• Yes - VAR is a success

• Yes - The principle is needed but VAR has been badly handled

• No - VAR was horrible and should not be continued

• No - Mistakes are part of football

• Undecided

• Other (please state)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Almiron or the £21 million?
The £21 million. You've got to go all the way back to Michael Owen in 2005 at £16 million for our previous record. It's just embarrassing that we've been spending peanuts compared to a lot of other clubs. No wonder we are in the absolute state we are in. I saw a stat the other day that said under Ashley we have only added £600,000 to our yearly commercial income whereas Everton have taken their commercial income from £6 million to £31 million in the same time.

I'll wait to see how Almiron gets on. He's got 12 goals and 18 assists this season which is really good but that's in MLS. It'll be interesting to see how it gets on in the Premier League.

Agreed, it is embarrassing for a club of Newcastle's size, and 21 million is pretty low in todays market.

Agreed, it is embarrassing for a club of Newcastle's size, and 21 million is pretty low in todays market.

That's the thing, back in 2005 £16 million was a decent sum of money to spend but these days £20 million gets you (only) a decent player. So for that amount of money to be our record signing tells it's own tale.

We still get 51,000 week in, week out and did so even in the Championship. And as I fan I feel powerless to do anything about it. Sure I could give up my season ticket but I've had it for 17 years now and I love my football team so would be gutted if it came to that. We had a genuine chance of doing something special with Benitez but the owner has done the bare minimum to support him. He's as dodgy as they come and the sooner he goes the better.

Ashley is too busy being the 'saviour of the High Street'. House Of Fraser, Debenhams and now he is trying to buy out HMV.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...-news/man-utd-transfer-gossip-sancho-15765795

If Sancho's smart he'll stay another whole year and a half in the Bundesliga. At that point he'll be 20 and more than ready for the EPL.

And I think a lot depends on how Dortmund finishes the year. If they win the league and/or the cup and make a decent run in Champions, I feel like there's a good chance he stays. If they fall apart though, he's probably long gone.

This seems appropriate for GTPlanet:

Mauricio Pochettino says Tottenham's bid to beat wealthier rivals to the Premier League title is similar to Fernando Alonso's attempt to win the Formula One crown with McLaren.

:lol:

Qatar won the Asian Cup.

Qatar won its group with a perfect record, scoring 10 and conceding 0 (including a 2-0 win over Saudi Arabia), then beat Iraq 1-0, South Korea 1-0 in the QF, hosts UAE 4-0 in the SF and then beat Japan 3-1 in the final.

I repeat, Qatar won the Asian Cup.

In other news, the UAE beat Kyrgyzstan 3-2 thanks to an extra time penalty awarded by Chinese referee Fu Ming. I can't imagine how the Kyrgyzstan players felt...

It was a weird cup to say the least, it was pretty hostile in the game against the UAE, with tensions between Qatar and UAE quite strained recently alot of the local crowd threw and hit alot of Qatar players with projectiles.

Sore losers.

Although Qatar has an appalling human rights record it does give their world cup more credibility I guess now.

It was a weird cup to say the least, it was pretty hostile in the game against the UAE, with tensions between Qatar and UAE quite strained recently alot of the local crowd threw and hit alot of Qatar players with projectiles.

Sore losers.

Although Qatar has an appalling human rights record it does give their world cup more credibility I guess now.
Correction, it gives the team credibility and at least shows they do have a smidgen of a right to be an automatic qualifier.

Leverkusen tops Bayern 3-1 while Dortmund draws Frankfurt 1-1. Dortmund extends their lead over Bayern to 7. If Monchengladbach win today, they tie Bayern in points and move into second due to goal differential.

edit: Gladbach win and move into 2nd.

Last edited:
Cardiff got themselves a big win at home to Bournemouth 2-0, very emotional there as it was their first home game since Sala's disappearance, Chelsea thumped Huddersfield 4-0 in which Higuaín got his first two goals for them, Wolves beat Everton 1-3 and the match was temporarily brought to a halt because a Black Cat made its way onto the pitch.

Leicester 0-1 Man United
Rashford's goals in the ninth minute proved to be the difference here (the ball from Pogba for that goal was filth!) was far from a vintage performance as Leicester had some great chances in the second half but its still a win and clean sheet, nine wins from ten for Ole now.

Man City 3-1 Arsenal
An Aguero hat-trick, the first coming after just 48 seconds, Koscielny got an equaliser and Arsenal came into the game after that but apart from those 15 minutes or so it was all Man City, Arsenal just too weak defensively and they have two great strikers but cant provide the service to them.

City close the gap to Liverpool to four points with Liverpool still to play tomorrow, Arsenal drop to sixth with United now up to fifth, just two points of Chelsea in fourth.

It's very close now in the fight for top 4. United have moved up to 5th and sit 2 points behind Chelsea. That puts top 4 in United's hands, Chelsea have the advantage, but if United beat them, then as long as we don't drop more points than Chelsea elsewhere, we have top 4. Easier said than done, and of course Arsenal aren't out of the running yet.

The plane that was carrying the missing Cardiff striker Emiliano Sala has been found, his family have been informed of the discovery, it was found on the sea bed of the English Channel 24 miles north of Guernsey. The plane carrying January signing Sala and British pilot David Ibbotson disappeared while flying over the English Channel on January 21st.

West Ham 1 - 1 Liverpool

West Ham are proving to be a hard team to beat in some of the big matches. Liverpool a bit lucky with a goal assisted by an offside player, but that’s football.

It's still Liverpool's title to lose.

Only 3 ahead of 4-loss City and 5 ahead of a wounded Spurs team doesn't seem too promising.

Man City play in mid week as well against Everton, no other League games on. I think it might be their game in hand from the cup final against Chelsea in a couple of weeks time.

Man City play in mid week as well against Everton, no other League games on. I think it might be their game in hand from the cup final against Chelsea in a couple of weeks time.
Everyone's currently on 25 games played, so the Everton match wll be City's 26th. If City win they will go top on goal difference but have played 1 more game than Liverpool.

I would be very surprised if Evertone got anything out of that game given their form lately. But, City have dropped a few unexpected points recently too.

I'm very interested in next weekends fixtures, United play Fulham at home and City play Chelsea at home, if both Manchester clubs win United will be in the top 4, 1 point ahead of Chelsea.

Rumours are spreading that Ole could be offered the United job full time if we get past PSG in the next round of the Champions League. As things stand I would be very happy with Ole, but I'm not sure it makes sense to make a decision this early. There's still a lot of games still to go.

Nantes have demanded the first payment for Emiliano Sala, Cardiff want to wait for further investigation.

Footage has emerged of Mo Salah being racially abused whilst taking a corner in the West Ham-Liverpool game on Monday, both West Ham and the FA are investigating.

There is something pretty distasteful about conducting business over a person who is, in all likelihood, still strapped into his seat in a plane that has been under 200ft of water for two weeks. A modicum of respect for his friends and family wouldn't be out of order, despite how much interest they may stand to lose from not having that £15m in their account for a few weeks.

It's really bad PR, but do football teams care about public image, especially a French team battling to avoid relegation?

Might be a stupid question.

They're entitled to the transfer fee and surely Cardiff will have to make an insurance claim. As it's a business the players, or rather thier rigthts to use the player are considered business assets and should be covered by insurance. I just hope like @Jezza819 it doesn't get nasty, the clubs should remember there are people who have tradgically lost thier lives here and the families will probably be aware of anything going on.

The respectful thing to do would be to keep the business side of it out of the press as best they can and quietly get on with what they need to do. Playing a media war here will not benefit anybody, not Nates, not Cardiff and most importantly of all, not the bereaved.

We should also consider that the press are at play here and will put a spin on things as they always do. There is a chance Nates have simply reminded Cardiff the transfer fee is due, and it's been leaked as a demand to the press. It's all come from the infamous Mr A Source at the moment, so we don't really know what is going on.

Perhaps Cardiff are actively looking for a way to renege on paying the fee and Nates are biting back. Perhaps Cardiff fully intend to pay the fee and Nates are happy with everything as it is and this is a non-story. Or, perhaps Cardiff are waiting for everything to settle but Nates are actually demanding payment right now. We don't really know at this point.

Last edited:
Investigators have confirmed that they have pulled a body from the wreckage of the plane.

Man City beat Everton 0-2 and it finished 1-1 in the El Clasico Copa del Rey first leg.

They're entitled to the transfer fee and surely Cardiff will have to make an insurance claim. As it's a business the players, or rather thier rigthts to use the player are considered business assets and should be covered by insurance. I just hope like @Jezza819 it doesn't get nasty, the clubs should remember there are people who have tradgically lost thier lives here and the families will probably be aware of anything going on.

The respectful thing to do would be to keep the business side of it out of the press as best they can and quietly get on with what they need to do. Playing a media war here will not benefit anybody, not Nates, not Cardiff and most importantly of all, not the bereaved.

We should also consider that the press are at play here and will put a spin on things as they always do. There is a chance Nates have simply reminded Cardiff the transfer fee is due, and it's been leaked as a demand to the press. It's all come from the infamous Mr A Source at the moment, so we don't really know what is going on.

Perhaps Cardiff are actively looking for a way to renege on paying the fee and Nates are biting back. Perhaps Cardiff fully intend to pay the fee and Nates are happy with everything as it is and this is a non-story. Or, perhaps Cardiff are waiting for everything to settle but Nates are actually demanding payment right now. We don't really know at this point.

I forgot I saw that reportedly Cardiff's insurance in the case of a player death or accident was a max of £16,000,000...not sure how accurate or reliable that is though.

And I also saw it was due in three separate payments, and this might be the second or third payment, with the first coming at the sale.

Back