Rally 2017 World Rally Championship

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Accro2008, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Accro2008

Accro2008

There is no testing restriction for P2 Drivers (WRC2) concerning WRC cars. ;)
    http://www.fia.com/regulation/category/119
    > Sporting regulation > Point 66 Testing

edit : Mads Østberg should also be in Monte Carlo with a 2016 fiesta wrc Team Adapta Motorsport, and with a private 2017 fiesta wrc later in the season.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  2. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

No surprises there - he owns Adapta.

3. GOTMAXPOWER

GOTMAXPOWER

Almost, his dad Morten Ostberg runs the team. Would be a welcome re-union though, Mads' best results came with the family team in 2012.

Another quirk from the RMC entry list is that the works Citroen team will enter their 3rd driver Craig Breen in a DS3 (Not enough C3's will be ready for the start of the season).

4. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

That's been known for a while - ever since Citroën announced their drivers. It should be ready in time for Corsica.

5. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

6. Simmpa

Simmpa

7. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

It won't be in 2017. And it may not be in 2018, either. It depends on how he progresses through the feeder categories.

8. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

The FIA have published a list of manufacturer entries for the season. As expected, M-Sport, Hyundai, Citroën and Toyota are all there. There is no mention of a privately-entered Volkswagen or DMACK, but we know that DMACK plan on running at least one (and possibly two) Fiestas. They may have to run in the WRC Trophy until the new cars are ready.

9. Accro2008

Accro2008

Local newspaper Nice Matin announces 75 entries at the Rally Monte Carlo 2017 (confirmed by the Automobile Club Monte Carlo) :
    http://www.nicematin.com/auto/75-equipages-au-depart-du-85e-rallye-monte-carlo-102715

10 wrc 2017 at the start, with Evans in the third 2017 ford fiesta wrc under the D-Mack banner.
    Also Mikkelsen running as an official Skoda Driver; and a few RGT on the list with a bunch of new 124 abarth (Delecour, Betti...) and Romain Dumas in a 911 gt3rs, no news yet concerning WRC-Cup entries.
    Full list to be unveiled later.

Edit : In Norvegian Newspaper interview, Mikkelsen says he is hoping for a 2017 Polo wrc in Sweeden :
    http://www.vg.no/sport/motorsport/m...te-vm-planen-gaar-for-gull-i-2018/a/23877895/

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  10. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Makes sense. The rescue deal was happening far too late for Monte Carlo. If the 2017 Polo started the season in Sweden, there is no chance of winning the Manufacturers' title.

11. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Autosport are reporting Mikkelsen's situation slightly differently, suggesting that the Qatari bid to run the 2017 Polos is dead in the water in all but name, and that Nasser al-Attiyah will compete in the WRC Trophy in a 2016 Polo instead.

12. Accro2008

Accro2008

And here is the last contender the C3 wrc 2017 :
    [​IMG]
    A bit sooner for GTP than anywhere else. :D

edit : One more picture
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  13. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

No major revisions to the car compared to the version we saw earlier. The rear wing looks new, but isn't substantially different. Surprised at how underdeveloped the car looks from behind; the rear end of the Fiesta and Yaris would not look out of place in a Star Wars film, but the C3 just looks like a C3.

Kamuifanboy likes this.
  14. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Am I the only one who finds the C3 livery boring? Especially following the 2016 design.

Accro2008 likes this.
  15. Accro2008

Accro2008

Not a fan either, this year livery was made by Vanuf design, I love his work : https://facebook.com/VanufArtDesign/
    Too bad they didn't call him back ...

16. twitcher

twitcher

It looks like their WTCC cars from last year. It's ok I guess.

17. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

I seem to recall reading somewhere that when Citroën decided to commit to the WRC and walk away from the WTCC, they decided to use the C-Elysée to test and develop parts for the C3 WRC.

18. twitcher

twitcher

I was talking about the livery specifically. I could definitely see them doing that though...very different race cars, but race cars none the less.

Completely unrelated, but does anyone know where this is?

Not very high speed, but damn is it narrow and twisty. Kind of takes "Green Hell" to a whole new level :lol:

19. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

The new rules were introduced to make the cars a little racier.

20. Accro2008

Accro2008

Did a quick montage of all the new cars to compare them :
    [​IMG]
    What's your favorite ?

Japan, rally Tour de Kyushu 2014. :tup:

21. Spacegoat

Spacegoat Premium

For me, it's a tough choice between Hyundai and Citroen.

They'll all fantastic looking machines though.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    Accro2008 likes this.
  22. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Hyundai, Fiesta, C3, Yaris.

Kamuifanboy and Accro2008 like this.
  23. JC_Dude

JC_Dude

The Yaris definitely look the maddest. For now, the Citroen looks the best, but I'll wait until they reveal the Fiesta's livery to make the final call.

Accro2008 likes this.
  24. 05XR8

05XR8

Yaris looks over the top.

Hyundai looks dated. The over fenders from the side, don't match the silhouette.

DS3 looks simple and plain. Maybe good. Maybe in a bad way.

The Fiesta looks like "DC" should be displayed all over.

25. thestig1030

thestig1030

[​IMG]

what the hell? is that a quatar livery?

facebook: Volkswagen-RALLYTHEWORLD

26. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

27. Accro2008

Accro2008

Those colors also remind me a bit of the norvegian flag. :D

28. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Having watched the video posted to Twitter, they're clearly trying to set something up. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it does seem like a fairly elaborate production for something like a reveal of the car they were going to enter.

29. GOTMAXPOWER

GOTMAXPOWER

It wouldn't be the first time we've seen a country sponsorship deal try to save a team from withdrawal:
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully this effort is more successful and we can see Mikkelsen and Al-Attiyah in Sweden (Missing RMC makes more sense with this scenario, Nasser will be busy in Argentina racing an Hilux).

30. twitcher

twitcher

Thanks :). Has Japan ever held a round for WRC? With Toyota back in the mix, I personally think it would be awesome if there was a WRC round in Japan...mostly Tarmac, preferably in Gunma Prefecture :p

I was actually watching some of the coverage of the 2015 Japan Rally Championship on Toyota Gazoo's official channel (no idea why there's no 2016 coverage), and they have some really cool looking stages. Some of the Togë stages are so iconic, and beautiful, and fast as hell, while some of the "special stages" through parks in urban areas look spectacular, and lastly you have insanely tight and twisty stages through forest so thick it feels like you're in a tunnel.

Accro2008 likes this.