2017 World Rally ChampionshipRally 

• Thread starter Accro2008
  • 776 comments
Welp i believe that it is a Qatar livery:

FB_IMG_1482802637609.jpg

Edit: Nevermind it appears that its a fan render, thanks to @aarror ror for the clear-up.

Last edited:
Welp i believe that it is a Qatar livery:
What's your source?

I ask because there are a couple of errors - first, it's a 2016 Polo; you can tell by the rear wing. And secondly, the window numbers are wrong. 1, 2 and 3 are for M-Sport.

So is this like the M Sport of Volkswagen?
I would imagine so.

Are they getting some minor support from VW.
I expect that Volkswagen would authorise the use of the Polo WRC, but nothing more.

I was looking at the comments of the video on FB where they slightly show the livery and there was a person who had that picture of the cars.
I thought it might be something like that. The Red Bull livery in the video is very different to the image you posted - it's a 2016 Volkswagen design with more red. I find the addition of that red significant, because it suggests Red Bull want to keep backing someone; my money is on Mikkelsen.

I also doubt Østberg will drive a Polo. Popular opinion has him returning to Adapta, the team he drove for before he joined Citroën, and contesting either the WRC Trophy or the WRC-2 championship until a new Fiesta WRC can be prepared.

A bit of WRC news from the past few days:
2017 Polo's won't be seen this year, there is lots of support from Qatar but it will need more time, that's possible for 2018 now.

Mads Ostberg will form a 2 car Adapta team using 2017 Fiesta's from Rally Sweden (under the M-Sport team name because of the current regulations).

2017 Polo's won't be seen this year, there is lots of support from Qatar but it will need more time, that's possible for 2018 now.
That's disappointing, but I can't see the reason for the delay. When the privateer deal was first suggested, it was made out that a start in Monte Carlo was possible. The car already exists, so I don't see why they can't make Sweden or Mexico, given that M-Sport have just announced that they are working on two for Østberg and Prokop to be ready in time for Sweden.

That's disappointing, but I can't see the reason for the delay. When the privateer deal was first suggested, it was made out that a start in Monte Carlo was possible. The car already exists, so I don't see why they can't make Sweden or Mexico, given that M-Sport have just announced that they are working on two for Østberg and Prokop to be ready in time for Sweden.
I think the initial delay was in sorting funding out, in that time Ogier (who had been part of the original plan) joined M-Sport which complicated things.

I find it incredible that Evans get to join M-Sport but not proven rally winner Mikkelsen
Evans was being earmarked for a while. He is quick, but his craft needs refining. It was widely expected that he would get promoted before Volkswagen withdrew.

Mikkelsen will find something. The issue at the moment is that there aren't enough cars to go around. Once more are built and the FIA relaxes the rules as to who can enter which car, a seat will become available.

I find it incredible that Evans get to join M-Sport but not proven rally winner Mikkelsen
But Daddy owns the team :rolleyes:

He's a 5th - 10th place, several minutes off the pace driver at best but, that racks up points in the Championship so he's safe.

But Daddy owns the team :rolleyes:

He's a 5th - 10th place, several minutes off the pace driver at best but, that racks up points in the Championship so he's safe.
Not quite, the team bosses son is Mathew Wilson (who is running the works M-Sport Bentley GT3 team now). Elfyn Evans' dad is BRC legend Gwyndaf. Also the team Evans will drive for is not actually M-Sport but the DMACK team Tanak drove for last season. I agree though about better options being available, I rate Mikkelsen, Ostberg and Kajetanowicz higher than Evans.

Lorenzo Bertelli confirmed he will be back for Rally Sweden after missing RMC, no details on what he'll be driving yet but I would guess it will be a 2016-spec Fiesta WRC.

Not quite, the team bosses son is Mathew Wilson (who is running the works M-Sport Bentley GT3 team now). Elfyn Evans' dad is BRC legend Gwyndaf. Also the team Evans will drive for is not actually M-Sport but the DMACK team Tanak drove for last season. I agree though about better options being available, I rate Mikkelsen, Ostberg and Kajetanowicz higher than Evans.

Lorenzo Bertelli confirmed he will be back for Rally Sweden after missing RMC, no details on what he'll be driving yet but I would guess it will be a 2016-spec Fiesta WRC.
My bad :banghead:

For some reason, when reading Elfyn Evans, my brain said Mathew Wilson :boggled:

I obviously need another cup of coffee :embarrassed:

Suninen and Camilli confirmed as WRC-2 driver for M-Sport with a few selected events in the 2017 fiesta for each of them.

Evans confirmed as a D-Mack driver in the 2017 fiesta wrc.

Mikkelsen says in an interview he is still looking to run a polo wrc later this year, but he won't be in Sweden :
http://www.svt.se/sport/motorsport/vm-trean-missar-svenska-rallyt/

Huyndai (Neuville), Toyota (Latvala) and M-sport (Ogier) testing today ahead of Monte Carlo in tricky snow/wet conditions. Ogier seems to have crashed the 2017 fiesta wrc.

post-1072-0-74977900-1484069036.jpg

Latvala was in a hurry :D

C11SJB7WIAYwSHf.jpg

Edit : Neuville had a small off in the i20 too, lot of technical problems also which means he couldn't test very much.

Edit 2 : Great News, Looks like we are getting closer and closer to see a Polo wrc 2017 running this season :

Last edited:
Suninen and Camilli confirmed as WRC-2 driver for M-Sport with a few selected events in the 2017 fiesta for each of them.
Interesting that they grabbed Suninen. He's definitely a talent, but he seemed to be a lock for Toyota. That was before Mäkinen signed Latvala on, but I was expecting him to run in a privately-backed WRC-2 team this year, not jump ship entirely and run with M-Sport.

The pressure is definitely going to be on Eric Camilli, though.

Either a part of VW Motorsport under the team name Even Management or Printsport the team that runs Even management cars.
I can't see them running as Volkswagen Motorsport. The whole point of withdrawing was to be seen as socially responsible. And I have never heard of Printsport before.

I can't see them running as Volkswagen Motorsport.

Because they wont ;),
"@EVENmanagement is trying to get a dispensation from the @fia & the other teams will have to confirm it. After that @VolkswagenRally is ready to run the car privately for @AMikkelsenRally on selected events of the WRC 2017."
If it happens the private team name will be Even Management (managed by Timo Jouhki). And either VW motorsport via a subcontract or Printsport (they have been running cars in wrc for years now) will take care of the car.

If it happens the private team name will be Even Management (managed by Timo Jouhki).
Oh, I very much imagine that the arrangement would be structured along the same lines as Ford and M-Sport or Citroën and PH Sport last year. I've just never heard of some of the key players here, which probably isn't all that surprising given the European focus of the sport and my being Australian.

Latest Posts

Back