upgrade is welcome.

Last edited:
I'm trying my best to be optimistic. Gruden is a good coach, but he has been out of the league for way too many years. Still, since he is an offensive minded coach he might be what Derek Carr needs. And if the rest of the rumors became true and Gruden brings Rich Gannon to the coaching staff maybe, MAYBE Carr will learn how to be a real Top QB.

Sincerely, since my expectations for 2018 are low, I hope I get less disappointments from this team. ANY upgrade is welcome.

Just remember the Rams were expected to go 4-12 until an offensive coach came in and sorted out Goff. And the Bills were expected to make a total rebuild yet made the playoffs for the first time in the 21st century. Anything can happen during the offseason.

If Gruden does become coach, be ready for Spider 2Y Banana.

Back