2017 SUPER GT ThreadTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Suzumiya
  • 281 comments
Hey, everyone. I'm somewhat new to Super GT, and I've watched a couple races last year. I'm mainly curious about the differences in tire brands in the field in both classes.From what I've read and seen:

Bridgestone GT500: generally best in the cold and dry.

Dunlop GT500: best wet tire.

Michelin GT500: all around best dry tire. Very weak in the cold.

Yokohama GT500: potentially best tire wear looking at Sugo 2016.

Does anyone know more, particularly in the GT300 class?

After three brilliant sessions, that GT500 Q2 was an anticlimactic damp squib. ARTA got pole for being the fastest at the point of the first red flag, but nobody had set a representative lap at that point as they were all still building up tire temperature. The results feel cheap.

Hopefully the race makes up for this sham of a qualifying session, though I expect it will be contested by only Lexus at the front.

Probably a Lexus domination. But they'll have to pass a car or two to get there. GT300 looks to be a GT3 affair, but I hope to see the Prius and Subaru get it going.

After three brilliant sessions, that GT500 Q2 was an anticlimactic damp squib. ARTA got pole for being the fastest at the point of the first red flag, but nobody had set a representative lap at that point as they were all still building up tire temperature. The results feel cheap.

Hopefully the race makes up for this sham of a qualifying session, though I expect it will be contested by only Lexus at the front.

Was wondering what happened.

Here's the link for the Nismo stream incase anyone is interested.

I'm very excited about being able to follow the entire season of SuperGT live this year. I'm not sure I'll catch the May Fuji round live though considering it's during the week.

Sam Collins and who on comms?

Sounds like he will have different co-commentators for each race. Charlie Butler Henderson will be with him this weekend, I'm not familiar with him so I'm not if he'll be any good.

What's up with the Nissan's lately? They used to dominate, and now they chug along at the back.

Edit: Mint-zilla. :lol:

And what the hell Honda? :P

Hopefully Nissan and Honda figure things out. Mercedes dominating F1 has kept me away, Lexus doing the same here could end up with the same result. I like variety.

What's up with the Nissan's lately? They used to dominate, and now they chug along at the back.

Edit: Mint-zilla. :lol:

And what the hell Honda? :P
Well, just the look of the GT-R is one that strikes me as a dated car.

Did anyone else catch the bit where Sam Collins mentioned that the Honda Super GT electronics come from the same place as the Honda F1 electronics...how very mysterious :lol:

I'm half way through watching the Indycar race from Long Beach, and they mentuoned something about some of the Hondas having electrical issues as well.

Did anyone else catch the bit where Sam Collins mentioned that the Honda Super GT electronics come from the same place as the Honda F1 electronics...how very mysterious :lol:

I'm half way through watching the Indycar race from Long Beach, and they mentuoned something about some of the Hondas having electrical issues as well.
I'm not going to spoil the end. But a few Hondas are going to fail.

Honda is losing ground in every major Motorsport they're in. They're off the pace in GT's, F1, and seemingly Indycar. (Edit, they're doing okay in there)

at least they have good fuel economy...

Last edited:
Believe Ganassi is to thank for Honda doing well in Indycar. Honda teams have a tier 1 team to go to now and Honda can cooperate with them.

The Honda Indycars look strong so far this year (thank you for not spoiling LB), but as mentioned I think Ganassi has a lot to do with that...plus the Indycars are done by HPD, which has little to no connection to Honda Japan, as I understand things. There's also the new Acura GT3 program which isn't doing terrible (the Shank cars have been pretty competative), but again, that was developed largely in America and Europe.

Honda F1 and SuperGT though, they've been nothing but terrible for a couple years now...and from what I understand, a lot of the electronics are coming from the same place (iirc, the NSX Hybrid from 2 years ago was using the same hybrid system as the F1 car).

I haven't looked too deeply into the whole thing, but during the Chinese GP, I thought I heard someone mention that Honda is using university graduate students to work on their racing programs - like the graduate students thesis projects are various aspects of the racing program. I do know that the Japanese manufacturers have a habit of giving out scholarships to students, paying for their studies, and then have the students be life-long employees for the company....or something like that.

But if this is the case, that Honda is using university students instead of industry professionals to engineer thier racecars, it's no wonder they are where they are.

Watching TCR last weekend, I was very surprised to see the Westcoast Racing team switch from Honda to VW. WC has been a Honda team for a long long time now, haven't they? Strange to see them switch manufacturers.

Honda also does MotoGP and WTCC. They do quite well in both. The part of the Super GT cars that failed was done by Mugen. They haven't had issues with it until now. So it's weird that they are having issues.

Honda the new Chrysler when it comes to crappy half baked electronics.

Honda also does MotoGP and WTCC. They do quite well in both. The part of the Super GT cars that failed was done by Mugen. They haven't had issues with it until now. So it's weird that they are having issues.

Which means it could be something from these cars interacting with the electronics causing them to fail. Which is why they still don't understand fully what is going on.

Latest Posts

Back