2017 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Results and TalkTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 3,963 comments
PRA would have to be complete morons to keep Bright and not sign Stanaway up

Bright owns that REC though. So unless there's another REC they can purchase *cough* LDM *cough*, they can't dump him.

Edit: Tree'd.

How must Jacobson be feeling? S2 champion last year. He looked to be the next PRA star, until this Stanaway guy showed up. :lol:

They're not morons, the dude has and REC and basically can keep himself in the seat as long as he wants
Fair enough, I wasn't aware of that. It would be a shame seeing Bright again next year just to see him be right at the very back again and again when some of the talent we've seen deserves a promotion.

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of that. It would be a shame seeing Bright again next year just to see him be right at the very back again and again when some of the talent we've seen deserves a promotion.

Someone has to finish at the back. As much as I agree with you (many of us do) that Bright should be gone, as long as he has the REC it wont happen. If it were up to me he'd have been gone years ago.

Last edited:
Scotty gets it.

As has been the story all season.

Just catching up on this, was out on the town last night and avoided the thread and facebook for spoilers. Good to see a Ford 1,2,3. Funny how PRA and DJRTP have kept those cars up front without backing from Ford. I'd also say it's time to make some changes to the end of the back stretch at Sandown. Get rid of that tire wall, carve out some earth there and make a nice runoff area. Three times this weekend showed why it's needed.

As has been the story all season.

Just catching up on this, was out on the town last night and avoided the thread and facebook for spoilers. Good to see a Ford 1,2,3. Funny how PRA and DJRTP have kept those cars up front without backing from Ford. I'd also say it's time to make some changes to the end of the back stretch at Sandown. Get rid of that tire wall, carve out some earth there and make a nice runoff area. Three times this weekend showed why it's needed.
If they can move that wall back at all, the most they'll be able to do it by is 10-15 metres max.

The boundary fence to the property & Dandenong Road make it impossible to do anything more.

Ultimately, the question is, would an extra 10-15 metres to the wall have made a significant difference to the accidents that happened?
I'm struggling for an answer besides No.

The greatest thing about that section of the Sandown track has been & is, there's consequences if you get it wrong.

Alter the track to include a Tarmac run-off before the wall & we arrive at a place where track limits and time penalties come into the equation.

IMO, take away the consequences & anyone can drive fast without penalty.
Well, real penalties anyway.

I don't want to see drivers end up in hospital, or worse but, I'm against the sanitization of the sport.

If they can move that wall back at all, the most they'll be able to do it by is 10-15 metres max.

The boundary fence to the property & Dandenong Road make it impossible to do anything more.

Ultimately, the question is, would an extra 10-15 metres to the wall have made a significant difference to the accidents that happened?
I'm struggling for an answer besides No.

The greatest thing about that section of the Sandown track has been & is, there's consequences if you get it wrong.

Alter the track to include a Tarmac run-off before the wall & we arrive at a place where track limits and time penalties come into the equation.

IMO, take away the consequences & anyone can drive fast without penalty.
Well, real penalties anyway.

I don't want to see drivers end up in hospital, or worse but, I'm against the sanitization of the sport.

Sounds like your best answer then is move the barrier back and change it out for a SAFER wall. More time for the driver to think about getting their hands off the wheel to reduce wrist damage/breakage and no trampoline effect from the tires anymore.

A TECPRO barrier that we see on the Formula 1 circuits would have also worked much, much better than a tyre barrier. TECPRO barriers don't have the spring effect that we see from the tyre barriers.

Also one factor with the corner is the wall is on a pretty much 45 degree angle to the direction they are heading. The angle of the barrier caused Hazelwood's car to the continue momentum further along down the road.

Sounds like your best answer then is move the barrier back and change it out for a SAFER wall. More time for the driver to think about getting their hands off the wheel to reduce wrist damage/breakage and no trampoline effect from the tires anymore.
A TECPRO barrier that we see on the Formula 1 circuits would have also worked much, much better than a tyre barrier. TECPRO barriers don't have the spring effect that we see from the tyre barriers.

Also one factor with the corner is the wall is on a pretty much 45 degree angle to the direction they are heading. The angle of the barrier caused Hazelwood's car to the continue momentum further along down the road.
A SAFER barrier or, TECPRO barrier would have to be a better option than bundles of retreads held in by a conveyor belt.
Sand would probably be best there. We want the cars to decelerate, not "accelerate" on dry/wet grass.
A sand trap there would cause some cars to dig in and roll, with the possibility of cars leaping the fence into the crowd.
Hazelwood's car spinning off at the angle it did is a prime example.

At those speeds, it could happen as is. Wil Davison almost went over the fence. We saw the incident with Chada slow the cars at Turn 1.

I'm not dismissing that possibility of a car digging in. I'd rather the cars have a chance to shave speed. With Hazelwood backing it in to the barrier in a sand trap, I'm sure his speed would have been way less than 184km/h at time of impact. Webb's car would have slowed a bit more with a sand trap to impede his momentum. However, at that point, it is such a short distance from the track edge to the barriers.

Hmm, last time "McLaren" were involved with a GM product, we got this
1987-Buick-GNX.jpg

Maybe a special road car comes of it.

Also, one of the comments mentioned Boost Mobile on the #6. Would Adderton put up his Boost Mobile connection, for LDM to run a Ford with Stanaway behind the wheel? On loan, at least, until Bright makes up his mind.

Back