2017 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Results and TalkTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 3,963 comments
I sincerely hope you're referring to the speeding penalty. On that note, did you even read all of my post or just the part you wanted to nitpick with?
That was also absurd, but I'm referring to what eveyone else is, the Lowndes clash. So on that note, did you read any of the posts here?

And yes I did read your post, as I quoted everything but the opening statement which was an irrelevant opinion to what is being discussed.

Yes, I'm a Lowndes fan but, I'm not biased in anyway that gives him a free pass for incidents that may be his fault.

No bias here

A bumper. Are you friggin serious?

Blind Freddy can see from the replay that Lowndes had more than a bumper on Scott.

If all CL had on SMc was a bumper, the #17 is the car that would've been in the wall.

Craig had numerous opportunities to play dirty team tactics but, he didn't.

So, anyone else think I'm biased?

Video is up on the VASC website, watched it plenty (for you too @aarror since you want to play the JW card). Coming off the corner exit, Scott had oversteer setting up a window for Craig to get at, Craig put his nose in and got into Scotty for a bit. Coming down the straight they had some space where Scotty moved left couldn't see Craig and they touched a bit again, he seems to get hooked on the damaged car of Scotty. As they continue going up the hill there really isn't that much room for Craig to be on the inside like that with the protruding wall and he hits it going door to door with Scott. I don't really give a crap that JW won, and I don't really see why the conversation about the ups and downs of Scott's racing seems to be justification for this final incursion. What I care about is a fair shake and time to actually comb over the incident and perhaps call up the drivers to get a perspective.

They did none of this, called it essentially as soon as the cars stopped and that was that. If that seems fair to you that's fine we have nothing more to converse cause I'm not going to spend all night trying to convince people otherwise. I saw it and rewatched it to make sure I wasn't just outright blindly supporting something that didn't happen and after watching several times now I think it was a racing incident as seen many times in the series without punishment and actually looked over for a decent amount of time.

I watched the vid - 15 sec penalty was harsh. Slade got nothing for punting Pye off the road earlier in the race....

At the of the day, the occasion got the better of Scotty. Had he bided his time behind Simona, he would have been set.

Stewards sure seemed pretty quick to make a decision on a championship-defining incident before hearing from the drivers, of all the decisions they've made throughout the year surely that one required the most deliberation? Looked to me like Scotty was covering his line at a constant angle and Craig got done by the middle of the wall jutting out a bit. Harsh to slap #17 with a time penalty that quickly when lesser incidents with far less importance on the championship have taken a lot longer to resolve!

His race was terrible though. As soon as that PLP happened (which is another kettle of fish, Shane made up at least a car length on entry...) his race went in the dumpster, having to battle with cars that he shouldn't have had to battle with - I'm looking at you Courtney you flog - it was far and away the 'worst' race I've seen him have. Spinning Simona, getting sandwiched by Pye/Bright and co turn 1 late race, the Lowndes incident - one he'll want to forget very quickly. He was fast, sure, but uncharacteristically clumsy.

Chaotic race, but not necessarily for all the right reasons.

Video is up on the VASC website, watched it plenty (for you too @aarror since you want to play the JW card). Coming off the corner exit, Scott had oversteer setting up a window for Craig to get at, Craig put his nose in and got into Scotty for a bit. Coming down the straight they had some space where Scotty moved left couldn't see Craig and they touched a bit again, he seems to get hooked on the damaged car of Scotty. As they continue going up the hill there really isn't that much room for Craig to be on the inside like that with the protruding wall and he hits it going door to door with Scott. I don't really give a crap that JW won, and I don't really see why the conversation about the ups and downs of Scott's racing seems to be justification for this final incursion. What I care about is a fair shake and time to actually comb over the incident and perhaps call up the drivers to get a perspective.

They did none of this, called it essentially as soon as the cars stopped and that was that. If that seems fair to you that's fine we have nothing more to converse cause I'm not going to spend all night trying to convince people otherwise. I saw it and rewatched it to make sure I wasn't just outright blindly supporting something that didn't happen and after watching several times now I think it was a racing incident as seen many times in the series without punishment and actually looked over for a decent amount of time.

I've gone back to watch it a couple times, but my position hasn't changed. To my eyes it's a block gone wrong, Scotty moved to defend but Craig was already there. As you said however, I doubt I'll convince you or anyone else else here to change your minds. But that's only to be expected, any title deciding crash is going to be polarizing.

I'll agree they should have taken more time to properly assess the incident, but I doubt the end result would be any different. This is a similar incident to Schumacher squeezing Barrichello at Hungary in 2010 (except there was no contact there), and Schumi got a penalty for that one. (A 10 place grid penalty for the next race).

I've gone back to watch it a couple times, but my position hasn't changed. To my eyes it's a block gone wrong, Scotty moved to defend but Craig was already there. As you said however, I doubt I'll convince you or anyone else else here to change your minds. But that's only to be expected, any title deciding crash is going to be polarizing.

I'll agree they should have taken more time to properly assess the incident, but I doubt the end result would be any different. This is a similar incident to Schumacher squeezing Barrichello at Hungary in 2010 (except there was no contact there), and Schumi got a penalty for that one. (A 10 place grid penalty for the next race).

No, one had a fully functioning mirror and just tried to scare him out of challenging for position the other as I said had a significantly damaged car on that side and said himself he couldn't see and was never of intent to squeez him. He knew he was close and tried to cover. And I've seen other racing incidents similar to this.

Good thing is, DJRTP will be in the number one garage. Senator Palpatine is still burning for missing out on that one.
As long as the #12 & #17 can keep winning as a team, that's the main thing. I'll be watching the #78 as well. Good stuff.

DJR summed it up well in a brief live broadcast they did on Facebook earlier - that it took three penalties for Scotty to not win the championship.

I suppose that's looking on the bright side?

WHAT.A.RACE.
That's up there with Bathurst 2014 as one of the most chaotic V8 Supercar races of all time. The only other race which has driven me up the wall, so much to the point where I nearly cried, shouted in joy after Scotty put Lowndes into the wall, and went silent after THAT penalty. Almost had a heart attack. Holy crap, there was more action in this race alone than the entire F1 season. Let me put it blantantly though: Whincup will not win another championship. He's done enough. The only positive I can take from this race is that Scotty has plenty more opportunities to win a championship - or championships potentially. I just hope he isn't dogged by inconsistent decision making at race control. Quit pandering to Roland Dane you morons!

I really enjoyed the whole weekend, well not Saturday since I wasn't there and had to attend a Yugioh regional but had fun attending this event.

My only real complaint is that it was almost impossible to find any good room to watch the race when not in the grandstand. I eventually just stayed in the Hino truck for most of the race but Courtneys Car after dropping the muffler was crazy loud :shocked:. There was quite a lot of T8 fans (or maybe they were just Holdens) where I was, and everyone around me reacted like crazy. It got really close all the way to the end.

As for the penalties with Mclaughlin. The PLP can be debatable but clips of the pit entry with the speedo showed him entering 39 km/h when entering his pit box, which I guess was a violation. The PLP for Pit Speed seems more like a outdated rule (these were given a lot more back in the day) they still had to enforce. Simona was no debate. Lowndes, I have to say Mclaughlin messed up, he encouraged and even touched Craig Lowndes giving him no chance but to collide the wall, Mclaughlin was penalized fairly, the other brought up from other people here were not and someone shouldn't be unfairly treated just because other drivers were in fact they should've gotten fair penalties like Mclaughlin, you deserve it after messing up someone elses race.

Now want to take this time to say I am incredibly impressed with Simona. At the start of the year, I really didn't think she was special and only got in to Supercars so the series can flaunt some political points, and while I still think she didn't really earn her way in here, she definitely has earned her way into staying here. She has greatly improved from her realy slow beginnings to being someone who can pull a lot of speeding moments and can see her pulling great things next year too

Last edited:
Can we rename this joke of a series to: Red Bull Supercars Series.

IS IT SERIOUSLY TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR A NON RED BULL GUY TO WIN THE TITLE?! :banghead:

I really enjoyed the whole weekend, well not Saturday since I wasn't there and had to attend a Yugioh regional but had fun attending this event.

My only real complaint is that it was almost impossible to find any good room to watch the race when not in the grandstand. I eventually just stayed in the Hino truck for most of the race but Courtneys Car after dropping the muffler was crazy loud :shocked:. There was quite a lot of T8 fans (or maybe they were just Holdens) where I was, and everyone around me reacted like crazy. It got really close all the way to the end.

As for the penalties with Mclaughlin. The PLP can be debatable but clips of the pit entry with the speedo showed him entering 39 km/h when entering his pit box, which I guess was a violation. The PLP for Pit Speed seems more like a outdated rule (these were given a lot more back in the day) they still had to enforce. Simona was no debate. Lowndes, I have to say Mclaughlin messed up, he encouraged and even touched Craig Lowndes giving him no chance but to collide the wall, Mclaughlin was penalized fairly, the other brought up from other people here were not and someone shouldn't be unfairly treated just because other drivers were in fact they should've gotten fair penalties like Mclaughlin, you deserve it after messing up someone elses race.

Now want to take this time to say I am incredibly impressed with Simona. At the start of the year, I really didn't think she was special and only got in to Supercars so the series can flaunt some political points, and while I still think she didn't really earn her way in here, she definitely has earned her way into staying here. She has greatly improved from her realy slow beginnings to being someone who can pull a lot of speeding moments and can see her pulling great things next year too
I stayed at a few spots trackside. --Under the bridge at Nobby's roundabout. It had shade and we were standing on the bridge concrete supports.
-Hunter/Watt St, King/Watt St(I used ear plugs). I was also at a friend's place in the brown building on the corner of King/Watt St(closed in balcony, so couldn't see up and down the street)
- Liquid Gold Cafe at the bottom of Shortland Esplanade. Was awesome to see cars make the turn onto Zaara St.
- the start finish line is also an awesome spot. The spectator fences were so close to the barriers.

I'll upload some videos.
Hunter/Watt St

Esplanade across from Liquid Gold.

I'll post another from Nobby's roundabout.

Just gotta get there early. Any way, Corporate and Grandstand seats are definitely worth the extra money. Me and the wife will do that next year. This way, we have the option to walk around and have a good spot to rest.

Edit: videos on private. When I get home from work, I'll upload some.

Last edited:
Agree with @aarror that it was a block gone wrong. My only real issue was the speeding penalty Scotty received early on. Which by all accounts seems like he wasn't speeding at all.
IS IT SERIOUSLY TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR A NON RED BULL GUY TO WIN THE TITLE?! :banghead:

Winterbottom championship a couple of years ago was just a glitch in the matrix. :crazy:

It's not like this series is the Schumacher F1 Grand Prix or Rossi MotoGP or Loeb WRC or Johnson NASCAR or Kristensen LeMans series.

There's always one driver that will set records. Scott set a qualifying record at his young age. Whincup said it, "He'll(Scott) win the next 8(Championships)." I'm pissed off, but we'll see what happens next year and the years after that.

I’m still disappointed after yesterday, Scott got screwed by that first PLP. But we move on all I know is 2017 was one hell of a season and with all the young guns joining next year 2018 is going to be even better.

I’m still disappointed after yesterday, Scott got screwed by that first PLP. But we move on all I know is 2017 was one hell of a season and with all the young guns joining next year 2018 is going to be even better.
Not to mention T8 have a new car to sort out, then a new engine after that. Could leave them playing catch up for a couple seasons. (hopefully)

Sorry all I have to vent a little ..... 🤬 :banghead: 🤬 :mad: 🤬 :grumpy:

Man that was the hardest race to watch, my TV was lucky to survive !! Almost launched my remote at it a couple of times.

What a hell of a season ! I would normally congratulate the winner about now...But just cant quite bring myself to do it right now.

I will look at a couple of positives though, I normally don't like street circuits but Newcastle have made a good one ! Could do with a few more overtaking spots, but looks like a awesome track to drive, and its a spectacular location.
And what was it... 16 poles for Scotty, that is a pretty awesome achievement !

Oh well...Roll on next year I guess :)

McLaighlinLowndes-344x222.jpg

Reckon that jut in the wall won't be there next year?
That one single BS penalty created the whole snowball effect and cost him the championship. Without it, he wouldn't have been anywhere near Simona or Lowndes.

Any other place and he would have been able to recover just fine (talking top ten at least). But as we all saw, not many overtaking opportunities on that Newcastle track. That's what did him in.

Last edited:
I hope someone works what the story was with the pit lane speed infringements - they showed one reply with McL's telemetry and all it indicated was that he was doing 38kph to his box and 38kph out again.
DJR even said that they didn't understand it as their data didn't show a breach!

<conspiracy theory>
Both Shell V-Power cars pinged for speeding entering pit lane despite apparent evidence to suggest otherwise
</conspiracy>

Back