Does football need video referees?

• Yes - VAR is a success

• Yes - The principle is needed but VAR has been badly handled

• No - VAR was horrible and should not be continued

• No - Mistakes are part of football

• Undecided

• Other (please state)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm in work pretty much all day tomorrow so I have to post this a day early.

Here are the games for the final day on Sunday.

Sunday
Brighton v Man City (Sky)
Burnley v Arsenal
Crystal Palace v Bournemouth
Fulham v Newcastle
Leicester v Chelsea
Liverpool v Wolves (Sky)
Man United v Cardiff
Southampton v Huddersfield
Tottenham v Everton
Watford v West Ham

All games kick-off at 3pm.

Sky have two games involving Man City and Liverpool as the title race does to the final day.

I am going to Old Trafford to see the United game. 👍

Fulham have given the managerial post to Scott Parker permanently, seems like a good move as Fulham have been in good form since their relegation.

Predictions for this final week:
- Man City are up 3 or 4 nil at halftime and win the league easy. Aguero nets a hat trick and wins the Golden Boot.
- Liverpool win 2-1 and promise the fans they will bring home the Champions League trophy.
- Chelsea win comfortably 2-0 in Leicester with Hazard earning 2 assists in his last game with the club.
- Tottenham lose at home to Everton 2-1. It is not easy to keep up your form after such a dramatic mid-week match and Everton have looked good lately. Spurs have already clinched 4th anyway on goal difference.
- Arsenal draw 1-1 in Burnley to end a rough season for the Gunners. Batman gets another goal.
- Man United win 4-0 to end the league on a high note. Clean sheet for De Gea and two goals from Pogba who wants to give Real Madrid reason to open up their checkbook.

Salford City promoted to the Football League after a 3-0 playoff final win.

[/mild shock]

Ander Herrera confirmed to leave United at the end of the season.

The fact the club is letting him leave and Young, Jones and Smalling still at the club and earning over 100k per week each sums up how the club is being run right now, absolute shambles!.

I feel a bit bad as I was going to meet my Liverpool-mad mate in the pub to watch the game(s) this afternoon, but decided against it (not least because I have a meeting at work tomorrow morning, so shouldn't be drinking all afternoon/evening). He is now not going to the pub because I've pulled out, but in my defence I reckon it could be a painful afternoon for Liverpool anyway.

We have agreed, however, to meet up later if things are looking good for Liverpool - I'm going to watch the F1 and then see what the scores look like... if Liverpool are on course to win, then I'll possibly head to the pub to watch the last 10 minutes or so!

Congratulations to Manchester City on winning a second consecutive Premier League title, they beat Brighton 1-4 after going behind, Liverpool beat Wolves 2-0, it has been an extraordinary title race.

Results
Brighton 1- 4 Man City
Burnley 1-3 Arsenal
Crystal Palace 5-3 Bournemouth
Fulham 0-4 Newcastle
Leicester 0-0 Chelsea
Liverpool 2-0 Wolves
Man United 0-2 Cardiff
Southampton 1-1 Huddersfield
Tottenham 2-2 Everton
Watford 1-4 West Ham

I was at Old Trafford today to witness United's humiliating performance first hand, yeah it wasn't pretty, still I had a nice day out on my first visit to Old Trafford in 15 years, plus we were in a suite which meant it was free food and drink.

it has been an extraordinary title race.
Yes... kinda.

Look at the rest of the table. Liverpool's Champions League Final opponents are 26 points behind them - or an entire Fulham. The Europa Cup finalists are 25 and 27 points behind them, or an average of Fulham each. Their goal difference was +139. There's as a big a gap from Manchester City to Wolves in 7th (41pt, 71 goals) as there is from Wolves to Huddersfield (41pt, 55 goals) in last and one of the poorest seasons in history. Huddersfield are as worse than Wolves as Wolves are worse than Manchester City.

Yes, it went to the last day, and there was a point in it, but it was two teams obliterating everyone else instead of one. It didn't exactly twist and turn did it? The lead only kept switching between them because they rarely played on the same day!

Take 41pt off Championship-winning Norwich (which they didn't win until the last day), and you get sixth-bottom QPR (and it's worse than that because that's a 46-game season; it would, at the same rate of points per game, get you to fourth-bottom Millwall), and taking +71 goals off them only keeps them ahead of the bottom two (and, increasing it to a 46-game season, there's NO team 86 goals behind them). Everyone can, and does, beat everyone else in that division - and League One this year was even more nuts.

The Leicester season. That was an extraordinary title race - the good teams kept losing to teams they shouldn't have lost to, and even though it ended after 35 games there was more uncertainty right the way through. Perhaps I'm wrong and waiting until the final whistle of the final game of the season to find out which of the two steamrollers is ahead of a completely mashed field of rivals is more interesting than not knowing, week-in, week-out, who's going to win each game...

Ironically, people are saying the F1 is boring because they know which two cars of 20 are going to finish in 1st and 2nd at the start of the race, and the only excitement is in which way round they'll finish. This season's Premier League has been that, but for nine months instead of 100 minutes.

Last edited:
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Mo Salah and Sadio Mane share the golden boot, they all scored 22 goals each.

I think Stoke City (1863) have replaced Notts County as the oldest Football League club.

By foundation date yes but Stoke City only rejoined the football league in 2018. The longest-tenured Football League club is Preston North End but I know you knew that already. :D

And, as it's very near the end of the season, we're very near the expiration of this thread. It'll be over once the final games (play-offs and FA Cup final) have concluded at which point Manager Watch will be suspended but there's still time for departures as one unfortunate soul found out today.

26th April - Steve Lovell (Gillingham, sacked) League One
28th April - Derek Adams (Plymouth, sacked) League One

13th May - Chris Hughton (Brighton & Hove Albion, sacked) Premier League

Sacked - 35
Approaches - 3
Resigned - 6

Total - 44

I feel bad for Chris Hughton; he kept Brighton in the Prem twice in a row which is an amazing achievement but... 3 wins in 23 and 0 in the last 9 doesn't make for great reading.

I'm sure he'll find a job pretty easily at the very least. He does have a good overall track record.

Apprently Hakim Ziyech only has a 25 Million Pound release clause, that's got to suck for Ajax he would easily be worth double or more then that.

Swansea have reportedly rejected an approach from Brighton for Graham Potter.

Really hope he stays, if we have any chance of promotion next season then he has to stay.

huhsajzk.png

So Griezmann to Barca means Coutinho to Man United?

By the way, what are Chelsea doing? Reports in Italy claim they will sack Sarri after just 1 season because the club supporters have a "troubled" relationship with him. Even after a 3rd place finish to get them back into the Champions League and possibly winning the Europa League. Oh and after paying Napoli to break Sarri's contract and after paying off Conte to leave...

And now Conte has reportedly accepted the manager role at Inter and is looking to bring in Lukaku.

Last edited:
By the way, what are Chelsea doing? Reports in Italy claim they will sack Sarri after just 1 season because the club supporters have a "troubled" relationship with him. Even after a 3rd place finish to get them back into the Champions League and possibly winning the Europa League. Oh and after paying Napoli to break Sarri's contract and after paying off Conte to leave...

I feel bad for Sarri, in a way. He has endured a difficult first season, as some coaches do during their first season in a new country, finding out that his proven tactics won't work every week in the new league.

However he is dealing with a bad hand; we all know how Chelsea operate and when addressed with the Hazard speculation in a recent interview he said that he didn't know and that he's "only the head coach", which says a lot about the amount of power he is permitted to wield and the level of control he has within his grasp. To that, add the transfer ban next season and it's a tough job which I believe is always going to be tough and requires understanding and sympathy from fans and pundits alike.

Help me understand something. Chelsea is already in the Champion's League next year by finishing in the Premier League top 4. They play Arsenal for the Europa League championship which the winner automatically gets into Champion's League. But if Chelsea wins they are already qualified. Who gets the Europa League spot in Champion's League, Arsenal as runner up?

Help me understand something. Chelsea is already in the Champion's League next year by finishing in the Premier League top 4. They play Arsenal for the Europa League championship which the winner automatically gets into Champion's League. But if Chelsea wins they are already qualified. Who gets the Europa League spot in Champion's League, Arsenal as runner up?

Automatic placings in group stages are not passed down to the next best team in the division but instead to the next best league, as according to their UEFA coefficient.

If Chelsea win the Europa League, Austrian champions Red Bull Salzburg will enter the Champions League group stage automatically; the Austrian Bundesliga is the highest ranked UEFA top division (11th) without an automatic Champions League spot and would thus inherit any 'spare' automatic spot.

If Arsenal win the Europa League, they qualify for the Champions League group stages too and England will have 5 representatives in the competition overall.

Additionally, because both Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur have already automatically qualified for next year's tournament, will meet each other in this year's final and are from the same league, Lyon will qualify automatically for the Champions League group stage. France's Ligue Un is the highest ranked UEFA top division (5th) that still has a team enter a qualifying round. Lyon, who finished 3rd and would usually enter the later qualifying rounds, will instead go directly into the group stages.

It may be late, but congratulations to the 2018-2019 Premier League champions, those who got promoted, those who avoided relegation, and such. Again- I don't follow most football leagues as much as I would like to, so there are a few concepts I probably misunderstood. Heck, I often don't follow Major League Soccer as I probably should, speaking as a fan of my hometown Houston Dynamo. I certainly try to keep up with the United States National Team for both the men and the women.

Anyhow, just wanted to send some Premier League love.

those who got promoted, those who avoided relegation, and such.
That's not quite finished yet - there's still three play-off semi-finals and three play-off finals to go. Although if you're only into the moneyball league, there's one play-off semi-final and one play-off final to decide who's the last proper football league team to get promoted to the moneyball league.

Automatic placings in group stages are not passed down to the next best team in the division but instead to the next best league, as according to their UEFA coefficient.

If Chelsea win the Europa League, Austrian champions Red Bull Salzburg will enter the Champions League group stage automatically; the Austrian Bundesliga is the highest ranked UEFA top division (11th) without an automatic Champions League spot and would thus inherit any 'spare' automatic spot.

If Arsenal win the Europa League, they qualify for the Champions League group stages too and England will have 5 representatives in the competition overall.

Additionally, because both Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur have already automatically qualified for next year's tournament, will meet each other in this year's final and are from the same league, Lyon will qualify automatically for the Champions League group stage. France's Ligue Un is the highest ranked UEFA top division (5th) that still has a team enter a qualifying round. Lyon, who finished 3rd and would usually enter the later qualifying rounds, will instead go directly into the group stages.

Thanks, now I understand. Do these league rankings change each year?

Back