2017 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Results and TalkTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 3,963 comments
I bet Jack Lebrocq is happy to leave MWM, after what Davies pulled. Couldn't believe Davies just wouldn't let him go. At least Fulwood got on the podium.

Few spots I watched from

I think the cure to speeding in pitlane is, a digital readout we can all see, showing the speed of the car as it enters pitlane.

If they can place big orange trailers with a speed readout in our streets, the technology is there & can be adapted to a suitable size.

As I posted yesterday, Scott's telementary showed his maximum as 38 km/h, not 39, not 40, 38. That's a generous cushion when others would do their best to lock in their limiter at 39.9.

If we can all see via telementary or, my idea above, how the officials can issue a PLP is beyond me :odd:

I think the cure to speeding in pitlane is, a digital readout we can all see, showing the speed of the car as it enters pitlane.

If they can place big orange trailers with a speed readout in our streets, the technology is there & can be adapted to a suitable size.

As I posted yesterday, Scott's telementary showed his maximum as 38 km/h, not 39, not 40, 38. That's a generous cushion when others would do their best to lock in their limiter at 39.9.

If we can all see via telementary or, my idea above, how the officials can issue a PLP is beyond me :odd:
The clip shown at the tv screen with the speedometer showed he reached 39 a few times when entering his pit box although not driving through the pit lane.

It could be a misreading issue from either parties with Mclaughlin unfortunately getting caught in this.

However I'm not going to go and say Mclaughlin was going to win if he didn't get the PLP as anything else could've happened in that race as it was relatively early, he could've but there are scenarios like in all motorsports where he couldn't. I'd argue he would've won if the same situations occured BUT he let Craig Lowdnes through and then overtook him later on.

Next year, I'm really looking forward to seeing Richie Stanaway perform in the main series full time. I kinda wished he would go with Holden being a Holden fan but I'm pretty sure that would be a stupid move on Stanaway part and can understand him entering full-time with Ford thanks to his well experience with it (or he might pull a massive curve and go Nissan). It's going to be weird rooting for a non-Holden driver for the first time :lol:

Is there any other sport where you don't get 5-10 seconds (depending on severity) for speeding in pit lane?

None that I can think of. I mainly blame VASC for seemingly ignoring this rule when it came to changing rules and regulations. Makes me think they forgot it existed since it occured very few times recently and when it occured in the heat of the moment, they couldn't really change it in the last minute in the middle of the race.

It seems crazy that the information could be ignored...
I also don't agree with the fact that Scotty was penalised soo quickly. It doesn't seem right or fair to be honest.

It's going to be weird rooting for a non-Holden driver for the first time :lol:

It's not really worth the whole manufacturer fandom imo, Reynolds moved from PRA to Erabus (not by choice) but I still love seeing him do well. I liked seeing Scotty do well when driving for GRM across Holden and Volvo. You don't have to automatically like/dislike a driver because of what they drive

It's not really worth the whole manufacturer fandom imo, Reynolds moved from PRA to Erabus (not by choice) but I still love seeing him do well. I liked seeing Scotty do well when driving for GRM across Holden and Volvo. You don't have to automatically like/dislike a driver because of what they drive
^ This

I've always followed drivers instead of brands.

Having said that, I wasn't jumping for joy or, turning cartwheels when Brock started tinkering with Ladas.
I understand it was purely a financial thing but, jeeeeeeeez! :odd:

It's not that like/dislike drivers. Hating and Liking someone just because of what they driver is silly, but I still like to root for my preferred manufacturer. I like both Mclaughlin AND Whincup as drivers and in terms of drivers, would be happy either way o who won, though I still rather a Holden car win.

I don't what it was with Stanaway though, I seemed really excited with his driving as a co-driver and just him entering full-time is enough to get me even more excited :D

Last edited:
I'm a fan of Betty, but don't want them winning in a Holden. I like Nissan, because they are a different manufacturer.and the history in this country. Plus, wanting them to come good and be top 5. Any team that wins over a Holden, because they(Holden) have won so much. I still have respect for certain drivers. I'm not a fan of Davison(and he'll probably be in an FG X). I didn't like Pye at LDM. Being he was is a good driver, he was potentially taking away points from Ford drivers. Then, he joins DJR and I was fine with him(might have had a stellar year if they kept him). I'm a fan of his even though he's now back in a Holden. Though this season, didn't bother me as much, because WR were no threat.

People can still like/dislike a manufacturer or driver or team that switches. I used to feel why can't Ford have drivers like Lowndes and Whincup(after T8 went to Holden). Ford have Chaz, Waters, Stanaway, McLaughlin, as hard chargers. Now with Hazelwood most likely in an MSR(ex-DJRTP) FG X, add one more to that list. Gonna be an epic 2018.

Speaking of drivers from Super2. Does anyone know why Paul Dumbrell hasn't moved back up yet? He's shown to be capable enough for racing in the main game. Makes me think he only stays so he gets to partner up with Whincup for the Enduros.

I'm a fan of Betty, but don't want them winning in a Holden. I like Nissan, because they are a different manufacturer.and the history in this country. Plus, wanting them to come good and be top 5.

Funny I have a kind of reverse effect. I'm also a fan of Betty and was a fan of the erebus project with the E63 AMG as it felt like the underdog team, though I'm still fine with them winning in a Holden.

As for Nissan, I like the drivers (originally Simona was an exception but she has grown on me) but I can't stand the car :lol:. Wished either Nissan got a better car or the drivers were driving for something else. Although still happy when they get some achievements as drivers.

Speaking of drivers from Super2. Does anyone know why Paul Dumbrell hasn't moved back up yet? He's shown to be capable enough for racing in the main game. Makes me think he only stays so he gets to partner up with Whincup for the Enduros
It'd be a combination of that and not having the time due to his business, I'd imagine.

Hi All,

This is my first post in GTPlanet.

I chose to post it here because V8 Supercars is my favorite racing championship. I’ve been following it since Marcos Ambrose won his first championship and never stopped since. Seeing Bathurst 1000 in loco is on my bucket list.

Why V8 Supercars? Because of the rules and the sportsmanship. Supercars is more about the racing and less about the brand’s politics like DTM or the Wrestlemania that NASCAR has become and is much more interesting than the super boring F1. It’s a championship that I can relate to because I consider myself as a fair sportsman and I can see that in the series.

I’m not naïve though. I know it’s a business and that sometimes, like in Newcastle, people do anything to win. I have to explain that I’m writing this after watching the last race of this year’s championship… I’ll get back to this one later on…

I’ve always had a preference for Ford drivers but when my current favorite driver (SVG) switched to Red Bull I stopped looking at brands… I think. Like some of the more wise users said: it’s more about the drivers.

Now, back to Newcastle… I have to say that I loved seeing Scotty Mac in a Volvo but when he moved to Ford… well… I always knew that it would change him.

There is something about being in a championship winning team that can change a driver. The demand for results can end in a desperate move (like the one that earned him a well-deserved penalty at the end of the race), after two great recoveries, that ruins a driver’s reputation with the fans. He did what he had to do to try and win the championship and now he has to live with the consequences. The wise users know what I’m talking about. And I’m not going to say more about Newcastle.

For some of the users in this forum I’ll advise consistency. That’s something important in today’s world. For the wise users I would like to say that your posts are what makes me come here every week.

As my final thought I would like to say that despite all the negatives that you might point out (including your favorite driver not winning the championship), V8 Supercars is the best racing series in the world and you (AUS and NZ) can be very proud of it!

The end. ;)

While it may be the greatest racing, at the rate it's going it wont see growth I suspect for time to come or ever if changes aren't made. And these changes wouldn't necessarily be a detriment to the spirit of the series that has been known for decades.

Does anyone know why Paul Dumbrell hasn't moved back up yet? He's shown to be capable enough for racing in the main game. Makes me think he only stays so he gets to partner up with Whincup for the Enduros.

Pretty sure Dumbrell only does S2 at this point just to keep himself sharp for the enduro's. He owns a stake in Triple 8 racing too, so I can't see him ever driving for anyone else.

^^^ It honestly wouldn't have ended the way it did if Scotty remembered or even knew that wall stuck out like it did. He stopped moving over when he thought there was enough room left, and it was a tight squeeze but it worked. It was that secondary wall that created the mess. Simple racing incident. What's upsetting is VASC making such a quick decision on the penalty. That is a post race investigation if I ever saw one. Definitely with a championship on the line.

Even with that, seeing how he was able to drive thru the field, smart play would have been to pit for tyres. Give him everything he needed to be aggressive and defend, if needed. Scoot was faster than Lowndes. Had they pitted, Scott might have been able to dispatch the GRM cars earlier.

^^^ It honestly wouldn't have ended the way it did if Scotty remembered or even knew that wall stuck out like it did. He stopped moving over when he thought there was enough room left, and it was a tight squeeze but it worked. It was that secondary wall that created the mess. Simple racing incident. What's upsetting is VASC making such a quick decision on the penalty. That is a post race investigation if I ever saw one. Definitely with a championship on the line.

I agree, and when Lowndes himself says that he never hit the wall before and that they were fine side by side until the jut...that tells me even more that it was simply a racing incident.

I know right?

While it may be the greatest racing, at the rate it's going it wont see growth I suspect for time to come or ever if changes aren't made. And these changes wouldn't necessarily be a detriment to the spirit of the series that has been known for decades.
It's not like they aren't trying though.

Australia isn't exactly a priority market for most manufacturers to get invested in. Not to mention both Holden and Ford had a lot of experience under their cars meaning it was always going to be an uphill battle for outsiders. I'd argue Volvo only did so well was because Scott Mclaughlin, when he switched to a more experience Falcon this year, he killed it even more than he ever did in the S60. The #34 Volvo always seemed to struggle like the Nissans and Erebus vehicles.

It's not like they aren't trying though.

No one said they aren't, however, the attempts they have made and the big move to this format hasn't brought anything about simply because the execution isn't there.

Australia isn't exactly a priority market for most manufacturers to get invested in. Not to mention both Holden and Ford had a lot of experience under their cars meaning it was always going to be an uphill battle for outsiders. I'd argue Volvo only did so well was because Scott Mclaughlin, when he switched to a more experience Falcon this year, he killed it even more than he ever did in the S60. The #34 Volvo always seemed to struggle like the Nissans and Erebus vehicles.

It's not about Australia's marketability and never has been if that was the case, then Nissan wouldn't have any reason to stay in it, nor would Volvo have ever come. What it is is a supposed international sport, and whatever promises are being sold by VASC to manufactures, aren't coming to fruition which is why we're one, not seeing any new ones on the horizon and two saw others leave. Now granted Erebus is a weird one and probably one that shouldn't be brought into discussion since it was mostly Betty doing the heavy lifting with slight help.

I would say the Volvo was strong, and the drivers they put next to Scott were not. If they had it with in their budget to put another strong person in there like Fabs to the current DJRTP line up, you'd have seen similar things. The other problem was that the car probably had a bit of rushed development to get into the game and had frequent break downs which cost the team more than it should have. That's not really the point or the heart of the matter, what is is the grip that is on the sport by not two manufactures but one team really, and makes it very undesirable for other manufactures to want to join. In a series where it seems T8 have the cards to themselves most time over these past 10-12 year what new group would want to potentially invest only to get nothing out of it. If it takes a guy like Roger Penske imagine how much it'd take for a manufacture to do the same and have success.

The last issues would be the fact it's mostly Australian based and no signs of international travel seems to be any bit closer than "deep talks". Manufactures really don't want to invest in regional series, unless as you said there is big markets, but VASC could easily get away with it and has if they were open to expanding, even if it was just the South Pacific. While the cost might increase it would benefit them more than anything potentially.

Last is the cost efforts to develop the new gen machines that have been constantly on the radar of fans and teams since 2013. Manufactures saw the struggles and little help new groups got when they first showed up a few years ago. If VASC really wants to expand and really wants to see growth they'd be wise to give help to those manufactures interested in developing new engines for the current regs with out restricting them to the same rules the set in stone engines have. Once it's established then they can tweak the rules to reign them in.

I've seen nothing that indicates this is happening behind the scenes. Every time we hear there is an interested manufacture only for them to say "nope, there is nothing there for us". That shows me that the issue is internal and not exactly anything to do with the product but those making the rules.

Last edited:
I’ve always had a preference for Ford drivers but when my current favorite driver (SVG) switched to Red Bull I stopped looking at brands… I think. Like some of the more wise users said: it’s more about the drivers.
As a fellow SVG fan I and so glad to have someone else as he is Public Enemy Number 1 in this forum

In a series where it seems T8 have the cards to themselves most time over these past 10-12 year what new group would want to potentially invest only to get nothing out of it. If it takes a guy like Roger Penske imagine how much it'd take for a manufacture to do the same and have success.
While I agree with you on the other stuff you said, this I can't.

There are examples of dominant teams killing series and making manufacturers lack any chance in joining, FIA GT almost died because Mercedes pretty much killed the 90's GT1 category however, American Le Mans Series hasn't exactly died when Joest was winning LMP1 all the time, it died well after Joest stopped caring, multiple teams have attempted to join other series despite one ruling it all, why would Supercars be so different in 1 team is more dominant?

As a fellow SVG fan I and so glad to have someone else as he is Public Enemy Number 1 in this forum
I know what you mean. I'm a follower of GTPlanet for a long time and I'm aware of SVG's "Public enemy number 1" status in this thread. For me it's very simple to explain why he's my favorite driver: I started to follow him because of his racing style, because he was young and promising, because he was on Ford. After a couple of years he was the underdog with a chance of success in a RB dominated championship. 2016 was a fantastic year for him and he deserved the championship.
Nowadays, due to Penske's serious investment, he's back to the underdog status. That makes the championship even more interesting and intense.
I'm looking forward to next season.

While I agree with you on the other stuff you said, this I can't.

There are examples of dominant teams killing series and making manufacturers lack any chance in joining, FIA GT almost died because Mercedes pretty much killed the 90's GT1 category however, American Le Mans Series hasn't exactly died when Joest was winning LMP1 all the time, it died well after Joest stopped caring, multiple teams have attempted to join other series despite one ruling it all, why would Supercars be so different in 1 team is more dominant?

I wouldn't expect you too, nor any fans of T8.

Joest in ALMS was a small time thing and they actually had challengers the Penske Porsches, the ARM-1 and so on. They weren't ever going to kill the series but Porsche and Penske dabbled in nearly doing so. At least killing a category. Teams weren't joining because of that domination, and in the end ALMS had a hollow shell of a category when they changed the rules to stop what Porsche was doing. In the end it took a merger, and a massive rule shift to seem enticing for manufactures to come about. V8s have had the major rule change, but no interest because of the many reason I've said.

Having a team dominate a formula like series or prototype is one thing, but a spec series where teams are pairing equal technology to one another and having a team so dominant that it seems such parity is below them, is unattractive. Either you want the series to flourish or you want to keep things how they are you can't really have both.

What if Craig Baird handed out that penalty to Whincup, at Phillip Island? Anyone new coming in, needs to understand the rules(it ain't easy when they change rules race by race).

What if Craig Baird handed out that penalty to Whincup, at Phillip Island? Anyone new coming in, needs to understand the rules(it ain't easy when they change rules race by race).

Exactly my point, we've all echoed this more and more over the past couple years. Maybe VASC will learn, I don't see it happening.

Back