2017 World Rally ChampionshipRally 

• Thread starter Accro2008
  • 776 comments
My point exactly.
If they added power without increasing the aero grip, the cars might be harder to drive, but you wouldn't get much of a spectacle. You'd just get cars that aren't much faster than an R5 because drivers would have to consciously limit the throttle input.

How bout that Toyota @prisonermonkeys ;)
Well, if I was going to assume that I could assess it based on its performance on the single most unique event of the season and take that assessment as representative of the car's performance for the rest of the season, I would point out that it's been easily bested by the Hyundai and it looks like the Fiesta will catch them fairly easily.

Latvala is going to have a hard time keeping the M-sport guys behind him tomorrow. With only 4 seconds on Tanak and 16 on Ogier, I'd be surprised if he ended the rally better than 3rd. Not dissing him at all, but he's only leading because of problems for others (Tanak's gearbox, Neuville's crash). That said, who would have thought it would be Latvala of all people who kept his nose clean and reaped the benefits!?

That said, who would have thought it would be Latvala of all people who kept his nose clean and reaped the benefits!?
We know he's quick when he's focused. He's just prone to mistakes when he's under pressure. In that sense, joining Volkswagen was a mistake - he might have had the fastest car, but his position within the team was perpetually under threat because Ogier and Mikkelsen could easily usurp him. I wonder what would have happened if he moved to Hyundai instead; the i20 would not have been as fast as the Polo, but the team would have been a very productive environment for him. Moving to Toyota has given him a whole lot of breathing space; Hänninen can't challenge him, and Lappi's focus will be on getting up to speed.

Well, if I was going to assume that I could assess it based on its performance on the single most unique event of the season and take that assessment as representative of the car's performance for the rest of the season, I would point out that it's been easily bested by the Hyundai and it looks like the Fiesta will catch them fairly easily.
Or you can just say they're doing great. Regardless of the fact that they're new. And Latvala sits in the lead of the second day, driving pretty well but somewhat carefully to his own admission. Not sure why, but it seems like a big deal for you to admit that they have actual pace. If the Fiesta was going to catch them fairly easily then why has it taken so long?

it seems like a big deal for you to admit that they have actual pace
Oh, they have pace. I'm just not getting carried away with suggestions that they can regularly fight for podiums and wins, especially considering that the first three events are three of the four most unique events on the calendar - Monte Carlo is snow and ice on tarmac, Sweden is snow and ice over gravel, and Mexico is rough gravel at high altitude (the fourth unique rally is Spain, with its mid-rally surface change). You can't really assess the merits of a brand-new car based on those three events; Argentina is probably the first representative event since it's the first of five pure gravel rallies in a row (Argentina, Portugal, Sardegna, Poland and Finland).

That's definitely more of a driver error than his Monte Carlo retirement, but given that he couldn't turn the car left to get out of the barrier, it looks like the initial impact broke his steering.

Looks like the three-way fight for the lead is now a two-way fight - Ogier spun on the first stage of the day. And it may be even more anticlimactic; Tänak lost six seconds to Latvala and may have a problem with his differential.

I'm not usually a fan of Latvala's but I really hope he can hold the lead through the power stage now, I've been waiting 15 years for another Tommi Makinen win.

Latvala fastest on SS17, looks like a win for Toyota and points lead for Latvala, certanly didn't see this coming.

Latvala wins for Toyota! With power stage victory as well (hanninen is going quite slow)
Hanninen hit a bridge on the penultimate stage so probably has damage.

Great job from Toyota so far and Tommi Makinen, their only mistake so far was to not properly sort the cars setup for Ogier's test.

Toyota should've signed Mikkelsen not Hanninen.

If Volkswagen didn´t make a dick move and told about pulling out of WRC until the very end I am 100% sure Mäkinen would choose Mikkelsen, but Hänninen was already signed with Toyota so not much to do, but no worries he will only drive for Toyota for 1 year. Anyways, altough I knew Latvala would win I was not so sure about taking full powerstage points consider he was in the lead and probably would not want to risk throwing away a certain victory.

Hanninen will come good once he's back up to speed with the championship, expect a lot more from him in Mexico, he will have a great road position for the first day (the only other '17 car behind him will be Meeke) and should be right in the fight.

Hanninen will come good once he's back up to speed with the championship, expect a lot more from him in Mexico, he will have a great road position for the first day (the only other '17 car behind him will be Meeke) and should be right in the fight.

Sure the road order position will give him advantage the first day but he seems to not be able to keep the car on the road, with Hänninens poor performance I doubt Toyota can take the manufacturers title unless Esapekka Lappi saves them but he will arrive first in spring wich I assume is at Corsica rally.

I had a good feeling about the Yaris this weekend. Huge congrats to Latvala and Toyota! I know that if it weren't for Neuville crashing, 2nd place may have been all they could do, but they showed pace and tire life by winning the last stages. In only their 2nd race back it hopefully just gets better from here. I don't think this was a fluke. Toyota is ready to challenge at least for the wdc.

I'm an M-Sport fan at heart but I'm equally as excited to see Toyota taking their first win in the Yaris. Hopefully they can maintain this pace throughout the season and give Ogier a run for his money!

unless Esapekka Lappi saves them but he will arrive first in spring wich I assume is at Corsica rally
It's believed that he will join from Corsica, but may be held back until Portugal. There is some question as to the availability of cars.

Hopefully they can maintain this pace throughout the season and give Ogier a run for his money!
If anyone can, it's Thierry Neuville. Provided that he keeps his nose clean. He should, by rights, be leading the championship with two wins.

I think Hanninens contract was finalized and signed before the management at VW panicked and shut down everything motorsport related.
Half right. Hänninen was signed months in advance, but Volkswagen did not panic. They had no reason to. They withdrew because they wanted to be seen as responsible in the aftermath of the emissions scandal - they couldn't be throwing millions of dollars at a motorsport programme while public opinion was against them.

Hanninen will come good once he's back up to speed with the championship, expect a lot more from him in Mexico,
Well, he needs to. Three rally-ending accidents in two events is never a good look, least of all when your team-mate takes a win and a podium in those same two events. I can understand Mäkinen's desire to keep a test and development driver in the car when there are still gains to be made, and I appreciate that Hänninen is coming back to the sport after an extended absence and that he is faced with two difficult rallies straight away, but I can't see him keeping his seat at the current rate.

If anything I think his extended absence should've worked in his favour. He went straight from a half season with Hyundai in 2014 to testing with Toyota in 2015, he probably has more experience in the new generation of cars than any other driver in the field. Hanninen will never come good, he was useless at Hyundai and he's useless now.

Back