2017 World Rally ChampionshipRally 

• Thread starter Accro2008
  • 776 comments
Oh, I very much imagine that the arrangement would be structured along the same lines as Ford and M-Sport or Citroën and PH Sport last year. I've just never heard of some of the key players here, which probably isn't all that surprising given the European focus of the sport and my being Australian.
If you look through the Finnish events on ewrc-results, Printsport Oy have been one of the top teams over there for years, probably even better than Makinen's team have done. I'm sure if they can get a deal to run the 2017 Polo they'll do a good job of it.

Autosport International 2017 starts today. Aside from M-Sport unveiling the final version of Ogier's livery (and Tänak's?), does anyone know of any other rally-themed exhibits and when they're scheduled?

Slight change on Ogier livery at Autosport Show, front end is now grey.
C19qVnKWEAAnExR.jpg

M-Sport also unveiled the Fiesta r5 evo 2 :
C19sJy4XcAET9_V.jpg

Autosport International 2017 starts today. Aside from M-Sport unveiling the final version of Ogier's livery (and Tänak's?), does anyone know of any other rally-themed exhibits and when they're scheduled?

Only thing I could find is the Autosport Live Feed :
http://www.autosport.com/live/commentary/id/2457659/thursday---autosport-international-2017

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but is anyone else following the Dakar Rally? We're 10 stages in (out of 12) and Sebastien Loeb is leading from Stephane Peterhansel by over 8 minutes. What a legend.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but is anyone else following the Dakar Rally? We're 10 stages in (out of 12) and Sebastien Loeb is leading from Stephane Peterhansel by over 8 minutes. What a legend.

It's not the right thread, you can make a thread though on it.

I'm going today so I'll have a look around, from previous years experience though not much shows up.

Well, the Rally Sweden entry list gets published today, so I thought Adapta/Jipocar might take the opportunity to launch.

Doesn't look like it here. I can't find the 2017 Fiesta either, they must've taken it away to prepare as a Bentley is in it's place.

Wales Rally GB have a big stand with a fair amount of BRC people on it too, other than that not many rally related stands.

I gotta say WRC.com new look is amazing
They've also upped the production values of the magazine show they produce. A lot of the graphics and music have been given a complete overhaul, and - I may be mistaken on this point, as I have only seen the Monte Carlo preview - there appears to be more of an effort to get cameras out into the field, rather than the studio-based stuff they have done a lot of in recent years. The only thing I didn't like was the route overview; they tried to show all of the day's stages on-screen at once, and there was practically no detail in them. I always liked the close-ups because you could see the elevation changes.

Speaking of Monte Carlo, it's almost a totally new route for 2017. More than two thirds of the stages have been changed from last year, and they have spliced last year's power stage into the Col de Turini to form a new power stage.

Sweden entry list has been published - Breen and Lefebvre swap seats, and Østberg returns in a 2017 Fiesta, as does Henning Solberg. No Prokop yet, but I imagine that he will take over Solberg's car after the rally.

With Toyota back in WRC, it would be great to see either a GT86 or SF-R in RGT. The GT86s that run in the Japanese rally championship look cool as 👍

Weren't Gazoo making a GT86 RGT?

Tommi Mäkinen made one to show Japan what his team was capable of doing.

Yep Mäkinen built one with an impreza engine, 4wd :
Tot.jpg

Unfortunaly it's far from an rgt car.

At least we have the gt86 r3 by TMG :
jbo_000img_7361.jpg

After seeing it in action on the stages a few time, I love that thing.

Last edited:
That Fiat 124 makes me hope that RGT will grow, something great about seeing a 2 door coupe rally car.
I'm surprised it's still going, to be totally honest. It's been a bit of a white elephant these past few years. But maybe the 124 is exactly what R-GT needs; the original vision of GT cars like the Porsche 911 failed to take hold.

They could easily just mix a GT4/RGT regulation to make it more cost effective, and better for car selection.
I doubt that would do much. GT cars simply aren't suited to rallying. You need four-wheel drive and a short wheelbase.

They could easily just mix a GT4/RGT regulation to make it more cost effective, and better for car selection.

That's a good idea, especially for older gt4 cars.
Guido Kenis a belgium rally driver was running a bmw z4 gt4 with a few adjustements in the belgium national rally championship. The car was pretty good, and it was a lot of fun to watch on the stages :
5762437635_7ea06d871e_b.jpg

2529362797.2.jpg

Too bad the car was later destroyed after a brake failure :
Getimage.aspx

With a more "open" regulation (similar to the belgium rally championship regs) rgt would be more accessible.

We even had an ex-wtcc bmw running in rallying for a while here :D :
rba_17.jpg

It's actually on sale : http://www.racedandrallied.com/race-cars-for-sale/bmw-e90-m3-wtcc

There was the Aston Martin Vantage Rally GT, which was basically a Vantage N24 (the predecessor to the Vantage GT4) in rally specs. GT4 has evolved only a little bit since the N24 was in competition, so it's certainly still possible that those spec cars could be modified for rally.

aston-martin-v8-vantage-rally-gt-08.jpg

so it's certainly still possible that those spec cars could be modified for rally.
Possible, yes, but unappealing. They're too big, too heavy, and the drivetrain isn't suited to rallying (and hasn't been for thirty years). Plus, other cars within Group R - particularly R3 and R5 - are readily accessible, comparatively cheap, and better suited to competition. The appeal of R-GT is limited to diehard fans of the class. I don't think that the FIA ever intended it to become a full-blown class of competition - rather a niche class to appeal to a segment of competitors - but all the same, it hasn't really achieved what it set out to do.

What about a Honda S660? That might make a pretty fun little rally car. Definitely need a turbo to boost it over its stock horse power :lol:

Back