2017 World Rally ChampionshipRally 

• Thread starter Accro2008
  • 776 comments
Because manufacturer points are awarded to the top ten cars registered to score points in the manufacturers' championship. Only M-Sport, Hyundai, Toyota and Citroën are registered to score points. Sordo was fourth, so he got twelve points for Hyundai. Neuville was fifteenth on the road, but the sixth manufacturer entry to finish, so he got eight. Elfyn Evans finished ahead of Neuville, but the rules say that only the best two results for a manufacturer will count. Ogier in first and Tänak in third scored M-Sport's points, so Evans technically wasn't classified in the manufacturers' standings.

Now I get it

Would love it if the new 2017 cars are featured in the just announced DiRT 4!

OT, but we're not sure when it's going to launch. I'm going to guess 2018, so the chance of having 2017 WRC cars in (or at least some of them) is pretty damn high.

EDIT: nvm, I thought there was no release date, going off the trailer itself. With the release date of June 2017, I'd say the chance of 2017 cars being in the game at launch is pretty much 0. Maybe as DLC.

I've noticed a few interesting stories on Autosport of late: firstly, Ford have dismissed talk of returning to IndyCar; now, overnight, they say that a return to Formula One is not on their radar. There doesn't appear to be anything to have to have triggered this, except for the talk that they may come back to the WRC. I wonder if they are indeed poking around, looking at getting back into motorsport.

For a layman, why is that? Not following regs, or what?
It wasn't homologated on time. In order to compete, a car needs to go through a process of making sure that it meets the technical regulations and that the manufacturer produces a certain number of the road-going base model (to prevent bespoke performance cars with no resemblance to a road car from competing). While the Polo WRC would satisfy these conditions, Volkswagen withdrew before the due date for cars to be submitted for homologation, and so the car was never submitted. In order to compete, the Polo WRC would need a special exemption from the FIA, which has never happened before. They haven't given any specific reasons why they refused, but my guess is the law of unintended consequences - by granting the exemption, it sets a precedent for other manufacturers could follow and which could do damage to the sport. Given that the plan to run the Polo WRC would have only seen a single car make three appearances, the FIA obviously felt it wasn't worth it.

Ogier came close to staying with Volkswagen this year; Martin Prokop's team were going to run the cars:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128039/ogier-was-close-to-prokoprun-vw-deal-for-17

David Evans seems to think that with the FIA rejecting the homologation exemption, the Volkswagen Polo WRC's fate has been sealed and the car will never be seen in competition. But I don't see why it couldn't be homologated in time for 2018 - with the sport undergoing an overhaul of the regulations and the season starting with a shortage of 2017-specification cars, I can't see the FIA implementing further changes to the technical regulations that would disqualify the Polo WRC from being homologated.

Ostberg has topped today's shakedown:
XJQkxBL.jpg

Tanak and Ogier took it easy to preserve their studded tyres in case they're needed later in the weekend.

Monte Carlo is notorious for being a rally of attrition. Sweden has no such reputation. Toyota know they're still developing the car, so expecting them to retain the lead after a single point-and-squirt super special stage would require everyone else to have a massive brainfart.

Latvala has just taken another 6 seconds out of Ogier on a proper stage... (Won't be enough for a stage win but the Toyota is a competitive car).

As much as I'd love Paddon to win, I don't think that's going to happen.
In that case, please, please, let it be anyone but Oger.

Not a disaster from 11.5 miles, the car is there or thereabouts already.
I don't think we'll get a representative idea of the car's pace until Portugal. For one, that will give the team the opportunity to iron out the kinks on the operational side, but the opening rounds of the season are also very varied - snow and tarmac, snow and gravel, rough gravel at high altitude and tarmac. It's not until Portugal, Argentina and Sardegna that we start getting consistent surfaces.

Ogier losing a lot of time to Latvala, but it's definitely down to road sweeping - Ogier is the first man into the stages, but Latvala is ninth or tenth.

JML just won Stage 4 and has taken the overall lead of the rally. I'm rooting for Ogier, but it's nice to see a new car doing so well thus far.

Ogier losing a lot of time to Latvala, but it's definitely down to road sweeping - Ogier is the first man into the stages, but Latvala is ninth or tenth.

Latvala is actually second on the road, as the order is determined by championship position for the first day.

In addition, even if he was running around 9th or 10th that would be a huge disadvantage, there is not enough snow so the later cars like Ostberg are digging down into the mud and can't find any grip.

Back